Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Supposed to leave for the UK Wednesday -- should I be reconsidering this trip?

Oct 7th, 2001, 11:05 AM
xxx

Hello, everyone.
Much to my dismay, I see they have started targeting bombing in Afghanistan.

I'm tenatively planning to fly to the UK Wednesday night. Since Britain is such a strong supporter, is this increasing the odds that the UK might be at a higher risk (actually, I'm sure worldwide we're all at relative equal risk) for retaliation?

Oct 7th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Laura

I would not travel overseas for a while now that the war has begun.

Oct 7th, 2001, 02:33 PM
linda

I am not sure if I am not taking the world situation as seriously as I should (as far as travel safety is concerned) or if some others are more afraid than they need to be, but I would definately go. That's my vote.

linda

Oct 7th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Judy

XXX: That is the one country I would definitely visit. In fact, I will make an effort to visit the UK again, when prices start to drop.
Great Britain and its people are our stongest ally....and I am very grateful for their support.
I say go, BUT if you will be too nervous maybe reschedule if possible.
Judy

Oct 7th, 2001, 02:56 PM
John

Why would one feel 'safer' in one place as opposed to another? (Given one is not in a way, way, out-of-the-way, place)

Oct 7th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Maira

How does your family feels like? You should be asking them. The State Dept warns and advises to keep a low profile and not move around too much. Is that going to damp your vacation plans? If yes, then don't go.

Oct 7th, 2001, 04:14 PM
cdf

Hello, we also were on our way to Italy this month.I think todays news makes it a little too scarey to go somewhere that I don't speak the language and have to- not move around much (that is tough when being a tourist)-keep a low profile (cannot speak in American English?)-and keep in touch with the Embassy-(who is also a target)-so my advice(which I love to give is how comfortable would you be in a country/city that is not home at a time like this? Also-I really do not think that Britain is anymore of a target now than they were before...it seems that all the rhetoric is against America and Americans, and it would be easier to keep a low profile in an English speaking country, no? Best wishes whatever you decide~

Oct 7th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Jill

I for one would certainly not cancel my trip plans.

For what it's worth, "wars" in the last 50 years have had little if any effect on travel to Europe, or most often to anywhere for that matter. That includes Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon, Arab/Israeli, Kashmir, Desert Storm, Somalia, Serbia, Bosnia ... sorry to not be totally inclusive.

One might wish to be more worried about going out in a car in traffic. There are nearly 40,000 traffic deaths each year, in the US alone. That's a scary number! And far, far greater than terrorism has accounted for in the past 20 years.

Stay off American highways. Visit Europe!

Oct 7th, 2001, 04:38 PM
dan woodlief

Well, we made our decision a definite one yesterday. We are leaving for Venice next week flying through London. In fact, we switched from Alitalia to British Air for the final leg due to Alitalia cancellations that made British Air more convenient. I think it may be a little riskier on the ground since today's events, but I don't expect higher risk in the air. I expect tighter security and hope I am right.

Oct 7th, 2001, 06:47 PM
Jody

No one can make this decision for you, only you know your cirumstances. You willhave to weigh all the elements of your life, do you have young childen, aged parents, job responsibilities that cannot be avoided, your own comfort level.

We have looked at all these things and leave a week from Tuesday for france , Belgium and London. I don't feel any safer here at home than I will feel in these other places. Nor do I feel more afraid, so we are going.

we will not be careless or unvigilant when we are away but neither are we careless or unvigilant at home. I cannot live my life in fear of what may be or what may happen, I can only do as I do!But what you do is your decision and you are the one who must feel comfortable. We have lived a long time and gone thru many trials and problems and this is just one more in the scheme of things. It may be trite but I always remember the wordsof F D Roosevelt
"

we have nothing to fear but fear itself"

Oct 7th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Miriam

To Dan,

I`m glad you`ve decided to go. I`ve been reading about your decision process over a couple of weeks and always thought that it would be good to keep your original plans. I`ll be in Venice in November (without flight) to meet Monica, Dawn and some other people and hope that they`ll stick to their plans.

Enjoy

Miriam

Oct 7th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Jody

Should have added it also helps to have the resources available to you to stay an extra week or so without having to sleep in the airport! Someone to take care of your home, bills, whatever

Oct 7th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Flipper

Yes, Our new friend, Tony Blair, may be making things a tad dicier for the UK, but a lot depends on which cells outside of the Middle East were still functioning as of this morning and where they are and what resources they have.

Here's what's going to happen:

Things will be scary for a little while. There will be a few demonstrations and some bombing of American embassies.

But for a while things in the US and Europe will seem pretty much as usual. Then there will be an attack somewhere and we will all cower and some people will die and some people will be stranded -- might be US, might be Europe; might be in 2 weeks; might be in 2 months.

So dump out your jar of pennies and see how many come up heads and how many tails. Then see which have darkened and which are still shiny. Then pick one, dump it back in the jar with the others, dump them all out again, and see if you can find it.

It's all a matter of playing the odds. You might get caught here. You might get caught there. You will probably not get caught at all, but a few will.

Question: how much would you enjoy the trip? And are there people you'd be separated from that you'd rather stay with in scary times (or who need you to stay close to them)?

Oct 7th, 2001, 08:21 PM
Sorry

Don't mean to be pessamistic, but what if this goes on for years and years? Are you going to call off any travel in the future? I say go now, you never can predict what might happen next week/month/year. Look at every opportunity as though it might be your last. Do you want to die, never having taken that trip you have longed for all your life?

Oct 8th, 2001, 12:29 AM
Sceptknik

"Our new friend, Tony Blair, may be making things a tad dicier for the UK..."

Um, how so? Whatever's going to happen in the next few months is stuff that's already been in place for many more months. Waiting to happen, if you will. It's poss, I guess, that the Great String Pullers will choose to hit the UK instead of somewhere else because Blair gets their goat, but how can we possibly know that? You think the UK would be safer if Tony cowered under his blanket & sucked his thumb? Maybe, but it's not something I'd like to see.

Oct 8th, 2001, 01:12 AM
chris

Because I am an American who is already "over here" in Switzerland (as an ex-pat) I really don't see why people would be completely canceling their trips to Europe. My in-laws are visiting this weekend from England and they say the same thing. Life is quite normal here, there is a heightened sense of security. I think you have just as much possibility of being attacked in Europe as in the US. IF you are that concerned then just simply change your plans and stay away from major tourist destinations and visit more off the beaten track. I'm still leaving in 2 weeks for Kenya.

Oct 8th, 2001, 01:30 AM
david west

You'd be very welcome over here, and now is probably the best time to come from a purely selfish perspective. The reduction in the number of tourists means that you will have some of the atttractions to yourself.

As to the security implications; we may well be the next target, but we have become pretty good at counter terrorism over the years, we've had to. My guess is that any target that OBL or his associates might wish to attack would be in keeping with his American attacks eg Governement and economic targets.

All I can tell you is that I work in a government building in Central London and we're not that jittery. In fact our "alert state" is lower than during some of the Irish terrorist attacks.

There are areas of the country with a high proprtion of Muslim people, of whom a small minority may be anti-American. However as a tourist these are not areas you would be likely to go.

If I can advise specifically please email as above.

David

Oct 8th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Erin

My vote...go on the trip. Are we really safe ANYWHERE? Realistically, staying home is no safer than taking the trip to the UK. If you feel uncomfortable, just avoid some of the more popular tourist destinations. Maybe save the Changing of the Guard for the next trip and instead visit some of the lesser known sites. Either way, good luck with your decision.

Oct 8th, 2001, 08:10 AM
sjean

xxx, only you can weigh the issues and decide what's best for you. Going is right for some people; staying here is right for others. I think visiting the UK is probably about as safe as staying here in the U.S.A. That being said, however, if I had a trip booked this week or next, I would probably cancel. I have 3 children and do not want to leave them right now. I may feel differently in a month or six months. But right now, for me, I want to be home with my family. It just makes me feel better to be with them while all that is happening is new.
Best of luck to you and making your decision.