Swiss Alps - scenic train ride

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss Alps - scenic train ride

Hello,

I will be in Milan and Zurich in November and I'd like to take a train ride that will give me the best views of the Swiss Alps. This wil be my first time to the Alps.

I hear that Bernina Express is a very scenie ride, but I'm not sure how best to fit the route into my itinerary, e.g. can I go from Milan-St. Moritz-Chur-Zurich in one day?

I also saw a YouTube clip of someone taking a train ride to the Jungfrau and it looked quite nice. Should I go from Milan to Zurich via the Jungfrau instead?

If it makes sense, I can stay one night in the Alps.
Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 07:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You might want to look at the scenic routes to see which might interest you more and fit your itinerary.
http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/c...scenic-routes/
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:12 PM

Hi mami,

As nice as a scenic train ride is, the views and the experience is much better when you are outside, on top of a mountain, with a five-senses experience.

You don't have to be a hiker to do this! Instead of just moving through the Alps, go to a mountain and, yes, spend one night. Take a cable car or a cog railway up to the top, then spend some time just soaking up the views from a mountaintop restaurant. Then you can continue on your way!

You can do this from St. Moritz, from Brig (pretty close & convenient to Milan), from Luzern, or from the Jungfrau region (Thun or Interlaken).

In my experience, any train ride through the Alps is very scenic; it's just that a few of them have been specially marketed to tourists. You can take a look at all the train schedules at the Swiss rail site:

www.rail.ch

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kybourbon. Bernina Express on the list looks fantastic.

swandav2000, St. Moritz is on the Bernina path, so I'll look into staying there overnight. Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM

In November, scenary is not as nice as say in July.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 11:40 AM

One thing about the Jungfraujoch Railway, which is mainly in tunnels, is that it costs a mind-boggling amount - well well over $100 if not closer to $200 now - probably more than the whole Milan-Tirano-St Moritz-Chur-Zurich route would cost all told. Milan to Interlaken and Interlaken to Zurich would probably be another $100

And IMO you get a much better experience on the Bernina Railway, to me the very top scenic railway in all of Europe and I think I have ridden them all.

Check out these sites for lots of good info on Swiss trains and the Bernina Pass Railway - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.swisstravelsystem.com. Just buy your through ticket once in Tirano to Zurich - Tirona being the start point for the Swiss portion of the trip (even though Tirano is in Italy Swiss trains start from there.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Informations about Bernina railway
www.bernina-sud.info/En/bernina.htmlPeople from all over the world come to visit the famous swiss mountain trains like "Glacier Express" or "Bernina Express" of the "Rhaetische Bahn (RhB)" railway .