Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Swandav--any new info on Christmas Markets in Germany? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/swandav-any-new-info-on-christmas-markets-in-germany-1700148/)

JulieVikmanis Aug 30th, 2021 09:54 AM

Swandav--any new info on Christmas Markets in Germany?

I haven't been keeping up with this forum recently so apologies if I'm asking a question that's already been answered, but we have reservations for Christmas in Munich and if US residents aren't shut out of Europe completely by then, we are hopeful of taking our grandkids to markets in Munich and surrounds over the holidays. Have there been decisions made yet about whether the markets will be held? Or have they announced the dates by which they expect to make and announce those decisions? Fingers crossed.

swandav2000 Aug 30th, 2021 10:24 AM

Hi JulieVikmanis,

Sorry, no news. Have heard nothing since April.

Everything will depend in vaccinations & stats, of course. Right now we're at about 60% of people with one jab, and we've been vaccinating for 7 months. As for stats, in May & June, we had about 4 or 5 infections per 100,000 people. Since August we've been at 26, 24, 19, 18... and today 29 infections per 100,000 people. You can see that the trend is not encouraging. When a community hits 35 infections per 100,000, then restrictions kick in, and the restrictions get worse at 50 infections per 100,000.

People are saying it could be a last-minute cancellation, like last year. Sadly.

Hoping for good news for all..

s

JulieVikmanis Aug 30th, 2021 12:13 PM

Thanks so much for the quick and highly informative reply. Would that trends were cheerier. Fingers crossed......

swandav2000 Sep 8th, 2021 02:05 AM

Hi again JulieVikmanis,

There have been some changes here in Bavaria. There has been no new announcement about the markets, but the changes seem like a good sign.

Instead of only tracking the number of infections in society, the authorities are now tracking the number of hospitalized Covid patients. Even though our infection numbers are rising, the number of hospital beds is not, so we have just been allowed to use regular surgical masks instead of only the FFP2 masks as previously. They're using a green/yellow/red light system; we're currently green, and will go to yellow with1,200 patients in hospital, and go to red with 600 patients in ICU.

So, this seems like an acknowledgement that simple infections are no longer dire. A good sign, I think!

s

swandav2000 Sep 15th, 2021 01:07 AM

Hallo hallo again!

So, the news appears good. I read this today from a Munich resident on another forum:

"Just on the christmas markets, it looks like they will happen but possibly with the food stands separated from the stands selling christmas related goods. If I understand correctly, the food stands might be completely cordoned off and require a test or vaccine cert for entry to that restricted area, the markets though operating relatively normal, but I presume with mask wearing complsorary. With a large portion of the population vaccinated theres no reason to completely cancel the markets just because a chunk of the population either refuses or cannot be bothered to get vaccinated."

Looks like a good win for all of us :)

s

JulieVikmanis Sep 16th, 2021 02:08 AM

Hurrah. And thanks so much, Swandav, for bringing this good news. We have tickets for the whole family--us, kids, and grandkids. Will fly to and stay in Munich but intend to do several day trips including one to GAP. Hope we can connect with you. More as plans shape up.

swandav2000 Sep 16th, 2021 02:24 AM

So happy it'll work out for you and your family!! Yes, I'd love to meet you guys for drinks or something. But my nephew may be changing his plans now, again, and could be here for Christmas as well....

Stay well

s