Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Swiss Half Fare Card (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/swiss-half-fare-card-977482/)

princessleia May 10th, 2013 08:03 PM

Swiss Half Fare Card

Hi all,
Coupla q's regarding Swiss Half Fare card. So, I am planning on purchasing a Swiss Half Fare Card for my family (2 adults, 1- 4 yr old and 1- 1.5 yr old). So, before I board any train/bus/tram/boat, will I have to purchase the ticket for the other 50% not covered by the Half Fare Card? Also, I have read that the Swiss Half Fare Card will cover 50% of the ticket to Mt.Titlis and Jungfrau, 100% to Mt.Pilatus and 100% for the Golden Express. Is this true? Also are seat reservations required for the Golden Pass. We are planning on taking the Golden Express from Interlaken to Montreux at 9.00 in the morning. Also, since I am planning on purchasing the Swiss Half Fare Card once we are in Switzerland, how do I make the reservations for the Golden Express?

We are planning to spend one and a half day in Zurich. Wondering whether to buy the Zurich card for 24 hours or will the Swiss Half Fare Card suffice? We will be using public transportation from the Airport to HB station, then onto our hotel, then from the hotel to the attractions (toy museum, lake zurich and boat ride, old town and Uetliberg). This is all we are planning on doing in Zurich before heading to Lucerne. Please advise whether to get the Zurich Card in addition to the Swiss Half fare card or any Day Pass. Thanks in advance.

swandav2000 May 10th, 2013 08:16 PM

Hi princessleia,

Yes, you need to purchase a half-fare ticket. Just go to the ticket counter, ask for your ticket, and ask for the half fare. You can also do this with the ticket machines, which all have English function. On the machine, just look for the "1/2" button (the "1/1" is for full fare).

The Half Fare Card doesn't cover ANY ride in Switzerland 100%. You always have to get a half-fare ticket.

Seat reservations are not required for the Golden Pass -- but if you are going around noontime in August, I would recommend making them. They cost around 7 chf per person. The exception to this is if you want to sit in the VIP seats at the very front and the very rear of the train -- those VIP seats require a first-class ticket and reservations. You make reservations at

www.goldenpass.ch

I've never had to show my HFC to the ticket counter when making reservations or buying tickets; the only time I've ever shown it is on the train, when the conductor looks at my ticket, then s/he looks for the HFC.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Melnq8 May 10th, 2013 08:21 PM

<So, before I board any train/bus/tram/boat, will I have to purchase the ticket for the other 50% not covered by the Half Fare Card?>

Yes, just show your card at time of purchase. Each adult will need a card (kids are free). Bus tickets are purchased as you board the bus.

The Half Fare card will suffice in Zurich as it includes a 50% discount on urban transport. I certainly see no need to purchase yet another pass, unless you've crunched the numbers and doing so significantly reduces your day's transport.

dreamon May 10th, 2013 10:16 PM

You can get junior cards for the kids at 30chf which gives them free travel. Applies to under 16 but not sure what the lower age is. You may find not required for under 4. We've bought them a couple of times for our kids.

indy_dad May 10th, 2013 10:38 PM

<i>You can get junior cards for the kids at 30chf which gives them free travel. Applies to under 16 but not sure what the lower age is. You may find not required for under 4. We've bought them a couple of times for our kids.</i>

There seems to be some confusion about this (on other threads as well). Perhaps something has changed over the years, but currently there is no need to get the junior cards as the Swiss Family Card is free.

http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/en/...y-card-en.html

From the site:
<i>
Swiss Family Card
Coming to Switzerland with the whole family? Take advantage of the Swiss Family Card. It can be requested free of charge with every Swiss Travel System ticket.

Advantages at a glance

Children under age 16 travel free of charge when accompanied by at least one parent holding a Swiss Travel System ticket</i>

neckervd May 11th, 2013 01:50 AM

"I have read that the Swiss Half Fare Card will cover 50% of the ticket to Mt.Titlis and Jungfrau, 100% to Mt.Pilatus and 100% for the Golden Express. Is this true? "
What do you mean exactly?

princessleia May 11th, 2013 05:28 AM

"I have read that the Swiss Half Fare Card will cover 50% of the ticket to Mt.Titlis and Jungfrau, 100% to Mt.Pilatus and 100% for the Golden Express. Is this true? "
What do you mean exactly?

By this I mean that if I have the Swiss Half Fare Card, then I will only have to pay 50% of the ticket to Mt.Titlis and Jungfrau, 100% to Mt.Pilatus and 100% for the Golden Express. I am not sure about it, I need to confirm. Thanks.

Melnq8 May 11th, 2013 03:09 PM

Half Fare means you pay half fare, unless something is specifically not covered. Both the Golden Pass and Mt Pilatus are covered per their respective websites.

http://www.goldenpass.ch/CMS/default.asp?ID=256

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/railway-cableways/prices/

dreamon May 12th, 2013 12:18 AM

I agree there is confusion on this forum about travel passes for kids. In our family, the adults purchased half fare cards and we were asked to buy junior passes for the kids. Perhaps it is different if you buy a full pass?

KimSanJose May 16th, 2013 09:25 PM

By purchasing Half Fare Card you are entitled to the free Family Card (children under 16 travel for free with a parent) but you need to ask for it. Sounds like whomever sold you the HFCs was trying to score some additional revenue by asking you to also buy junior passes.

See post from indy_dad above, this is accurate. An HFC is one of the Swiss Travel System tickets.