Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Swiss cards n scenic train reservations.
Notices

Swiss cards n scenic train reservations.

Jun 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Swiss cards n scenic train reservations.

Hi all

The husband and I are traveling to zurich for 3 days.

Day 1 zurich to Lucerne-engelberg on train. Visit mt titlis rotair. Return in train to zurich.
Day2 interlaken with friends ( no train)

By train
Day 3 zurich to chur. Chur to tirano on bernina express.tirano to lugano on bernina bus.

So which swiss card will work best. I was looking at prices and half fare card seems a little advantageous but not much.

Also how do I rave on bernina from US if I am planning to buy the half fare only after I arrive in zurich. Greatly appreciate the advice
Jun 5th, 2013, 03:09 PM

Half-Fare Card for just a few trains - check prices first at www.sbb.ch and double them and you break even with the half-fare card NOT including the imposing $135 or so the card costs to begin with - can't see anything but buying regular tickets as you go along for what you outlined. No Swiss Pass no Swiss Card unless you are doing some more Swiss travel after Lugano?

For lots of great stuff on Swiss trains, passes, cards, etc I always spotlight these IMO fantastic sites - www.swisstravelsytem.com - hooks you into various scenic train official sites where you can make a seat reservation, often without first buying a ticket or ass, etc. and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html and www.ricksteves.com - www.seat61.com and good detail on the Bernina Pass railway, to me Europe's very top scenic railway and I think I've ridden all the contenders!
Jun 5th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I did the math and half fare gives me just a little advantage...so just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Hearing back from an expert is always reassuring for first time traveller s. thank you again. I will check the sites on bernina...I wrote to rhaetian railway about reserving first and buying the ticket ( with or without half fare) later on. Excited to be on that train thank u again
Jun 6th, 2013, 07:33 AM

thanks for the thanks - I still cannot fathom how the Half-Fare Card, which costs $130-35 or so and then you still must pay half-fare on your trains can be viable - I guess the fares for the few trains you are taking are very very high? I'd love to see your math - just thinking this cannot be true!

Search this Thread