Swimming in Cinque Terre in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I are planning some time in the CT May 18-21. Will the water be warm enough for swimming? I've only swum in the Mediterranean in June, which was beautiful, but May seems iffy weather/temperature-wise.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:20 PM

I was in the CT late last June (2004) and there were some days where the waves were exceedingly high, it was very windy, and it was pretty cold.

In August 2002, it was hot and sunny every day.

We'll be there late May this year (22-24), so who knows? I'm assuming I might do more laying on the beach than actual swimming.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, TexasAggie. So maybe we should come with suits (at least for some possible sunning?), but plan on alternative activities too? Since you've been to the CT just last year and are planning a trip this year too, where do you recommend staying? Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Hi Sam,

We like staying in Monterosso in the Hotel Villa Steno. We stayed there on our honeymoon last June and I wrote a report on both www.tripadvisor.com and this forum. We are staying there again this May. We got a nice sized double room with private bath and sea view balcony for 125€ cash (buffet breakfast included and served in breakfast room or on terrace overlooking sea). The hotel is in the middle of a lemon grove with flowers, so the scent when you left the doors to your balcony open was wonderful.

Monterosso is the largest of the 5 towns, but the Villa Steno is in the old part of the town and it is very charming. It is up on a hill and our room had a terrace overlooking the sea and the hills. Absolutely beautiful!

Monterosso has the best and largest beach, though only part of it is a free beach and you have to pay a small sum to rent chairs on the other parts. Vernazza has a tiny black sand beach right in front of the square - free. Corniglia is up on a hill, though there is a nude pebble beach about a 10 minute walk from the Corniglia train station called Guavano Beach. It costs 10€ per person and in my opinion, it is a pretty gross beach - it smells and there is tons of seaweed and algea everywhere. Manarola has rocks that you can jump into the sea off of, but no real beach. Riomaggiore has a small but decent beach.

Back in 2002, I stayed in Albergo Barbara right on the piazza in Vernazza (probably the next most visited town after Monterosso, if not the #1 most visited by tourists). It was a basic hotel, but clean. The room overlooked the square, promenade, and sea. There was no A/C which was a slight issue in mid-August. I believe we paid about 65€ for a double room with the bathroom down the hall and no breakfast. Vernazza is very picturesque.

Rick Steves has a VERY informative section in the Cinque Terre in his Italy guidebook. There is also a ton of information on the various towns on this forum (matching a traveller's interests to the best town to suit them). Just type "Cinque Terre" into the search box.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM

We were in CT in May last year at just about the same time you plan to be there. Took swimsuits but never put them on. Waded out to knee deep but that was about it---too cold. However, there were quite a few brave swimmers in the water at Monterosso. Scandanavians don't seem to mind the cold water--guess they are used to it.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, nini for your input. And thanks very much TexasAggie for your great hotel suggestions. It's interesting because I had clicked off the Hotel Villa Steno website right before I checked this post to see your other reply! It looks great. I've thoroughly scoured Rick's Italy book for info there, lots of good stuff. My question now, veering off the original swimming question, is would staying in Monterosso really be the suggested option if swimming/beaching isn't going to be our best option in May? In other words, is Monterosso the best overall town? I've been heavily leaning towards Vernazza (before the Hotel Villa Steno temptation). Which town is the best to just "be" in, spending time enjoying walking around the town, getting good food, pretty views (a big reason why we're drawn to the CT) and maybe even some shopping (the latter not being the highest priority), we also plan to hike/train/boat to see the other 4 during our time there. I've heard Monterosso is the most touristy which has its respective advantages and disadvantages. Thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Hmmmm...
Well I do think Vernazza is the most beautiful, but there isn't much in the way of shopping (or at least not comparable to Monterosso). I also very much like the Old Town of Monterosso - it has a lot of the same charm. We hardly ever ventured into the "New Town" in Monterosso.

In Monterosso (old town) we found many cute shops selling wines and limoncellos, olive oils and basil spreads and other culinary goodies, stores with tiles and ceramics, artwork... we also came across a couple cheapy tourist shops selling beach towels and post cards and the like. There is a larger selection of restaurants and some of them are just fabulous. We found one restaurant in the Old Town right near the beach that we went to twice - it was that good. I'll look up the name of it and post back. There is a great gelateria on the beach, and we found a pizza shop (also near the small beach in the old town) that sold delicious pizza for about 4-6€ per whole pizza (take-out).

In Vernazza, there are a couple of art shops and cheap tourist shops, but not as many wine/food shops that I remember. There are two good gelaterias in Vernazza and a good bakery for bread and sandwiches and fruit. The restaurants lining the square have views to die for but the food is only mediocre and overpriced.

This is just what I would do, but I would stay in Monterosso at Hotel Villa Steno if you can still get a room (they book up FAST). Looks like you will be in the area about 3 days, right? Spend at least one whole day exploring the old town Monterosso and hanging out on the beach. Eat in one of the great restaurants in the old town close to the old town beach (by the way - the new town beach is nicer - that is the only time we went to the new town). Spend another day going to the other 4 towns via train (or hiking if you wish) and spending a couple of hours in each. Eat dinner in Vernazza that night by the promenade or at the Castle (better food - make reservations). Then on your 3rd day you can either return to a town you really liked the day before, or hang out in your base town of Monterosso since it is large enough to offer plenty to do plus the good beach.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM

P.S.
Alternatively, you could base out of Vernazza... spend your first day there just soaking in the views, then do your shopping and beach sunning in the old town of Monterosso the second day (eat dinner there if possible), then spend your last day visiting the other 3 towns (2-3 hours in each).
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM

P.P.S. I promise I am almost done!

Get the 3 day Cinque Terre card that lets you on any of the trains and gives you access to all the hiking trails as well... I believe it is 13€ per person, and a lot of the money goes to preserve the area.

Even if you are not a hiker, don't miss the 15 minute stroll (level) from Riomaggiore to Manarola. Outrageous views of the Med and other towns. The CT card will cover the fee to do the trail.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

TexasAggie, how can I thank you enough! Your suggestions are invaluable. After your remarks I think I’m really tempted to base in Monterosso, though if the Villa Steno is booked that might change things. I shall check ASAP. I think home-basing out of Monterosso and tripping out the others, primarily Vernazza, might work really well---we could spend all of one day in Vernazza if we love it that much. I think if there isn’t a similarly great accommodation option in Vernazza as the Villa Steno in Monterosso, I can’t see passing it up if they’ve got a vacancy. Mmmm, lots to think about. We’ll have 3 full days there, maybe a 4th (but that would be spent day-tripping to Pisa). Is 3 days too many for the CT? We could just as well allocate that to something else, but I liked the idea of relaxing and taking things slow in the CT, though without the beach and swimming maybe 3 days isn’t necessary? We love hiking and plan to take advantage of the CT card too. Any other thoughts are truly appreciated---I’d love restaurant and gelato place names. Thanks so much for your help in planning this leg of the trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

One thing I just thought of. Is the Hotel Villa Steno handy to the train station, or is a hassle getting to and from each time? For that matter how close it it to the trail? If it's not handy to the station, I'm not sure that making it our home-base would be such a good idea after all. I don't want it to be a major chore every time we want to explore the rest of the CT. Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Hi sam,
In my opinion, 3 days is just about perfect for the CT region. It allows you to see all the towns at a relaxed pace (they are all different and have unique aspects), as well as time to just sit in a cafe or lay on the beach and relax or shop. It also allows you time to take the boat ride down the coast past all the towns for a half day, or hike all the towns in a half day - or do both if you are quite adventurous!

If you are a wine afficionado, definitely try to spend a couple hours in Corniglia. I think this village has the best wine.

Hotel Villa Steno is about a 10-12 minute walk from the train station, but it is an uphill walk. We are in our twenties and pretty physically fit so maybe add a couple minutes if you tend to take things a bit slower

We took a taxi from the station to the hotel for 7€ since we had luggage and weren't exactly sure where the hotel was (we negotiated the price before getting in the taxi).

After that one taxi ride, we just walked back and forth to the station. It's a pretty walk down through the old town and by the beach and we didn't see ourselves as far away from the train station at all.

Just to help you get an idea... the train station is just barely into the new part of the town. The free portion of the beach is directly in front of the train station (with the pay beaches going both right and left from the free beach). Once you walk straight out of the train station and see the free beach and sea in front of you, turn LEFT to get to the old part of the town (the most charming). You walk a little ways to the left (the beach and cool rock formation will be on your right) and then you walk through a super short pedestrian tunnel (though an occasional car will go through it) and you are in the Old Town. You go up the main street about 7-8 minutes (neat shops lining the street) and Hotel Villa Steno is up on your left.

I will try to post a few pictures of the hotel on this thread so you can see the view from our room
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:37 AM

P.S. The trail actually starts from the old town portion of Monterosso and goes to Vernazza, then Corniglia, then Manarola, and last to Riomaggiore.

So you are actually pretty close to it by staying in the Old Town.

Also... all the towns are SMALL, even Monterosso (esp. the Old Town portion). As long as you get a hotel in one of the cities you won't be too far from the station or trail, merely b/c the towns just aren't that large or spread out
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=1331...=SYE/otsi=SALB

This should take you to a few pictures I happened to have saved at work from our trip to the CT last June. There are a few pics of our balcony at Hotel Villa Steno and the views from our room. I've got a ton more at home so I will try to get to uploading them this weekend... I've been needing to do that anyway!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

TexasAggie, what a great resource you’ve been. Thank you so much. Thanks for letting me peek at your pictures. They were great and definitely got me excited about our trip---I’ll check back for more once you’ve posted the rest.

My friend and I turn 30 this year (both of us moms excited about getting away to celebrate our 30th birthdays together!). We’re both in good shape (I hike and run a lot at home) and we’re up for all the hikes and stairs, etc. of this region. From what you describe the jaunt from the station to Villa Steno sounds rather minimal, but I like the idea of taking a cab up to the hotel upon arrival. Good tip if we stay there.

Thanks for the info on how things are laid out in Monterosso, that is very helpful. Last night I watched Rick’s video on the Cinque Terre on the Italy DVD I have. It got me so excited. I’m feeling split over Monterosso V. Vernazza still. Vernazza seems to win on the charm factor, but Monterosso seems to win when it comes to services. Maybe finding a good room at this relatively late date will make up our mind for us!

We don’t drink so no wine for us, but I’d love any restaurant tips. Thank you so very much!