Swiss Itinerary! Thanks swan, Ingo, schuler

Day 1: Arrive Zurich, train to Guarda Hotel Piz Buin 3 nights
2. Hiking with Kev Reynold's book as my bible
3.Same
4. Train to Soglio Hotel Sogliono 2 nights
5. Hike
6. Train to Filisurs, hike Hotel Schontal overnight
7. Glacier express to Brig, then Sierre Hotel Atlantic
This is the part where we're doing the tour of the Val D'Anniviers. We'll walk town to town, luggage is transferred.
8. Walk to St.-Luc stay at Hotel Beausite
9. Hike to Zinal- Hotel Europe
10. Hike to Grimentz- Hotel Alpina
11. Hike to Vercorin- Hotel Hostellerie d'Orzival 2 nights
12. Vercorin- explore the Vallon de Rechy
13. Train to Geneva, home
I just wish I had two months. My kids are already giving me grief for this long. I like the second part of this, because the tourist department does all the work, all the taxes, transfers, maps and meals are provided.Very good deal IMO...about $200 a day in 3 star hotels (one 2 star)
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not commenting on your itinerary as i'll leave that to the experts you noted - but with this type of travel the Swiss Flexipass will save you tons of money - it gives you a certain number of days of travel in a one month period and for the whole month also 50% off everything that moves in Switzerland - buses, trams, boats, gondolas, mountain trains, funiculars, etc. - a great deal. If in the US you can save money on Swiss Passes by buying them there - significantly cheaper than buying in Switzerland for same pass. You can compare prices at www.sbb.ch for Swiss rail site and in US at www.raileurope.com - Raileurope does charge a $15 mailing fee - i always recommend a RailEurope agent, BETS (800-441-2387) who i've dealth with for years as they won't charge the $15 in many cases and are Swiss rail experts. You are doing enough train travel to make pass pay off - point-point fares at www.sbb.ch. Just recently i did an analysis on another post comparing US and Swiss prices for the pass and US are cheaper for some weird reason!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PalQ, but you're preaching to the choir, LOL! We got the saver pass last year (where 2 people travel together)and just loved it. It gave us so much flexibility and it was so easy. We loved the option of just hopping on a train and stopping wherever we liked. Same for buses. Isn't the Swiss transportation system fabulous? I bought mine in the US before we left, too.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Linda,

Your welcome! I've never hiked much in the Engadin. We've just drove through it many times with the motorbike or convertible.

I'd love to hear about trip afterwards! It looks fantastic. Now, if only the weather will cooperate!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM

Dear choir: yeh and with the 50% off bonus on everything for the whole month the Swiss Pass is even a better deal - last year it was 25% off and only on a day you used a travel day on the flexipass. Now folks may well buy shorter passes and actually get more benefits (by buying at 50% things you would once use a day of travel on).
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM

Hi LLindaC,

Wow, what a great plan! I forget when you're going --

You're hitting some untouristy areas that should make for a memorable visit. And your hikes!! I think you're going to remember this for a very long time.

**sigh**

Yup, if you don't post photos, we'll hunt you down . . .

s
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Leaving June 10, returning the 23. Last June we had 90 degree plus weather...go figure! At least we didn't get the floods, though!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:31 PM

Hope the weather cooperates! You hit some wonderful spots.

Curious as I am, I'd like to know more about the hikes you are planning in the Engadin area ;-) Any details available on your planned hikes from Guarda on days 2 and 3?

You know that you have to change to the bus in St. Moritz for Soglio, don't you?

Hotel Soglina, Soglio ... hm, it's probably the only modern and relatively ugly (and much too large) building in town (actually at the upper edge). I know, I know, it offers comfortable rooms and excellent views (you don't see it if you're inside, eh?). Hope you booked a room with VIEW! Palazzo Salis too expensive? What about Stüa Granda?

Finally a recommendation: You MUST do the hike "Panoramica" from Casaccia to Soglio on day 5.

Ingo
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Ingo, we are looking at different hiking options at this time. As I said, I have all of Kev Reynolds books and lonely Planet's and a few various hikes from the net. Even though we are close to the Swiss national forest, I heard that the hikes were not all that great. Yes, I know about the bus change, thank you ;-). That's why we opted to stay closer to the Glacier Express the last day. Good hiking in Filisur, too. If we left Soglio, we'd have to go at 7 am. YUK! Funny, the hotel Soglina has not answered my emails after 3 days! Do you think this is a sign? I chose it because it was in Karen Brown's book, but now I think I will look at the other two. BTW- the deal with the Val D'Anniviers is in 3 star hotels, except for Vercorin in 2, with all meals, taxes, luggage transfers and maps it comes to barely $200 per day. I think that's an incredible deal! Ingo, your help has been incredible! I will post again when we pick our hikes for your review.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:34 AM

Hm, I am anxiously waiting for your hiking choices ;-)

Hiking is great anywhere in Graubünden! I am sure Filisur has some great hikes to offer too. Btw, maybe you can do a hike from where you can see the famous Landwasser viaduct (which you will pass later witht the Glacier Express). It is more impressive from the distance than seeing it from the train.

I am surprised Hotel La Soglina is listed in Karen Browns's guide book. It is closed during winter.

The deal on Val d'Anniviers sounds excellent. It's a wonderful hiking region and the villages are nice too.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Just to let you know we booked the Palazzo Salis at your suggestion. Looks incredible, now if I only can get air for less than 1200 dollars, grrrrr.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:28 PM

I am envious!

1200 USD for airfare sounds a bit stiff, urgghh ;-(