Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SUVs in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suvs-in-paris-678844/)

TPaxe Feb 11th, 2007 12:28 PM

SUVs in Paris

I hear there is a secret band of people letting down tyres of SUVs in Paris. Has anyone a link to any of these reports?

Such a shame Paris is allowing these type of vehicles to be ripping up their beautiful streets and polluting the buildings.

Would love to read about this as I'm going to Paris later this year and would love to join the group!

StCirq Feb 11th, 2007 12:33 PM

They're anything but secret and a simple google search would yield the information you're looking for. I doubt anyone on this board is interested in furthering your aims.

TPaxe Feb 11th, 2007 12:49 PM

Just doing my bit for the environment; lighten up StCirq. They are not to be found on Google, just like the anti-advertising people who scrawled slogans across the banal Galleries Lafayette and inane advertising posters in the metro, but good for them, bravo!

I booked a hotel for our Paris trip and the concierge asked if we wanted a "large black SUV for our transfers and for our driving/guiding needs with a chauffeur". With a price attached of course. Nearly fell out of my chair.

ira Feb 11th, 2007 02:20 PM

>Such a shame Paris is allowing these type of vehicles to be ripping up their beautiful streets and polluting the buildings.<

Unlike their Diesel buses.

((I))

Michael Feb 11th, 2007 02:33 PM

Ira,

Their diesel buses now use catalytic converters and might be no dirtier than cars per passenger mile.

StCirq Feb 11th, 2007 03:43 PM

Well, I already knew about them, but used google anyway, and within about 5 seconds got the full scoop on quite a number of websites.

TPaxe Feb 11th, 2007 07:36 PM

Most of the public buses and garbage trucks in Paris are hybrid-electric. Also, I think the Smart cars too. I always see the signs everywhere (blue with white electric plug, like the parking signs=.

These hybrid-vehicles carry about 50 passengers, while a SUV sometimes just has one person.

St Cirq, could you post a link as how to get in contact with this group. There links on reports about them, but not one where they can be found and contacted. I have a jounalist friend in the States who would like to interview them for a travel magazine. Way cities are changing, environment, etc...

Art_Vandelay Feb 12th, 2007 12:36 AM

I don't know why StCirq is being so coy about "Les Dégonflés" - that's the name of this group who, obviously, has stopped its "actions". But they still have a fun web site: http://www.anti4x4.net. I particularly liked the link to another blog: http://4x4groscon.free.fr, whose title French speakers will no doubt savor!

TPaxe Feb 12th, 2007 01:19 AM

Art, thank you very much. Such a funny website and yes, I do understand the French title of it. Too funny.

I shall pass this onto my friend as he shall want to interview the organizers, why it has stopped, etc.

Something like this could never happen in the States so my jounalist friend was intrigued by their actions, which they are rightly justified to do! Sans SUVs in Paris will be so much better.

Thank you again.

Tulips Feb 12th, 2007 03:39 AM

And if all those Americans stopped flying to Paris, think of what that would do for CO2 emissions (and wouldn't that beautiful city look much more authentic too).

TPaxe Feb 12th, 2007 07:05 AM

Tulips, how puzzling. what's Americans flying to Paris got to do with pollutant SUVs? Please don't get into an anti-American thingy here, but thank you again for the links Art! The jounalist has made contact already!

Tulips Feb 12th, 2007 07:09 AM

If you want to change the world, start at home. Why fly all the way to Paris to let air out of tires?

TPaxe Feb 12th, 2007 08:17 AM

Have an apartment in Paris and visit often for holidays, and starting to live there part time now. Most time live in the States. Just trying to do the best, so is my jounalist friend. PS: I don't driver SUVs in either places.

fnarf999 Feb 12th, 2007 09:34 AM

Commercial flights release more CO2 into the atmosphere (and at a much more damaging atmospheric level to boot) than even the stinkiest SUV. Yes, that's per person per mile. Flying to Paris is more damaging to the environment that if you drove there (in your magic car that rides on water, of course).

Modern SUVs are actually pretty clean emissions-wise; much, much more so than even small cars of two decades ago. Those adorable historic 2CVs and Fiat 500s are releasing more and worse gases than an Escalade or Hummer.

The problem with SUVs isn't emissions so much as gas mileage. Most petroleum comes from people who support terrorism. Remember "when you ride alone you ride with bin Laden".

sandi_travelnut Feb 12th, 2007 09:51 AM

Remember "when you ride alone you ride with bin Laden".

Oh my God I hope you're kidding. Do you also support "if you are not with us, you're against us"?

fnarf999 Feb 12th, 2007 10:53 AM

Don't be silly. Why would I support that?

The fact is that an appreciable portion of every dollar, pound, or euro you put into the gas pump goes to Al Qaeda, which receives millions from Saudi princes.

People who claim to oppose terrorism but drive around solo in gas guzzlers are hypocrites.

sandi_travelnut Feb 12th, 2007 11:39 AM

Even if my car gets decent gas milage I am still a slave to the gas that's available to me. What I think we're missing is that we are not forcing the auto makers to make more fuel efficient cars like we know they can. No matter how hard you try you will never get everyone to think and believe what you do, but if they all got better mileage or were alternative energy driven the who cares what size it is?

ira Feb 12th, 2007 01:09 PM

>..my jounalist friend was intrigued by their actions, which they are rightly justified to do! <

Really. How does one justify the unlawful destruction of other people's property?

What laws of God, Nature or Mankind do you cite.

Why not set a bomb under the car and blow it up?

Why not put a bomb in the car and blow up the driver, too.

Why not bomb the driver's home?

Why not bomb the whole parking lot, preferably when the drivers are getting their cars?

((I))

TPaxe Feb 12th, 2007 01:20 PM

Oh dear Ira, you mention "bomb" 4 times. No-one has mentioned bombs, where has your mind gone. Whew, I hope you and your SUV have many happy days together. If you find your tyres are let down, it wasn't me!

lawchick Feb 12th, 2007 01:23 PM

I was impressed by Ira's enduring patience on this board. Though this thread of madness is enough to ruffle anyones feathers.