Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Supposed to leave today...NO PASSPORT (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/supposed-to-leave-today-no-passport-706725/)

texgirl May 21st, 2007 03:19 AM

Supposed to leave today...NO PASSPORT

For those interested, here is the story from an earlier thread...

""Unfortunately, my husband and I are having same problems. We applied 2/27 and was told at post office AND also listed on the passport webpage that the wait was 6-8 weeks instead of the usual 4-6 weeks. 2 or 3 days after we applied, their webpage was updated to I think around 10 weeks. So after it had been finally put into their system, I called to see if we could expedite after that fact. Was told we could, but they still would not do anything about it until 2 weeks before departure. We are supposed to fly out on 5/21. I have called and had our passports expedited and they have sent numerous emails to agency in Charleston where our passports are being processed. I had our senator step in on our behalf but not until a few days ago...didn't think of it until then. I rec'd my passport Thursday morning. My husband's is still "in process" as of about noon today. I need to call again for an update. Even though we leave Monday out of Houston in late afternoon, he has an appt. at 800 (Probably with hundereds of other people). They told us they could try to print it out and have it right there for us. Going to the Houston office was not brought to our attention until Thursday and my husband was out of town until tomorrow and unable to make it back. I am not sure what we are going to do except hope and pray. I think the appt. Monday morning is a long shot, but we'll see. What is really aggravating is that on their webpage and on the recorded phone conversation it still states about 10 weeks."

Update...my husband got up at 2am to go to downtown Houston to try to get his passport, well, he was #3 in line at the front door a little after 300am. He called me about 430 and said there were about 50-75 people already in line with more constantly showing up. He called back about 530 and said that a security guard told all these people that they could not enter through the front and were rerouted to the back of the building and now he says there are about 200 people in front of him. Apparently there are alot of people waiting at ALL entrances to the building. I am so mad I can't even cry. So if you have an appt at the Houston office, be forewarned.

mrkindallas May 21st, 2007 03:36 AM

What a mess!!! I hope things work out for you!

mclaurie May 21st, 2007 03:40 AM

:-< 200 in front of him?

ellene May 21st, 2007 03:53 AM

I had a similar situation last year. I paid a passport expediter $150 dollars, and got it the next day. Money well spent to have the peace of mind of knowing it was in hand. I used itseasy.
Would use then again if I ever misplace my passport.

kleeblatt May 21st, 2007 04:08 AM

I really feel for you.

Surely this problem must happen quite often nowadays. What is standard procedure in a case like this? Are airlines offering any compensation for unissued passports?

daveesl May 21st, 2007 04:12 AM

You know, this is pathetic. The Passport office offers their "expedited" service for like $60 I think. My daughter used it in January and got her passport in 2 weeks.

Now, if they can do that why can't they process a "regular" application in 3-5 months? Exactly what "security measures" are they doing that takes 1/3 year? Or do they not do any checks if you expedite? Back in the early 1970's I got a top secret clearance in like 3 months.

I sure hope it goes well for you guys.

dave

cruiseluv May 21st, 2007 04:26 AM

Hi Teexgirl, I feel I could cry for you. By the time I finished reading your post I was irate, so I could only imagine how you and your husband are feeling!

I am praying that somehow he'll get it! Please , if you have time let us know how it ends.

Hopefully, you'll be so busy going to the airport that you will not have time. So if we don't hear from you I'll asume you were able to leave after all.

What a mess!

sheila May 21st, 2007 04:55 AM

With my recent experiences, I can only sympathise. I look forward to hearing from you as soon as you get back from your holiday

Dukey May 21st, 2007 05:08 AM

Does anyone remember the posts earlier this year which cited the passport folkks saying the processing time was going to double and perhaps even triple given the huge number of requests?

This past week with all the "no passport" posts it seems to be true.

nbodyhome May 21st, 2007 05:38 AM

I'm so sorry! I hate being in a line and then a different line opens instead. That isn't fair. :(

mrkindallas May 21st, 2007 06:53 AM

I hope that worst case scenario is that he gets his passport today (although maybe too late to catch today's flight) and that the airline puts you on the next available flight at no additional charge...So if you don't make it today, then hopefully there's tomorrow...I do hope you make it today though.

After reading your message this morning, I realized that I will have to take matters into my own hands in order to avoid the disaster in Houston. I found phone numbers for the Charleston office (very difficult task) and got through to someone who said that she'd have my passport done today and they would call back with the FedEx number. I'm hoping!!! I won't quit worrying until I have a FedEx tracking number...and finally the FedEx package...But I do feel better that I was actually able to speak to someone in Charleston myself.

I have a Plan B, but I can't post it yet because it would only work for a limited number of people. Once I get my FedEx tracking number, I'll post it and someone else can decide if it's worth trying.

I'm thinking about you today and sending optimistic thoughts your way.

Marsh May 21st, 2007 07:04 AM

I was lucky enough to get my passport back in time for my trip after sending it in to have pages added. I am now thinking that the nightmare that is occurring now will be repeated in 10 years unless some changes are made!

NeoPatrick May 21st, 2007 07:09 AM

Marsh, I don't get why you suspect this will be repeated. Surely you will have learned a lesson, and check out and follow the current delays next time -- even if it means sending in your passport 6 months before expiration.

texgirl May 21st, 2007 07:20 AM

Update...he called at 1000am and his passport will be ready to be picked up at the federal building at 230 (but we are going to get there way early just in case)...our flight is at 355...we can definitely make it to the airport, but probably not through security. I am going to go the airport separately and go through security with our bags so he can just be dropped off and go through security with no bags to hopefully speed things up. But if we miss the flight and we are at least in the airport, the airlines will let us go on the next available flight...never had any experience with that. One can always hope. If anyone has any other ideas, I am open to anything at this point.

Thank you for everyone's support.

natc143 May 21st, 2007 07:20 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Thats awful =(

Marsh May 21st, 2007 07:21 AM

NeoPatrick, the # of folks getting passports this year will need to have them renewed in 10 years. So, if they all decide to do it early next time, it seems that there would be another bottleneck. My passport is good until 2014, so maybe I will miss that ordeal.

cruiseluv May 21st, 2007 07:25 AM

texgirl,

Keep the hope! Do they have a later flight today?

Micheline May 21st, 2007 07:39 AM

I'm really hoping it all works out for you and your husband.

Sue_xx_yy May 21st, 2007 08:11 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about all the stress this has caused you, texgirl. Please do post back and let us know how it went.

The situation is outrageous. In effect, the 'expedited' rate has, for all intents and purposes, become the standard charge for processing a passport.

bettyk May 21st, 2007 08:17 AM

Marsh, many people only travel out of the country occasionally or maybe only once or twice in their lifetime. So, many will let their passports lapse without ever getting them renewed.

Of course, to counter that number, there will always be new travelers who will be getting passports for the first time...

I think it is wise to always allow at least 6-8 months when getting a new passport or renewing a current one.