Swiss + France Travel

Jun 7th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Swiss + France Travel

I'm travelling to Lyon via Geneva. I understand there is rail service via SBB but they require tickets to be sent via mail for an extra charge ( I live in New York) Is it complicated to purchase tickets once I arrive in Geneva or more expensive? I have 12 days before the trip am I certain to recieve the tickets via mail?

Jun 7th, 2003, 07:24 PM

If you use one of the American affiliates of Eurail (I used Raileurope) they should be able to tell you all that you know in order to reserve the ticket. Most trains there require reservations however NOT ALL DO. The trick is know which ones require reservations. As far as getting the tickets, you will get them with in 2-3 days of ordering them in the States but, you will pay the shipping charge ($10-20).
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:30 PM

I never heard of any requirement to get a ticket through the mail. Walk up to the ticket window in Geneve and buy a ticket to Lyon. I personally like to buy a day or so ahead of time to avoid the risk of a line at the ticket window or a close arrival at the train station because of reasons beyond my control.
But with about 6 trains a day, I don't think there is a potential problem.

The first trains leave early, 6:01 and 7:08 for a 2 hour (about) trip, and then not again until 10:30 and 12:40. There are 6 more connections later on in the day.
According to both the SBB and the SNCF web sites there is no reservation required to ride to Lyon.

There is a mention on the SNCF site that you leave from the SNCF station.
I am not sure if that is a totally separate station or not. It has been a while since I went to a French town from Geneve.

The sbb site indicates that you leave from the same station as trains coming in from other Swiss cities to Geneve.
I say this because the track numbers for the incoming train and departing train are very close to each other.

I am curious. Who told you that you needed to buy your ticket before you got to Geneve. I myself never heard of such. Anybody else here tell of such a procedure?

You been talking to Rail Europe??
Jun 8th, 2003, 03:05 AM

Adding to Bob Brown's post, I can tell you the followings since I have taken the train Geneva-Lyon many times including once last April :

No need to buy your ticket beforehand at all. You just might have a line to wait for 5-10 minutes maximum. For your peace of mind, however, you could buy the day before. The trains for this routing are a sort of regional ones (Rhone-Alpes) and usually you can not even reserve your seats even if you wish. There are a few TGV trains to Lyon now since about a year or 2 which demand reservation/ supplement but if you are only going to Lyon, no need to take TGV. Besides, TGV goes only to Lyon-Part-Dieu and not till Lyon-Perrache while you don't have to change with many of the ordinary trains till Perrache.

Last time the ticket was something like CHF 30.00 one way. Also, referring to Bob Brown's comments, you take the trains for Lyon from the same Geneva-Cornavin station. They usually leave from the track No.7 (No.8 for TGVs). Have your passoport ready because you will have to pass Swiss/French boarder police/customs before walking up to the platforms 7/8 and don't forget to validate your tickets with one of the orange machines before getting on your train.
Jun 8th, 2003, 04:43 AM
jmw

Can you remind us of which station in Lyon gets us closer to the vieux ville? Thanks, J.

Jun 8th, 2003, 04:55 AM

Perrache is the train station on the Presqu'Ile. It's an easy walk over the Saone to the Old Town. Part Dieu is on the east side of Lyon and further from the Old Town.
Jun 8th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your tips. I got the impression from the SBB website that advance purchase was necessary, perhaps because the trip was on the TGV (high speed?) Are trips on regional trains much slower than TGV. I think the TGV does that route in a little under 2 hours; how about the other trains? If I do want to go TGV do I need advance purchase then?

So if I just fly into Geneva I'll be able to purchase tickets then and there for my travel needs to Lyon, same price? That would make more sense to me.

I'm actually staying closer to Part Diuox in Lyone, I think. My hotel is on Rue Victor Hugo near the Bellacur. Isn't the train station Part Dioux near there?

Also, is one day enough for Annecy?

Jun 8th, 2003, 05:50 AM
jmw

Thank you, Indy, and Bon Voyage, Chibcha.

Jun 8th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Chibcha,
You have it wrong. Rue Victor-Hugo is located between Perrache and Place Bellecourt so you have to get off at Perrache station that makes taking a TGV inconvenient bacause,as I said, the only TGV that runs Geneva-Lyon goes only to Part-Dieu and you will have to take another train to get to Perrache while some ordinary trains go till Perrache. I always take one of these ordinary trains because I stay usually near the old town/Presqu?file area and because I don?ft want to pay TGV supplement.

I recommend you to check time-table on SBB/CFF site as I see you already have access to it. For this route, TGV or ordinary train changes little time-wise. The latter takes a little more than 2 hours.
Jun 8th, 2003, 10:44 AM

Presqu?file > Presqu'ile
don?ft > don't

WORD font problem, I guess.

Would you hotel be Residence,rue Victor-Hugo?
Jun 8th, 2003, 12:59 PM

The departures from Geneva to Lyon that leave at 12:40 and 13:36 are TGV trains, which require a seat reservation, and about $9.00 more in second class.

Those are the only two TGV trains I saw for the whole day. The time required to make the trip as far as Lyon is no better with the TGVs than with the other trains.

Time wise the TGV is not worth the extra money. I am not sure it is worth it for seating comfort either.

Is there a chance on the regular trains that second class would be full?

The last time I rode 2nd class in a normal train in France was between Paris and Vernon. The return trip arrived at about 7 PM, but I found a seat even though the train was crowded.

Search this Thread