Swiss hotel bed arrangements - Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the Swiss hotel beds set up as in Italy with twin beds pushed together to make a double?

I am looking for rooms for our family. I wish to find a double and two twins, either in a family room or two rooms. The pictures I see on hotel websites appear to show doubles that are separate twins pushed together. The email replies I have received from hotels never mention "twins". Other than bunk beds, are there twin beds to be found? How would I properly inquire so that the hotel would understand that I need separate twin beds for my teenagers? Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM

The best way to make any hotel owner in Switzerland to understand what you want is to say it in plain English. It would be a rare one indeed who wouldn't perfectly understand your English request.
My experience in Switzerland has been that nearly always the "double" rooms are two twin beds pushed together.
But simply tell them you want two separate twin beds for your two teenagers. You will not have a problem.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM

We have had lots of double beds in Switzerland - but the hotelier has always clearly understood the terms double and twns - and when its a sizeable hotel its just like in the US - you reserve what you want - but they ask again when you get there if you want double or two twins. Have never seen the double/double common in the US - assume you will need two connecting rooms.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Patrick and NY Traveler for your replies.

I have already sent out 6 or so email requests, which have clearly specified that I was looking for a family room with a double and two twins or two rooms, one with a double and the other two twins. I have heard back from 4 hoteliers and no one has offered me a quote with the twins. Instead, I am offered 2 double connecting rooms, etc. If the double beds split apart into 2 separate beds that might explain their responses.

I guess I'll just email them back and ask specifically if one double room can be set up as two twins.

Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

I think I have figured out the German/Swiss double bed. It's actually one frame with two separate mattrasses.

I'm sure there are hotels that have separate beds (twin bedded room), but most I have found have this single frame arrangement. Doesn't give you the option of pushing the beds apart when they're in a single frame.