Swansea/SW Wales recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woo hoo Mr N and I are dragging ourselves away from the office for easter and we are going to Swansea for 3 days. I wanted to go to Wales, looking for a good deal, and what came up was the 4* Swansea Marriott for 3 nights for £200 Fri-Sun. Looks like a nice enough place, got a pool, free parking, good location, don't care about the soul-less chain element!

So...what can we do round there? We need a good relax and won't be rushing around anywhere, so not planning on doing to much other than just pootling round the town and beaches and having a look at Mumbles (weather permitting) but also want maybe one/two main 'things' to do each day. Currently the Maritime musuem looks top, plus the Vally of Neath waterfall walks, any other 'must-sees' you can recommend. Freebie stuff especially as we don't have much of a budget, this is more a get-away-from it-all change-of-scene trip. Our first break for a looooooong time, and we're both knackered, so suggestions of mountain climbing or anything terribly energetic will fall on deaf ears, although I realise it's a good spot for it.

I'd also like to do a boat trip - any recommendations? Plus of course nice (but fairly budget - up to about £20 a person) places for dinners, preferably within walking distance of the hotel, which is in the Maritime district. Any of the steam railways within reasonable distance - we don't mind driving out of the area up to say an hour or so. Also - any of the mining museums/pits within reach and worth seeing?

thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

I'm now mulling over stopping off at 'The Big Pit' on our way there on Friday, as we are driving from the east (Londonish). Good idea or a pain?
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Laugharne is not too far from Swansea if you are into Dylan Thomas, plus it is a very nice place in it's own right.

Carmarthen is also a nice town.

I've never been to the Big Pit but I have heard good reports of it.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:04 AM

Neath Abbey is a nice place ramble. If you haven't been to Craig y Nos, that too is worth a good look. The former home of opera singer Adelina Patti -- it was also once used as a TB hospital -- has been converted into a hotel. I've been there only in the rain so haven't been able to explore the gardens, but the coffee in the lounge is good and the tiny opera house she built on the property is charming. Dan yr Ogof National Showcaves are nearby, I believe. Swansea Market has some interesting stall holders. We've stayed at the Marriott and liked it.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Big Pit is well worth visiting, but it would be a bit of a detour for you, and a visit would take some time. Assuming you are coming down the M4 from London, other possible places en route are Castell Coch, Caerleon Roman fort and baths, Chepstow Castle, and St Fagans. They would all also offer somewhere to get lunch en route.

Details of Castell Coch, Chepstow Castle, Caerleon and many other sites can be found on the Cadw web site at www.cadw.wales.gov.uk. There is paid admission at many sites, but they are free if you are a member of English Heritage. Big Pit and St Fagans are part of the National Museum of Wales and have free admission, and details are at www.museumwales.ac.uk along with several other historic sites. It takes a long time to see everything at St Fagans, but you could do a short taster visit, as it is free.

The Gower has many good walks and views, although the historic sites are perhaps not so impressive. It is a good place to mooch around.

There is a big widening programme of road works on the M4 in South Wales, so do be prepared for delays.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM

I hope the weather is good enough for you to get outside and enjoy the Gower otherwise the caves (Dan yr Ogof) will keep you dry.

Which waterfalls are included in the Valley of Neath waterfall walks? The waterfall in Resolven is a favourite of mine.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM

Boat trips are rather scarce in the Swansea area. In summer, there are occasional day trips to Devon, but not at Easter. The nearest might be a canal trip in Brecon (www.dragonfly-cruises.co.uk), a trip on Cardiff Bay (www.cardiffwaterbus.com), Caldey Island off Tenby (www.caldey-island.co.uk) or a trip in a small boat on the Neath Canal (www.neath-tennant-canals.org.uk).
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help so far. St Fagans does look like an excellent place to stop off for lunch and an hour or so mooch about, although I know we won't be able to do it all justice. I'm a real museum fiend but Mr N has his limit, so it won't hurt just to have a gentle intro on day one.

Swansea was quite a random pick but the more I look at it the more I like it! What a great spot for a spring break.

Any more advice very welcome.