Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Swiss-Austrian itinerary revised + Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/swiss-austrian-itinerary-revised-prague-858849/)

ChicagoDallasGirl Sep 11th, 2010 12:30 AM

Swiss-Austrian itinerary revised + Prague

I've chatted with my husband and based on that conversation we're considering this revised itinerary:

Day One - Geneva (or somewhere nearer Neuchatel/Watch Valley) ?
Day Two - Geneva
Day Three - Geneva
Day Four - Scenic train to Prague ?
Day Five - Prague
Day Six - Praque
Day Seven - Vienna
Day Eight - Vienna
Day Nine- Vienna

Some questions I've got so far:

At this point, the Patek Phillipe Museum is the only must-do in Geneva. Considering that, where else might we base closer to "Watch Valley"? Has anyone visited WV? How does one get from one museum/watch factory to another? Is there a tour? Checked out the neuchatel tourism link (thanks again swandav2000), but still confused and would appreciate any lodging suggestions, please.

I've tried the bahn.de site, but a little fuzzy there, too.:( Basically we need train transport from our Swiss locale (either Geneva or Neuchatel area) to Prague and then to Vienna.

thanks in advance for your help. cdg

logos999 Sep 11th, 2010 12:38 AM

>train .. Geneva or Neuchatel area) to Prague
= 13 to 15 hours

PalenQ Sep 11th, 2010 04:33 AM

I've tried the bahn.de site, but a little fuzzy there, too. Basically we need train transport from our Swiss locale (either Geneva or Neuchatel area) to Prague and then to Vienna.>

don't give up on bahn.de - for help with it go to the home page www.budgeteuropetravel.com and look for the link "Best European Train Schedule" or some such wording and click on it to get to the English schedule page of the Wunderbar bahn.de site - i reference this homepage link because it gives you several important tips on how to fully use the bahn.de site that may not be apparent at first glance - maybe will not be so fuzy for you after reading them?

But yes Day 4 is either a marathon day on trains or maybe fly.

Otherwise the rest of the itinerary is just peach keen IMO

Ingo Sep 11th, 2010 05:09 AM

Consider either flying from Switzerland to Prague or the CityNightLine train (overnight, as the name indicates).

ChicagoDallasGirl Sep 11th, 2010 02:42 PM

@palenq - i'm giving it another go. thanks for the bet link. wealth of information there.

@ingo - thanks for the lead. :o)

PalenQ Sep 12th, 2010 06:05 AM

Or knock a day off Geneva and put in an intermediate stop like say in Salzburg, Austria, one of Europe's most gorgeous cities IMO and from which it is a much shorter 5 hour or so train ride to Prague

PalenQ Sep 13th, 2010 12:01 PM

from Salzburg hop hourly trains to Linz and change there for Prague rail links - takes about 6.5 hours or so however as these are not high-speed lines.