Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sweaters and other tourist items - Dublin or Edinburgh?

Dec 6th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Kathleen

I'll be traveling through Ireland for a week and then will be in Edinburgh for another 4 days. Is Dublin or Edinburgh best for purchasing a nice wool sweater, china, etc. Thanks for any advice!

Dec 6th, 2000, 09:54 PM
Joanna

Lots of great sweaters in Edinburgh - try the woollen mill shops. Not only nice local jumpers but some gorgeous Icelandic ones as well. Dublin is better for linen and china, such as Dunoon and Belleek.

Dec 7th, 2000, 12:45 AM
frank

If you are travelling in the countryside, look for wayside craft shops.They often have locally hand knitted items cheaper & higher quality than in the shops.

Dec 7th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Tony Hughes

Check labels for evidence of manufacture in the orient.

Some of the Edinburgh shops seem quite forgetful about the origin of their woolen products. Just some, though.

Dec 7th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi,

One thing to keep in mind - exchange rate. I have bought beautiful handknit sweaters in both countries - and paid significantly more in USD in Scotland due to the British pound exchange rate versus the Irish pound.

In May of this year the Irish pound was about 1.2, I think it may be just about neck & neck with the dollar at this point.

I bought my sweaters in Scotland in 1996, I do not remember the exact price but it seems to me that I paid well over 100 bucks each there (I think the one, the more traditional looking one - creme colored fisherman knir - was something like 125-130 USD or more... the less traditional one - grey, cabled but shorter - showing more of your waist a la what teens might wear - was about 100 USD).

go forward to Ireland. I bought two this year, one in Clifden, one on the Aran Islands - and only paid about 70 each.

of course, it might also have to do with the fact that Edinburgh during international festival time (August) might just be more expensive than the far reaches of County Galway in May. not to mention that the pound was doing much better in 1996 than now (last I checked - I was in London in September and it was about 1.45 or so, versus 1.7 or MORE in 1996)

In May I also went to Kylemore Abbey in Ireland - the nuns make beautiful pottery. just gorgeous. then you have WATERFORD down south for nice crystal...

ok I've talked myself into it. can I go with you?

;-)

Beth

Dec 7th, 2000, 09:56 PM
Sam

Is the merchandise at the Waterford Crystal Factory a bargain? Or do tourists end up getting suckered into buying goblets at inflated prices?

Dec 8th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Tom

I don't know, it seems as though the Waterford Tour might just be a way to lure unexpecting travelers to pay inflated prices for a bunch of crystal that they would have never even needed. Like you, I wonder if there's any deals to be had. I'll be there soon with my wife and I am guessing that we'll be buying $100 wine glasses even though we rarely drink. So has anyone actually shopped there that knows what the prices are and if they are a bargain?

Dec 8th, 2000, 07:17 AM
AC

Hi:
Just a point of information about Belleek and Waterford. They are the same price no matter where you buy it. ie, You do not have to go to the Waterford factory to purchase crystal or Bellek factory to purchase china.
It may appear overpriced to some people but when you observe the craftsmenship then you understand the prices.
Kathleen:
I purchased some lovely sweaters on Nassau Street in Dublin. I cannot remember which shop right now, there are quite a few right across the street from Trinity College. The prices were fairly reasonable and there was a large selection. I was not as pleased with the selections on Grafton Street.
Enjoy your trip!

Dec 8th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Cathy

Kathleen and everyone,
There is no need to go to buy Waterford Crystal as there is a lot of other Crystal from other towns and places in ireland including Cavan Crystal, Newgrange, Galway, Dingle, Tipperary etc. Tipperary was established by ex-Waterford crafts people. Waterford is the most expensive of all (and beautiful) but the others are just as presentable at cheaper prices eg 6 wines glass 39 Ir punts. Try and arrange to purchase in jan or so as that is when the department stores have their sales. The shops around Trinity are major tourist shopping places and are more expensive than other places - one of the good places to look out is the Sweater Shop on Wicklow St. they tend to have lots of bargains and some unusual designs. Good places to buys fleeces etc include Dunnes Stores or Pennys - both are chain stores in Ireland and I purchase a lot of my clothes there - good value and quality.

Hope this helps,

Cathy

Dec 8th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Fran

At the Belleek factory, you can buy items that are unique to that one shop.

Waterford costs about the same in the U.S. as it does in Ireland.

Dec 10th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Randy

ttt