Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Swine flu could become major epidemic in UK. Should we cancel trip?

Notices

Old Jun 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read news article online in Independent UK newspaper that swine flu could touch 50% of the population and they have no way of stopping the spreading.

I have a trip planned to London in the end of September to help a family member move into LSE for a year studying. We will be staying in a hotel, eating in restaurants and touring around - all public places. Our student will be moving into the dorm and although has single room, will have to share bathroom with other students.

Would you all recommend changing plans if it gets worse over the summer?

Maybe there will be a vaccination out before we leave that we can get??

thanks.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 07:14 AM

It is a pandenmic - you have as much, if not more chance of catching it in your home country.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM

Swine Flu worldwide has been mild, with gentle symptoms... the regular influenza kills far more people - look up the stats, just for this year to date alone. Don't cancel your trip. Don't live in fear...
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM

I thought it was illegal for American's to use the term Swine flu as the investors in pigs want to deflect fear.

Still, September/Oct is the worst time in the Northern Hemisphere to get this illness. I'd go to Oz
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM

Don't panic. It's just this year's type of flu, that's all, and it's actually turning out to be less harmful than many other types of flu. Flu knows no boundaries these days...once it starts it pretty soon spreads around the whole world.

what on earth does 'flu could touch 50%' mean anyway? touch? 50% of us might know someone who catches it? big deal...
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM

As of yesterday the UK has 2506 confirmed cases of H1N1 "swine flu" (HPA.org.uk)
As of Friday 19th the USA has an estimated 215450 (CDC.gov)
If you live in any sort of large town, you have a good a chance of contracting the illness. You may be more at risk while travelling, particularly by air.

If you cruise you are also likely to be exposed (One of the big cruise operators wanted to know if our lab could process aprox 1000 samples over the weekend - about 10x our flat out capacity per day - I'd rather they raised a yellow flag and sat out in the Solent for a couple of weeks)
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM

Where are you coming from? If the US, the fact that very few Americans have died of it (and almost all had underlying medical conditions) suggests that for whatever reasons, Americans aren't as susceptible to the more severe course of the illness. I don't buy that it's a different strain, as Mexico is so close and there is so much cross-border traffic.

And likewise agree that you have as much chance of catching it at home as anywhere else.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM

You should most definitely cancel your trip.

You're coming from the USA, where the average person is twice as likely to be a carrier of H1N1 than the average Briton.

So you're clearly a danger to us. You obviously know something about the danger of this trivial ailment that's being kept secret from us. It would clearly be totally irresponsible to bring what you've found out to be a serious disease to Britain.

So please stay away.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:10 AM

A workmate of mine has had the dreaded lurgi. Caught it in New York. He was ill in the check-in at JFK. As he was returning, and not arriving, they let him get on the plane. When he was back in London he called his GP. They sent a man in a spacesuit to take swabs (twitching curtains, neighbours still won't talk to him). Left him tamiflu and told him not to leave the house for two weeks. He said it was like a bad cold.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM

You definitely should not go to the UK.

You also shouldn't leave your house or come in contact with any other people until the pandemic has worn itself out - since it's perfectly possible for it to turn up anywhere.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM

Hello JamilaZ

It is very thoughtful that you raise this important and sensitive issue at this time. We Europeans understand American worries on this front, and well can I understand why you are considering leaving your homeland.

The rate of H1NI infection in North America is 700 times higher than that in Europe. Not twice as high, not ten times as high, but 700 times higher. In the interests of protecting yourself, you may think of resettling in Iraq or Libya, which are both utterly free of swine-flu. But we here in Europe are warm hearted and generous folk, and if you really wish to spread a few germs, we'll still give you a warm welcome. Swapping germs can be a nicely fraternal expression of inter-continental solidarity.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM

Best laugh thread all week!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM

It has been reported that H1N1 will infect approximately 50% of citizens in my city{middle of Canada}- Celine Dion and mosquitoes will have more of a negative impact on most of us!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM

Buy travel insurance that includes a force majeure or act of God provision that will cover any cancellations you have to make if the worst case scenario unfolds.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM

No! I was just there, no problem. Don't worry and have a great time.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:21 PM

There's always an upside to these events Jamilaz, without evem being one of the 50% untouched but bloody hell if I was a lad I'd reckon an english rose swinigletty might get me all touchy feely - http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nt=Swinery.jpg and then to avert the contagiousness of it all, invest in the latest head gear - http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ent=winter.jpg and for general wintery protection, just do some mixing and matching with Bruno's outfits at Harrods - http://news.ninemsn.com.au/slideshow...ame=brunocohen
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM

The original post just reinforces my belief that some people really should not be allowed passports!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM

I think there have been something like 10 cases in my European country. Last weekend there were 3 more. They all had been in the US for a holiday. Some paper wrote that it might not be the best idea to plan a holiday in the US or Mexico.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:30 AM

I think we are being a little unfair to the op who was only reacting to a scaremongering story in a UK newspaper. The problem is than nobody knows how to stop the disease spreading despite all the efforts.

That this is a seemingly mild form of the disease makes me think that WHO and nations are using this as a trial to see how plans would work in the case of a nasty like mutated Avian Flu.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:35 AM

Swine 'flu? Been there seen it done it (don't yet have the t-shirt).

I was briefly on the "watch" list as I was exposed because I went To Alleynes school in Dulwich to give them a little talk about ASBOs and stuff.

They had an "outbreak" there and I was a contact with the boys who had the bug.

The quack who kept making holes in me said that swine 'flu was about the poofiest kind of 'flu. Naturally my manly system rejected poofy 'flu.

I didn't even get a day off.

CW - will never go to anymore minor public schools.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information