Reload this Page >

Surly Steward(s) after 9/11

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:41 AM
sandi

Has anyone noticed a changed attitude in the Airlines staff? Last three trips we were not allowed out of our seats but once (7 hour trip). The 'fasten seat belt sign' was on continuously, with no noticable turbulance, and the stewardess threatened to 'lock out the bathrooms' if we dared to stand up. Also, since it was a full plane, and little opportunity to use the facilities, some folks came up to the business section, and she about flipped!! This, and other incidents makes me think that they are 'running scared' and trying to curtail as much movement in the plane as possible. Of course, when you sit 6-7 hours in coach, you NEED to get up and move about. IT is imperitive for the sake of your vascular system , i.e., prevent clots. Has anyone noticed this.

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Demi

I have noticed they do not want people congreating in groups in the planes, but I have never heard of not being allowed out of your seat if the seat belt sign was off. One 4 Int'l. flights since 9/11, never has anyone been denied using the bathrooms that I know of. I have to walk a little every hour or so and I was given no grief! But I walked back and forth a few times and returned to my seat. <BR>On prior flights there were always groups standing around the rear galley just to get out of their seats, but no more!

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:09 AM
doug

Haven't noticed it beeing worse since 9/11. Have noticed differences between airlines. IMHO United is the worst. By far the most military type attitude in all areas. I have had surly service from United even in business class. (I have also had exceptional service from United.) Long haul flights usually go to pretty senior staff which means you get the best (most experienced)and the worst (most burned out). <BR><BR>Fridays and Sundays are also the worst as you have more inexperienced fliers.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:19 AM
ryan

I think there is more to the issue than simply chalking it up to 9/11 and flight attendants "running scared". Yes, they are stricter about getting up when the seat-belt sign is on.<BR><BR>I think what you experienced was also caused by other factors. The flight attendants may also be reacting to the layoffs and furloughs that have occurred in their ranks. <BR><BR>In addition, several airlines have had ongoing labor problems. United among them. There are real threats of labor actions and management push-backs on salaries and benefits.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:25 AM
amy

I echo the comments about United. Took their redeye flight from NY to London a few months ago and had one nightmare steward. When I asked if he could get me a pasta meal before they ran out (other option was pork----who serves pork on an airplane???) he told me no. When I said I wanted to speak to the purser about that service he told me to stop harassing him and that if I said one more thing he'd have me arrested upon landing!!!

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:08 AM
andrew

I think they keep the 'seat belt" sign on asap, without having people pee on the floor, as it diminishes their trouble, and risk. I think this is a common problem. You should just say, "sorry but it is getting urgent" and "I must go relieve myself or can't be responsible". For the elderly and kids, it is unsupportable to keep people sitting for hours with no real reason, other than 'their' convenience.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Therese

Delta's been turning the seatbelt sign on as a crowd control measure, particularly around meal times. Okay with me, as chatty folks hanging out in the corridor and near the bathrooms are not the people I want to be around on a long flight. Well-timed quick trips to the head drew no comment from the flight attendants.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:34 AM
julie

Had the nerve on one flight last month to ask for 'glass of water' since the sign had been on most of the flight. She said 'when I am not busy' and then never brought it. I finally got up and went to the kitchen and helped myself! Got dirty look but no comment.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Anne

Flew United home from paris, no problems, they were nice even when a first class passenger tried to put down the curtain (that is not done anymore). Domestic portion was fine too. Airlines weren't serving beef because of the mad cow disease. They just started serving it again.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Sue

Just took a domestic flight this weekend on American and everyone was very cordial. The pilot thanked us many times for flying American. No food at all, but the seats are fabulous in coach.<BR><BR>We are flying American to Paris next week and I think the service will be just as pleasant - but there better be some food!

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:39 PM
kt

I think that we all need to deal with the fact that post 9/11 we are going to give up some comfort and convenience for the sake of security- eg the seat belt sign being on more, the curtain not being closed to the "upper classes", and flight crew being on edge. When you think about the new responsibilities that crew have, it's not surprising that they may not kiss your rear quite the way you want. <BR><BR>Bear in mind that these folks are _not_ waiters/waitresses. They are professionals who have duties and concerns that extend beyond serving you. I'm willing to sacrifice to be able to safely travel long distances in short times. You may have been flying a high-risk route or there may have been specific or non-specific security concerns to which the crew was reacting.<BR><BR>All that aside, I have to give props to the United crew I flew back from London with last week. One of the flight attendants even made a fresh pot of coffee and brought cups to me and my husband- in coach! Nice service and a pleasant trip.