Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Swaying on the Rhythm of the Danube – My 7 Days in Austria

Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

My holiday paths of last year took me on a winding itinerary, which included 2 long stopovers in Istanbul (about 7 hours each time), 5 days in Romania and one week in Austria.

The trip report for the 5 days in Romania will be posted very soon on another thread.

The cities visited during my holiday in Austria were Budapest (briefly, as a stopover) – Graz – Vienna – Salzburg.

At the time of this trip I didn’t have a digital camera, so I scanned some photos and posted them here for sharing. It’s my first time doing this. Being scanned, their quality may not be too high, but you can see what they represent.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...1AaNGzly4ZsXIw

Only from this year I’ve had a digital camera, so in a few days, when I’ll post my report for 2006, I’ll have some (hopefully) good quality photos to share.

To be continued...
Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Day 1 – Budapest

We were in Romania when we left on this trip, and we took a night train to Budapest.
We met my brother there and then visited the Budapest Museum of Fine Arts, hosted in a beautiful building.

We could admire an impressive collection of sculptures and paintings and were amazed at the richness of works that we found in this museum: collections of Egyptian and Classical Antiquities, sculptures, Old Masters, Modern Art...

At the time of our visit, there was a big exhibition of Albrecht Durer’s works, so we took advantage and saw it. There was a brilliant array of paintings, woodcuts and engravings, unrivaled for detail and precision.

We were amazed by his intricate figure drawings, incredibly detailed.
We enjoyed this visit very much. The Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest is one of the best that we have visited in Europe.

Unfortunately we couldn't spend more time in Budapest, so we continued our journey by car. In the evening we reached my brother’s home in Graz, our our base for the following 6 days.

It was a quiet and beautiful evening and from the kitchen window, I saw a spectacular sunset over the Alps. The sky was clouded and of an astonishing dark red colour.

I pulled out my camera, bent slightly over the window and shot a wonderful picture.

To be continued...
Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Day 2

Next day we went out to explore the city, which is one of Europe’s best-preserved, and designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1999.

We started in Jakomini Platz, then walked on narrow lanes and picturesque courtyards with Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque architecture.

Strolling through Herrengasse, we passed by a house with painted frescos on the façade showing gods of Greco-Roman mythology.

We were now in the market square, Hauptplatz. We admired the architecture of a staggered row of houses on one side of the square, interrupted by narrow alleys, reminiscent of the Middle Ages.

The beautiful town hall, however, dominates the Hauptplatz. We took up on Sporgasse, a street just like a picture book of art history.

From Gothic window frames, Renaissance and Baroque buildings to historicist and art nouveau façades – all styles are represented.

Sporgasse is exemplary for the historic centre of Graz as a whole, whose elements in different architectural styles form a harmonious ensemble.

This is one of the most romantic lanes of the old town centre and it was as if we had a walk through centuries. We turned on Hofgasse and the splendid, elaborate, carved portal of Hofbäckerei (the court bakery) Edegger-Tax drew our attention, a princely appearance.

From here we climbed up the hill in the centre of the city. It was an abrupt walk through a small forest up to the Schlossberg, the fortress standing on the top.

We had splendid views over the city, red roofs in the middle of which the town hall stood out with its white colour and beautiful architecture.

We reached the Clock Tower, standing high on the hill overlooking the city. This tower has been here since the middle of the 16th century, when the fortress was reconstructed, and now is the symbol of Graz.

We enjoyed the grand view of the city and beyond, with the river Mur meandering through it.

When we reached the top of the hill, we stopped for a refreshing beer on the Schlossberg terrace. We continued our walk and started to descend the hill on the other side, on some stairs going down in zigzag right into the Schlossberg Square and the oldest street of Graz, Sackstrasse.

Seen from above, this street appears like an ensemble of long red-tiled roofs, with the medieval character still present in its narrow houses with oriels facing the street, behind them long inner courtyards, with Renaissance galleries and window framings.

We crossed one of the bridges over the river Mur, took on various side streets with interesting buildings, while all the time turning our heads toward the Schlossberg and the Clock Tower.

To be continued...
Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Day 3

In the morning we went to visit the Landesmuseum Joanneum. The collection in the Old Gallery contains, among others, European painting and sculpture from the Romanesque period to the end of the Baroque period (Lucas Cranach the Elder, Jan Brueghel the Elder, etc.) and from the Austrian Late Baroque.

During the same time when we were in Graz there was a special exhibition held at the museum, called “Seeing Carmen”.

We saw beautiful paintings by well-known artists (Picasso, Goya, Courbet, Manet, etc.), all representing an attempt to a historical approach to the fictional female character of Carmen from different points of view.

From the museum we wandered aimlessly around the streets of Graz. We found some nice hidden cafes on those side streets among the old beautiful buildings, and stopped at one of them.

It was a sunny day and people were out walking. We sat there and watched. After some more aimless walking, trying to keep on the shady side of the streets, we bought ourselves some ice creams.

We were around the central area of the city, not far from the Central Square. I don’t think we missed any of the side narrow streets that come out of the main pedestrian fare in the centre of the city.

We liked Graz, this city was a pleasant surprise for us.

To be continued...
Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Day 4 – Vienna

We woke up very early and took the train to Vienna. We got off at the South Station and walked for about 10-15 minutes until we reached the Belvedere Palace.

From across the street we could see huge Austrian flags covering one of the façades of the palace.

There was an exhibition called “The New Austria”, to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the State Treaty in 1955, which took place exactly here, at the Belvedere Palace.

The signing of the State Treaty meant that Austria regained its independence. The exhibition showed the development of the country starting with the fall of the Austria-Hungary until the Cold War and the Threat of the Iron Curtain, concentrating more on the years of Allied occupation from 1945 to 1955 and the signing of the Austrian State Treaty.

Belvedere is one of Europe’s most beautiful baroque palaces.
It consists of two magnificent buildings, the Upper and the Lower Belvedere, lying in the middle of a splendid park.

The palace hosts several collections of paintings and sculptures from the Middle Ages to the present day, and we took the time to visit them all. It was an enchanting experience.

We started at the exhibition about the New Austria, then we continued with the Austrian Gallery, in the Upper Belvedere.

Here we saw collections from the 19th and 20th centuries, with works by Biedermeier artists, French Impressionists (Monet, Renoir), Egon Schiele, Oskar Kokoschka and masterpieces by Gustav Klimt – his well-known painting “The Kiss” was standing majestically in the centre of a big hall, and was indeed the highlight of our visit.

From here we took a walk through the beautiful Baroque garden that separates the two buildings and visited the Museum of Medieval Art and the Baroque Museum, located in the Lower Belvedere.

When we finished the visit here, we took a tram and went towards the city centre. After one tram stop we got off, because we did not have change for the ticket and neither did the tram driver.

However, we found ourselves in a very nice area of Vienna and decided to walk. There were beautiful buildings on all the streets, and tall green trees were casting a cool shade on the pavement.

We kept looking around us admiring the architecture.

To be continued...
Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

We felt hungry and stopped by a fast food kiosk on the street. We bought ourselves some pizzas, big slices with lots of vegetables on them (we are vegetarians), then continued our walk.

After a short while we reached the Vienna Opera House, one of the most famous opera theaters in the world.

Not far from there, we passed by Goethe’s statue in the park at the Hofburg Imperial Palace, residence of the Habsburg emperors until 1918.

The Hofburg was extended to a magnificent residence when the Habsburg's power increased.

The palace is an enormous complex of buildings and currently it houses the hall where the famous Spanish Riding School performs, the Chapel where the Vienna Boys Choir sing, the offices of the Austrian President, a convention center, the National Library, the Imperial Treasury and the Museum of Ethnography.

We visited the Treasury, where we could admire the Emperor’s Crown of the Holy Roman Empire, the insignia of the Austrian Empire (the crown of Emperor Rudolf II, the imperial orb and scepter of Emperor Matthias), vestments and the Treasure of the Order of the Golden Fleece.

We also saw an ecclesiastical treasury with more shining gold, silver and precious gems.

They say that here, at the Hofburg, are some of the best jewels in Europe. We were amazed at the glitter of 21 rooms filled with scepters, swords, crowns, orbs, weighty robes, double-headed eagles, gowns, gem-studded bangles, and an almost 2 metres tall, 500 years old unicorn horn.

This was thought to be incredibly powerful in the old days, giving its owner the grace of God.

Then we visited the Imperial Apartments, where we strolled through the great audience hall, saw the conference room in which the Council of Ministers and the Crown Council met and the private rooms of Emperor Franz Joseph I.

We liked very much the private apartments of the Empress Elisabeth, also known as Sisi, the apartments of Tsar Alexander I (who lived here during the Congress of Vienna in 1815) and the dining room of the imperial family.

Franz Josef's wife Elisabeth was mysterious, narcissistic and beautiful. Nicknamed Sisi, she was mostly silent, worked out frantically to maintain her Barbie Doll figure and spent hours each day tending to her ankle-length hair.

Her servants worked two hours a day on her famous hair. Sisi has been compared to Princess Diana because of her beauty, her estrangement from her husband and her tragic death. She was assassinated in Geneva in 1898.

At dinnertime, Franz Josef called his large family together in the dining room. The settings were modest... just silver. Gold was saved for formal state dinners.

We continued our tour and saw the Imperial Silver Collection. One of the objects that drew our attention was the famous "Milan Centerpiece," which is almost 30 meters long.

The collection includes a wide range of richly decorated tableware, centrepieces, silverware, serving bowls, trays, porcelain from East Asia, Sèvres and Vienna, as well as the "Grand Vermeil Service", an elegant table service for 140 persons.

When we finished our tour here, we went out and followed the signs to the Albertina Museum, which is a part of the Hofburg Imperial Palace.

The Albertina houses one of the world's largest and most important graphic collections. We were amazed by works of Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Albrecht Dürer, Rembrandt, Rubens, Delacroix, Manet and Cézanne, along with well-known Austrian artists like Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt and Oskar Kokoschka.

During the time of our visit at the Albertina there was a temporary exhibition, titled Goya to Picasso, an excellent presentation of works by Goya, Delacroix, Van Gogh, Manet, Monet, Degas, Cezanne, Matisse and Picasso.

It was 6 o’clock when we finished our visit to this museum, just at the closing time. We went for a walk through the city, admiring the beautiful old architecture, taking pictures almost continuously.

We walked all the way back towards the Southern Station and stopped again at the Belvedere for a walk in the gardens.

We sat on a bench and admired the beautiful setting of the Upper Belvedere, the symmetry of the gardens with their lively colours and nice floral arrangements.

Finally, it was time to go to the station and catch the evening train to Graz.

To be continued...
Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:59 PM

Thanks for posting this trip report. Lots of great details. Your pictures looked great. Austria is such a wonderful combination of beauty, culture and history. I have enjoyed my three visits there. Now I will have to put Graz on my list of places to visit on my next trip to Austria. I am also looking forward to your Romanian trip report, as I leave for that country in a month.
Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your appreciation, noe847. Glad you like my report.

Day 5

Next day we took again the early morning train to Vienna, for our second visit to the beautiful Austrian capital.

From the Southern Station we took a tram, then changed to the underground and went to the Schonbrunn Palace.

Schonbrunn was built to rival the Versailles Palace and it served as summer residence to various Habsburg rulers. Here is where the Empress Maria Theresa lived with her 16 children and her husband Emperor Francis I.

Years later this was the place chosen by Napoleon as his headquarters during his Austrian campaigns.

The palace can be visited only with a guided tour and we had to stay in a queue for booking and tickets.

Our tour was scheduled after about 40 minutes, so we took a walk through the gardens and up the hill opposite the palace to the Gloriette.

This pavilion was built in 1775 to commemorate the famous Austrian victory over Frederick the Great’s Prussian army at Kolin in 1757. It is decorated with appropriately pompous figures and victory symbols.

All the way through the gardens, we kept looking at the Gloriette standing majestically at the top of the hill, but never seeming to get nearer to it.

We walked faster and by the time we reached the Neptune Fountain at the bottom of the hill, the time was against us already, but there was no way for us not to climb the hill, too.

Climbing the hill towards the Gloriette was rewarding for the amazing views of the gardens and palace. The Gloriette is the crowning architectural feature of the palace gardens.

From there we could see the city of Vienna beyond the palace, stretching far away in the distance. The time for our guided tour was approaching fast so we made our way back on the other side of the gardens.

The tour took us through the magnificent apartments of Maria Theresa, her sitting rooms, bedroom and the parlour in which 6 year old Mozart used to play for the Empress.

The most impressive room in the palace is the Great Gallery, 43 metres long and 10 metres wide, a magnificent example of Baroque culture.

We also visited the apartments of Emperor Franz Joseph and his wife, Elisabeth, which are furnished in 19th century style, and continued through the staterooms.

The tour that we took was the most comprehensive that they offered and it included 40 rooms of the 1441 in the Schonbrunn Palace!

The decorations were beautiful throughout the apartments, with frescoed ceilings, crystal chandeliers, huge mirrors and gilded ornaments.

After a very enjoyable visit to the Schonbrunn Palace, it was time for us to taste more of what Vienna had to offer, so we took the underground back to town.

We went to visit the Museum of Fine Arts. The magnificent architecture creates a fitting setting for the artistic treasures assembled by the Habsburgs, for centuries enthusiastic patrons and collectors.

The collections of the museum are amongst the most important and spectacular in the world.

We had the opportunity to admire paintings by Rubens, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Dürer, Raphael, Titian and Velazquez, as well as the largest Brueghel collection in the world.

We were overwhelmed by the amount of masterpieces we saw there. Apart from the fact that the building is an architectural masterpiece by itself, the interior decorations are amazingly rich and beautiful.

From the moment we entered through the museum’s door, we were completely surrounded by art: marble columns, majestic paintings on the walls and ceilings, beautiful staircase taking you up to the first floor amidst a splendid decor.

Before we left the museum, we stopped for a coffee in the museum’s coffee shop, to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. The coffee shop is set in a corner surrounded by beautiful marble columns.

After this we decided to take a walk through other areas of the city than the day before. We went to the city centre and strolled towards the St. Stephen’s Cathedral, one of the most famous sights in Vienna, being the heart of the Austrian capital for centuries.

It was built in 1147 and for a long time it was the highest building in Europe, measuring almost 137 m. The interior of the Cathedral is awesome, with many art treasures and the tomb of Prince Eugene of Savoy.

We continued our walk through the centre towards the Danube, admiring the beautiful architecture of the buildings on either side of the street.

When we reached the Danube we crossed the bridge to the other side and took a few photos. After some more walking we decided that it was time to return to the station, to catch the train back to Graz.

We enjoyed Vienna very much. It is a beautiful city and we wish we had more time to spend there.

To be continued...
Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Day 6

Next morning, we went on another day trip, this time to Salzburg. We were quite tired and couldn’t wake up early enough, so we lost the first train leaving early morning at 6.35.

However, we took the next one after two hours. At the train station, we bought some food supplies from the SPAR supermarket to have on the train and for a part of our day trip.

After a short while on the train, we felt hungry and started to eat breakfast. We had some delicious fruit yoghurts and some chocolates.

When the conductor came to check our tickets, he started to speak to us in German. I couldn’t understand all the words he spoke, but I could catch “fruhstuck”, which is breakfast.

I answered to him as naturally as possible in German and smiling, that yes, we were having our breakfast. He checked our tickets and left.

We had fun at this happening, as we were taken by surprise by the conductor’s approach and my wife didn’t expect me to understand and even to speak any German! But I can scramble my way through.

The journey to Salzburg is quite scenic, a lot of the time the train took us through mountains with their peaks covered in clouds, fog or snow.

We had a 20 minutes stopover in Bischofshofen, a small town in the mountains, where we changed trains.

Even though we didn't have long to wait, we went out of the railway station for a short walk around. We arrived in Salzburg after just over 4 hours.

We asked for directions to the Salzburg Residence at the information desk and then went out to get a bus.

We were inspecting the ticket machines to see how we could buy a bus ticket and a man carrying a briefcase approached us.

He recommended himself as being from the local transport company and he would sell us the bus tickets, because the ticket machines didn’t work.

We bought our tickets and took the bus toward the city centre. We got off right after crossing a bridge over the river Salzach, which passes through Salzburg.

We entered a narrow alley and immediately we found ourselves surrounded by a totally different atmosphere.

There were many shops there on narrow streets with old lamps and signs on the walls, buildings from the Middle Ages, Romanesque, Baroque and Renaissance periods as well as the elegant classical burghers' houses dating from the monarchy, an enchanting view.

We took on one of the winding streets mingling with the crowds of tourists.
After a few turns we reached the Residence Square, the largest square in the Old Town, with a big fountain in the middle, a fortress guarding the city from the top of a hill.

In the middle of the square rises the 15 metres high Residence Fountain, which is said to be the largest and most beautiful Baroque fountain outside of Italy.

We visited the Salzburg Residence, the official residence of the Prince Archbishops of Salzburg from the 12th century to 1803.

We started in the Carabinieri Hall, then climbed a two-wing staircase to the Knight's Hall. From here we had an excellent view of the Residence Square with its marvellous fountain.

We passed through the Conference Hall, where Mozart performed his first concert before the court of Prince Archbishop, at the age of six.

The most splendid room in the Residence is the Audience Room. Its splendour is elevated by the stucco works on the ceiling, partly covered with gold leaf.

In the Picture Gallery we admired an amazing collection of paintings from the 16th to the 19th century, including works by Rembrandt, Rubens, Titian and others.

When we ended our tour of the Residence, we walked around the Residence Square for a little while, turned around a corner and found ourselves in the Kapitelplatz, from where we could see the Hohensalzburg fortress just above us.

We continued our walk and visited the majestic Salzburg Cathedral. This is the most significant Italian monumental structure north of Alps.

The cathedral is white, as marble was used for the façade and spires. The interior of the cathedral is splendid, all white with frescoes on the ceiling and the 71m high cupola.

From the cathedral, we reached the Alter Markt – the Old Market, which is exactly the old market square of Salzburg, built in 1280.

To be continued...
Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

We were enraptured by the breathtaking beauty of the Old City, a true architectural delight with its variety of building styles.

Our next place to visit in Salzburg was the Hellbrunn Palace, just outside the city. We took a bus to reach there.

We went first to book our guided tour of the trick fountains for after 3 o’clock. Until then we had time to visit the main building of the palace (which is more of a manor and pleasure ground than a proper palace), built between 1613 and 1615.

A double-sided stairway in the front led us to the main entrance. The tour of the palace took us through staterooms, ballrooms and the remarkable Prince’s chambers.

Hellbrunn Palace’s fame, however, is based on its pleasure grounds and trick fountains.

The grounds and gardens contain wells, fountains, ponds, five artificial grottos, sculptures and statues – a Baroque Disneyland, created for the sole purpose of entertaining the immensely rich Prince Archbishop of Salzburg and his guests.

We were in for some rather wet surprises, too.
The most famous features of the fountains are the Neptune Fountain, built in the early 17th century, and the so-called Roman Theatre, with a marble table with seats that are part of a hidden fountain.

If the Prince Archbishop hosted a dinner, nobody was supposed to get up from his or her seat as long as the Prince Archbishop was still seated.

This explains why his chair is the only one not targeted by the fountain.
Water would spurt out through a hole right in the middle of the chairs.

We saw a live demonstration where the victims were some children from our tour group. Even though the kids got really wet, all of us had good fun.

We were splashed with water all through the tour, spurting out from the most unexpected spots. While we passed by a wall, water poured on us from the tips of a deer antler and its mouth, whose head was placed like a hunting trophy on the palace’s wall, above us.

A few metres down the alley we stopped to admire a beautiful and big doll house, set up like the main square of a town, and all of a sudden water spurted on us from some very small spouts placed right behind us, at the edge of the alley.

It was a very entertaining tour and with all the water that poured on us, our clothes did not shrink. We ended our visit to the palace with a relaxing walk through the gardens, laid out in the English style.

We took the bus back and got off in the newer part of the city, where we explored more on foot.

We passed by Mozart’s Residence, but the short time left till we had to catch the train back to Graz did not allow us to visit it.

We soon reached the Mirabell Palace, a Baroque masterpiece built in 1606.
The Palace is and has always been famous for its splendid gardens – a colourful world of flowers and sculptures, artistically trimmed hedges and arbours, blossoms and water-spouting fountains.

We couldn’t help stopping for a few minutes to see them. Just a quick stroll...

Once inside the gardens we could see the Hohensalzburg Fortress in the distance, majestically guarding the city from the top of the hill.

After a very enjoyable walk through the gardens, we went to the railway station. We were hungry and grabbed something to eat before we boarded our return train to Graz.

We had a beer with us on the train for good company. We arrived at around 11.30 pm in Graz and my brother was there waiting for us.

To be continued...
Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Day 7

In the morning we went for an exploration walk through Graz, admiring the architecture and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere of this city.

Then we went to visit the Eggenberg Palace, built in 1625-1656, the most splendid palace in the region of Styria.

We took a tram from the railway station and headed towards the outskirts of Graz. The palace is situated in a beautiful setting at the foot of the mountains.

From the main gate we walked on an alley leading to the palace through a big park, with peacocks stalking majestically on the turf.

We bought the tickets and booked for a guided tour. After about half an hour, we were at the starting point of the tour and were met by our guide, who was a student of arts and history.

With his stories and objective points of view, he made this an interesting and enjoyable visit. Modelled according to the Spanish Escorial, the magnificent Eggenberg Palace has 365 windows, 31 rooms on each floor, 24 state rooms with 52 doors and 60 windows, 4 corner towers – all allusions to time, seasons, weeks, days, hours, minutes.

This number symbolism based on the then new Gregorian calendar is the architectural theme of the palace.

Also, the paintings in the Planet Hall are characterized by astronomical symbolism.

The frescoes on the ceiling represent the seven celestial bodies known at that time, allocated to the days of the week, to Roman gods, to metals and to members of the Eggenberger family, among them a victorious general and an imperial envoy.

On the walls, the twelve signs of the zodiac complete the astronomical play on numbers.

We also visited the Lapidarium, with a large collection of Roman stones, the coin collection and the Old Gallery with works of art from the Romanesque period to the late Baroque.

At the end of our tour we strolled through the park and found a small and beautiful garden somewhere at the back of the palace, The Planet Garden, which follows the same theme as the palace.

We sat down on a bench in the shade of a big tree and relaxed. After a while we continued our walk and tried to get nearer to the peacocks.

We succeeded to get close enough and took a few pictures. At the edge of a small forest, in a nice setting under the shade of tall leafy trees, we found a coffee shop and stopped there to enjoy a break in the nature and a coffee, before we returned home.

End of report.
Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM

wow, thank you for such a lovely detailed report. I have printed it (!) for the future.
Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM

Very nice job. Is the fine arts museum you mention in Vienna the Kunsthistorisches Museum? It is indeed amazing. I cannot get enough of it - I've been there three times! You really fit a lot into your day trips - especially Salzburg. On your next visit to the city, the fortress Hohensalzburg is very worth seeing.
Aug 24th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

SeaUrchin and noe847,

Thank you for your appreciation. So glad you liked my report.

Yes, in Vienna was the Kunsthistorisches Museum. I was struck with awe when I entered it.

I was looking only up at the ceilings, walls and columns while climbing those stairs to the first floor. I didn't stumble on the steps, but I nearly did.

One of the reasons we stopped for a coffee at their cafe was to look more at their smashingly beautiful interior decorations.

Unfortunately we didn't have enough time in Salzburg to go to the fortress.

While we do cover a lot in our day trips, we also don't like to rush our visits just to tick them off. Like it happened with Hohensalzburg.

Also, we almost always know our way around, schedules and timings (good and detailed planning), so that saves a lot of time, which then translates into visiting time.

You've been there three times! I envy you.
Aug 28th, 2006, 09:37 PM
lyb

tagging
Aug 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Austria is so lovely that it is easy to return. Our three visits have all been in the winter. Some day I'd love to see it in warm weather and do some hiking.
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I've been to Austria in winter as well, but that was in 1999. At that time I visited the area around Klagenfurt, with a few small towns and villages around.

I rubbed my face with snow and enjoyed the mountains and the forests. There was a castle near St. Veit, called Hochosterwitz, I think, right at the top of a mountain. Excellent!

Now I miss winter there!