Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Swiss cancellation policies/translation requested

Swiss cancellation policies/translation requested

Mar 9th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,862
Swiss cancellation policies/translation requested

After many emails and phone calls, I finally received an answer to my request for a reservation from my hotel in the Engadine. They have availability but they also say that "50% of the total number of days will be charged for any cancellation." Is it possible that they will charge this amount at any point between now and our July stay?

Language has been a problem, and I have reason to believe we are just now hearing back from them due to limited access to someone who can handle my English emails. So while I'd like to simply ask them in English to clarify their policy, I fear it could start a whole new series of emails and phone calls in which we don't understand each other.

Could someone tell me how, in Italian or German, to ask "how long prior to the beginning date of my reservation will I forfeit 50% of the cost of my stay due to cancellation?" Or something to that effect.

Thanks for any advice/translation services!
Cimbrone is offline  
Mar 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 503
Hi! I've been using an online free translation service that seems to work pretty well -- you just paste in what you want to say in English and it translates into whatever language you want. The link is:
abbydog is offline  
Mar 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,862
Wow, abbeydog. That seems to have worked great. I sent the question and am hoping for the best. Thanks!
Cimbrone is offline  
Mar 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,596
Cimbrone, sorry to say that, but I think yes, you understood correctly. If you make a reservation now then a cancellation anytime will cost 50% of the total amount. This is common in small mountain towns/villages and small hotels anywhere in the Alps. And I guess we're talking about a small hotel in Soglio here, which is actually in the Bregaglia valley, not the Engadine.

Ingo is offline  
Mar 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,862
Yes, Ingo, the Palazzo Salis. Ouch! That's quite a penalty!

I think I've already annoyed them. I doubt they'll appreciate this latest question I've sent them.

I hate to make such a commitment so early. Who knows what could happen within five months?

And thanks for the correction. I frequently mistake the Bregaglia for the Engadine. I must work on that.
Cimbrone is offline  
Mar 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,214
Hi C,

>I hate to make such a commitment so early. Who knows what could happen within five months?

That is why people buy travel insurance.


ira is offline  
Mar 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,890

Well - you might not like to make a commitment - but you have put them in the position of making a commitment. A small hotel in an area like that can't overbook and "walk" people if too many turn up - as a large hotel in London or Paris can. So - if you're asking them to hold the room for you, it;s only fair you take part of the risk.
nytraveler is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jan 11th, 2008 10:22 AM
United States
Jan 11th, 2007 08:40 PM
Aug 3rd, 2006 04:11 AM
May 23rd, 2006 12:43 PM
Mar 27th, 2005 06:21 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:38 PM.