Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sweden, Norway and Finland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sweden-norway-and-finland-944244/)

CatherineC Jul 25th, 2012 07:39 AM

Sweden, Norway and Finland

We (4 people - 3 adults and a youth) are planning on travelling from Stockholm to Oslo (including doing the Norway in a Nutshell) and then to Helsinki in August. We have already purchased the cruise from Helsinki to Stockholm via Silja Line. The trip itinerary is tentatively:
8/20 - arrive in Stockholm in the morning
8/21 - take the train to Oslo
8/22 - spend a day in Oslo
8/23 - do Norway in a nutshell (round -trip from Oslo to Bergen taking the night train back to Oslo
8/24 - leave for Helsinki
I am not familiar with rail passes and am wondering if buying a Sweden-Norway 4 day rail pass be more economical than buying a point to point rail pass from Stockholm to Oslo plus a NIN pass? I am also wondering if it is better to fly to Helsinki from Oslo or to buy the three country rail pass. Would appreciate some advice.

Michael Jul 25th, 2012 09:16 AM

<i>I am also wondering if it is better to fly to Helsinki from Oslo or to buy the three country rail pass.</i>

You still have to cross water to get from Oslo to Helsinki, so the rail pass will not be of any help unless there is a train ferry (which I doubt).

<i>I am not familiar with rail passes and am wondering if buying a Sweden-Norway 4 day rail pass be more economical than buying a point to point rail pass from Stockholm to Oslo plus a NIN pass?</i>

Plug in your rail costs for point-by-point tickets and compare them with the overall price of passes.

MimiCOI Jul 26th, 2012 01:22 PM

If you will take the plane from Stockholm to Oslo, it coat around NOK 900 and just an hour so you have more time to explore Oslo. When you are in Stockholm its is easy to take a train to go to Finland since Sweden is more open than Norway. You can check the fares at skyscanner.net for airfares and NSB for the train for Oslo to Helsinki.

God tur her in Norge (:

Irishwhistler90 Jul 26th, 2012 01:52 PM

Hang on, I'm a little confused...are you flying into Helsinki first? If so, wouldn't it be easier to just depart from Oslo at the end of your trip, not backtrack to Helsinki? If you've already booked return flights to Helsinki, I would just check and see if you could change them to "Arrive Helsinki - Return from Oslo". Also, it seems like you only really want to see Norway....if that is the case, why fly return from Helsinki? I could be completely wrong here but from what you've said it seems like you are going:

Helsinki - Stockholm (on the ferry)
Stockholm to Oslo (only a day in Stockholm? It's worth more...)
One whole day in Oslo....
Oslo -Bergen - Oslo
Oslo - Helsinki

I'm not quite seeing the big picture here... What are you wanting to see on this trip? If its mainly Norway, you would be better to focus a good three or four days there, if it's mainly Helsinki, why not start in Oslo, then make your way over to Helsinki... It just seems like you are skipping all over the place without stopping to see anything? Please explain?

nytraveler Jul 26th, 2012 05:08 PM

I'm confused - how long is this trip. All I see is you bouncing around from one place to another with no time to see anything. If you only have a week or so i would stay in one city and do a couple of daytrips - instead of spending the bulk of your time in transit,

Percy Jul 26th, 2012 06:30 PM

I really cannot figure out this intinerary!!?

Your zipping around back and forth with no time to see anything it seems.

Go either in one direction or the other

Like Olso, then Stockholm, then Helsinki, or vice versa.

You are trying to cover too much in too little time.

Stockholm takes at least two nice full days.

Then you want to zip around Oslo for a day and then take off to Bergen...so you can also zip around in Bergen and then take the night train back to Olso !!!!!

There is lots to see in these places , slow down and relax and enjoy the places, there is too much travel involved .

CatherineC Jul 27th, 2012 08:33 PM

Thank you to who responded. Maybe I am too ambitious and trying to cover too many places in a week. Thanks for your responses and advise.

CatherineC Jul 27th, 2012 08:34 PM

Thank you to all who responded to my question!!