Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Surprise trip-where would you like to go?

Oct 13th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Frances

On Thursday I am taking my husband for a trip as a (slightly late) birthday present.I am not telling him where we are going.
I have been amazed by the reaction this has prompted in work colleagues.Usually when someone says they are going away to wherever,you are wished a good trip.This time people become completely engrossed in trying to guess where we are going and so far no-one has guessed correctly.
I had help from this forum in choosing a hotel which I am unlikely to have found otherwise.There does not appear to be one guidebook available on this area.
It's been great fun and I'm still not sure whether my husband has guessed where we are going although he says he hasn't.
Thank you for your help.Shall I let you know where we've been?

Oct 13th, 2002, 09:37 AM
xxx

Oh please tell us now, we promise not to tell your husband!!!

Oct 13th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Frances

I'll tell you what he knows already.It's further south than here(we live in North Wales), we are flying,we'll be away for 3 nights, he can have beer(one of his pre-requisites, but as he said it shows we're not going to Karachi),and I've been there but he hasn't -that doesn't help you much!
We have travelled through most of Europe and to the States, Canada and India.He knows that I'm ordering foreign currency.

Oct 13th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Ira

Germany or Austria?

Oct 14th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Bill

Hopefully not the Ivory Coast.

Oct 14th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Myriam

Liechtenstein? San Marino? Andorra?
I really couldn't think of a place for which there is no guidebook available!

Oct 14th, 2002, 05:20 AM
s.fowler

Macedonia? Serbia?

Oct 14th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Jan

Hmmm...Gozo??
Can't wait to hear about it!
Cheers,
Jan

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Rusty

My guess, if I may, would be the Canary Islands. Close? Maybe?

Oct 14th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Frances

Now you see what I meant when I said that people got completely engrossed in trying to guess where we are going!
The guide book or lack of it relates to the area of the country we are going to and one of you has actually hit the country on the head , but not the area (yet).
Another clue?We are going to be doing something that we both enjoy but we've not had too much chance to do since we've had children.-No not that!

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Myriam

Hiking in the Austrian Alps?
A Hütten trip in Bavaria? --> the beer!!!
A boat trip on the Danube?
Afternoon tea at the Princely Palace in Liechtenstein?
Collecting rare San Marino euro coins in San Marino?
Skiing in Andorra?
Scuba diving in Gozo?
The Canary Islands ... let's see: Tenerife? Gran Canary? Lanzarote? Fuerteventura? La Gomera? El Hierro? La Palma?

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:37 PM
orgy7

my guess is either Moraco or egypt..
I need more clues though..

Oct 14th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Frances

O.K. Orgy7, more clues.
We are having to change planes to get there from Manchester and the plane change is not in the U.K.
We are flying in to one country but our destination is not in that country. From what I've just heard on the weather forecast, it may be quite cold there by Thursday.That cuts out the Canaries although I admit I've never been there!

Oct 14th, 2002, 02:58 PM
xxx

Are you flying in to Budapest?

Oct 15th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Frances

No we're not flying in to Budapest.A couple more pointers that people have elicited today-
It's not Madrid, Barcelona, Paris or Rome.My husband asked if it was going to be better weather than here because we've had foul weather today.I said it wasn't because of what I'd seen on the weather forecast last night.He then asked whether in that case there were pubs he could sit in in bad weather-this man's got his focus on what he wants!I think there are but I said they wouldn't be called pubs so to my mind he could rule out Ibiza and Ireland.!
However when I went on this destination's website I found they had a temperature indicator which said it was 18 degrees, I think because I don't speak the language to any huge degree.At least not enough to work out if it was the temperature "now" or today's high.I speak English French and Welsh with a smattering of Spanish. I suppose this would be my fifth language.
This should be getting easier now for anyone familiar with education in Wales( and England) in the 1970's

Oct 15th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Myriam

I give up! When are you coming back, Frances? Make sure to let us know where you've been please!

Oct 15th, 2002, 01:13 PM
orgy7

Andora. my guese is your flying too toulouse france and taking a train or something to Andora..

I'm just guessing you using British midland..

Oct 16th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Rex

Both of the websites for Andorra - - www.turisme.ad - - and for San Marino - - www.sanmarinosite.com have pretty good information in English, and no weather readily apparent.

But das Wetterbericht for Liechtenstein - - www.lol.li - - shows 18 degrees, so this must be the answer.

The website www.tourismus.li actually shows a high of 23 for today, but both sites show weather turning colder and grayer as the week progresses. High of only 13 tomorrow.

Traurig über das!

Best wishes all the same...

Rex

Oct 16th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Frances

Well my youngest daughter has departed this morning for Paris which was the trigger for our trip. Now its just us left to go-early tomorrow-9.10 check in.That's getting up at 4.30.
My husband is being incredibly patient about this -not at all like him.He tells me that his office is running a book on where we're going.Now what is that going to say about what his staff think of me?
The field is narrowing from the above- both orgy7 and Rex are close in different respects,but neither is correct in the destination(or even the country.)

Oct 21st, 2002, 09:49 AM
Frances

We're back!We have been to Gengenbach in the Black Forest in Germany.We stayed at the Hotel Benz which had been recommended on this forum. It was lovely and the hotel(and food) were very good.I had only booked two nights there as we were going walking and in case the weather was wet I thought we may want to move on. We didn't but the hotel was fully booked on Sat and so we had to leave. We headed off to Triburg but didn't stay long-soon found out that the German word for cuckoo clock is kuckucksuhren(you'll know why if you've ever been to Triburg!)Ended up that night in Titisee and splashed out on Hotel Romantik Schwarzwaldhotel right on the lakeside. They discounted the usual room rate for a lake view from 170 Euros to 130 and so got themselves a booking.Hotel was lovely and to wake to the view of the mist on the lake was stunning.
We spent yesterday morning in Freiburg- there are some beautiful cities in central Europe.
This was one of five destinations which had been on the short list for this trip. The others were
1.Marrakech,
2. Majorca,
3.Puglia in Italy,
4.The Inn at Perry Cabin in Maryland.I came acroos this on the Orient Express site whilst searching for a Golden wedding present for my parents.They have the most fantastic discounts if your long weekend starts on a Thursday.

Why did I choose the Black Forest-well a couple of reasons really.I started looking into all of these at the same time. I had a notional budget of £1000.I am quite choosy about airlines and for a short break, really wanted to go from Manchester.In September I discovered that a large number of Delta Airmiles were about to expire.i had completely forgotten about these since we cancelled out trip to Hawaii last Christmas which would hav e extended their validity another 3 years.I checked if we could reach anyone of these destinations and earn Aitmiles and we got it with Air France.
my husband guessed about 10 miles from the airport but we had a lot of fun in keeping him guessing. So much so that I'm thinking of doing it again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO