Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Sweden and Finland for 6 days in mid December 2015
Notices

Sweden and Finland for 6 days in mid December 2015

Nov 25th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Sweden and Finland for 6 days in mid December 2015

I am an asian girl and planning to have solo trip(Is it safe?) to these 2 countries from 14th to 19th December.

1)How long should I spend in each country? Any safety issues I need to take note of?
2) What activities must do or places that must visit in sweden and finland?
3)I heard it's dark for the whole day in December and nothing much to explore, is it true?
Nov 25th, 2015, 07:21 PM
kja

No one can guarantee safety, but assuming you take normal safety precautions (e.g., don't get drunk and walk around; don't leave your belongings unattended), you should be fine.

How long to spend in any one place depends on what YOU want to see and experience -- and ONLY you can decide that (not any of us). I recommend that you get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.). Only then can you decide what will work for you.

FWIW, I would find it extremely difficult to visit both Finland and Sweden in the time you have. For my tastes, that would be just barely enough for JUST Stockholm, with a day trip of two. You could probably smash Helsinki in if you are willing to simply skim each of these magnificent cities. Your call.

For hours of daylight, check:
http://www.timeanddate.com

Once you've done some research, come back with more specific questions.
Nov 26th, 2015, 01:46 AM

Could you go a day or so earlier? St Lucia is celebrated in Sweden on the 13th December, it's one of the biggest Christmas celebrations. You can buy tickets to see the ceremony in a church.

It's not dark for the whole day, you will get daylight from about 8am to 3pm, maybe slightly shorter by mid-end Dec. Some days are cloudy and dull which make it seem like it is dark all day, others are bright and sunny but very cold. The cities will be lit up with Christmas lights and looking very festive. In Sweden, I would recommend trying the Christmas Buffet which is served at this time of the year. It is very traditional, it is served in some restaurants, hotels & lunch/dinner cruises (around the archipelago which is a must see IMO), normally you need to reserve a place. The below link gives you some ideas about where to sample the Julbord and is the official tourist board website, so you can get lots of info on what to see/do in Stockholm, eg Skansen Christmas markets, Vasa Museum etc.

http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/Eat...hristmas-food/

You can take the ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki which would be beautiful in the winter with the small islands covered in snow.

Here is a link to the official Helsinki tourist info.

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/whats...-city-helsinki

I don't agree that there is nothing much to explore, 6 days is no time at all to see Stockholm & Helsinki.
Nov 26th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Hey aly-chan,

Scandinavia is probably the safest region in Europe so traveling alone shouldn't be an issue. But make sure that you remain cautious and aware of your surroundings, nothing beats that!

Finland is known and loved for a lot of winter activities. The Lapland Safari is the best place to be and you'll probably need more than 6 days to really do everything. You can visit the famous Santa Claus Village (rumors has it that he lives there) then try riding a snowmobile to explore Rovaniemi, this will save you lots of time and also give you a memorable experience. And for some adrenaline rush, take a husky or reindeer ride!

Stockholm is the Swedish capital and there's also a lot of beautiful sights to see, wonderful things to do. It'll be winter wonderland by the time you get there so it will be twice as fun! The Royal Palace, the Abba Museum and the Vasa Museum are my top 3. If you have time, visit Skokloster Castle or try a boat trip that gives you a nice tour around.

Daytime in the north is definitely shorter than in other parts of the world, but you'll still have enough time to go around. The advantage of an early sunset is the chance to see the immaculate Northern Lights! But don't expect too much, it's so elusive that no one can really tell when it will show up

Search this Thread