Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sweet 16 Iceland Trip -- suggestions please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sweet-16-iceland-trip-suggestions-please-1020013/)

chickenlittle Jul 14th, 2014 12:36 PM

Sweet 16 Iceland Trip -- suggestions please

My daughter has requested a trip to Iceland with a couple of her friends in lieu of a big sweet 16 party. I have been looking at websites and options but seem overwhelmed by things available and time / distance limitations. What could we do that would be fun and adventurous for a 6 day 5 night trip in June?

PalenQ Jul 14th, 2014 01:25 PM

Anything but staying in Reykyavik the whole time - Boring! Try to hook up with some tour would be my recommendation for folks that age - and Iceland is one of the very most expensive countries I've ever been to.

sassy_cat Jul 14th, 2014 01:37 PM

Parents going too, I presume?
Rent a car and stay in Reykyavik. We stayed in a lovely apartment that slept 6 (3 bedrooms).

If you prefer not to drive there are bus tours from Reykjavik that you can take but it's an easy place to drive.

Visit the Blue Lagoon, go horse back riding, Golden Circle tour, visit a natural thermal pool, tour the city. Plenty to do!

Check tripadvisor forum too. There are locals posting there that can help with details.

PalenQ Jul 14th, 2014 01:44 PM

I did not know parents were going too - and having a car - yes then Reykyavik could be fine.

colduphere Jul 14th, 2014 01:50 PM

Attempt number 5 - they should do what we did. Hike to the Fimmvorouhals. Click on my name for the details. Our 15 year old wants to go again. Fabulous adventure.

I will keep recommending this until someone does it. And they should stay at the KEX hostel.

sandralist Jul 14th, 2014 02:13 PM

chickenlittle

If you click on your own screen name you can see all the threads you have started on this topic and all the answers you have already received in various threads.

chickenlittle Jul 15th, 2014 10:13 AM

Thank you so much! Yes -- I am going with another Mom to chaperone. I am crazy but not CRAZY enough to send off three 16 year old girls to Iceland w/o supervision! :)

I was having computer problem. So sorry this posted more than once.

Sassycat -- can you let me know more about the apartment you stayed in?

Thanks again.

sassy_cat Jul 15th, 2014 10:29 AM

chickenlittle, I've emailed the owner for a link to the apartment as I couldn't find the details.
Our stay was 5 years ago... time flies!

Meanwhile check VRBO or Tripadvisor for apartment listings. We found it cheaper than staying in hotels for 6 people (cheaper than hostels too) and had access to a kitchen with dishwasher and a washing machine.

mikeyred242 Jul 21st, 2014 03:21 AM

Booking a car and getting out of Reykjavik is a must, Reykajvik is a great palce but it is rather small and a day spent there is more than enough.

Depending on what you or the 16 year olds like to do or what your budget is there are loads of possibilities - white water rafting, glacier hiking, volcano exploring, whale watching

If you are going to hire a car make sure you choose the right vehicle, most places are easily accessible with a 2WD but a lot of the popular hiking areas (eg Landmannalaugar) are only accessible with a 4WD. Be warned..renting a car is not cheap, we found the best deals with carsiceland

www.carsiceland.com

chickenlittle Jul 28th, 2014 02:00 PM

Thank you so much! The advice you have all given on this thread is invaluable. Things are really coming together and we are very excited.