Search

SW Ireland Tentative Itinerary - re-post

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SW Ireland Tentative Itinerary - re-post

Sorry if this appears twice - I cannot seem to locate it on a regular search
Well, here is another go. I am slowly but surely getting the lay of the land. With the excellent help given to me so far, I think I am narrowing things down. So, if I could throw this out on the table and see what the experts have to say, that would be great.
We have seven nights flying in and out of Shannon and arrive at 4:30 pm.on Sun. Apr. 30th. Don't mind driving for a couple of hours so our first night begins in -
Day 1 Doolin
Day 2 Dingle via Killimer/Tarbert ferry
Day 3 Killarney
Day 4 Kenmare or Glengariff
Day 5 Kinsale
Day 6 Cashel
Day 7 Bunratty
Or if you think I should double up somewhere (ie. two nights) which should I choose. We do love driving but I hope this seems to make some reasonable sense and that we aren't going to be in a car 24/7. Thank you everyone for all your help so far. This trip is starting to feel very real!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM

starfish,
If this trip is going to be your only trip to Ireland, then stick with your schedule. If you think you'll be back someday, I would slow down the pace considerably.

Two nights in Doolin or Ballyvaughn. The first night head for the pubs. Tour the Burren and surrounding areas the next day.

Double up in either Dingle or Killarney. Dingle and the Slea Head drive being my favorite and it's less touristy too. Save Kenmare for another time.

Two nights in Kinsale or Cashel area. I thought Kinsale was beautiful.

The last night in Bunratty.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:04 PM

Starfish, no need for reposting so much. Just click on your screen name anytime you see it on the screen in blue and all of your previous posts will show up.

"Post a reply" to move it back up to the top (topping or ttt - to the top)
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM

that is alot of driving. Skip Doolin and go right to Dingle and spend two nights. Do two nights is either Killarney or Kenmare, the rest looks good. You can make a loop from Shannon to Dingle and see the Cliffs, it only take an hour and you might want to spend two nights in Kinsale. Have fun
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM

I dunno, maybe it's me, but everyone seems intent on driving you ALL over.
My take:
Nights 1 & 2:Arrive Shannon 4:30Pm and drive to Kinsale. It will stay light quite late the end of April/begining of May and you are coming from London, presumable acclimated to the time differential. Spend two nights in Kinsale.
Night 3rive along the coast road through Skibbereen to Bantry and then on to Killarney, via Glenngarrif and Kenmare. Along the way you will see Bantry Bay, Caha Pass, Moll's Gap, Ladies View and the aforementioned towns. Spend the night in Killarney.
Next drive to Dingle and do the Slea Head drive. Spend the night in Dingle.
Night 4: From Dingle, drive over the Connor Pass and head to Tralee, and on to Tarbert. Take the ferry across the Shannon to Kilimer and drive along the coast to Doolin and the Cliff's of Moher. Spend the night in Doolin, Ballyvaughn or ???
Night 5: Drive through the Burren to Galway and on to Westport. Spend the night.
Night 6: Drive down to Bunratty. Spend the night in Ennis or Bunratty.

A LOT of driving, yes, but ...
You get to see and/or stay in all the places you listed and the is MINIMAL back-tracking. If you are willing to give up Kinsale, start in Killarney for two nights and add in the extra night in Westport.

Bob
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM

If you do stay in Kenmare for a night or two,try to detour out to Mizen Head on your way to Kinsale.When I was planning my first trip to Ireland last year someone on this board recommened to do that, and it was great advice.
http://www.mizenhead.net/
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow, ask and ye shall receive - thank you everyone for all your food for thought. I don't know what happened but everytime I tried to find my post it was never there and now badaboombadabing - two are showing up and I feel dumb. I think there is a gremlin or something but anyway for the trip I will have a re-think and see what works best. JOHNOD you really scared me off Doolin in one of your other posts so I might take that off my list. I truly thought it would be a great intro. to Ireland for the first night but am now reconsidering. Also, I gather from everyone that we shouldn't focus too much on getting to Cashel and spend time west of there instead. Appreciate everyone's help and sorry again for all the posts!