Supermarket in or near Menaggio?

Apr 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Supermarket in or near Menaggio?

We have booked an apartment in Menaggio for 2 weeks in June so are self catering. While we will certainly be eating out most of the time we will also need to buy some groceries. Does anyone know of any supermarkets in or around Menaggio?. Also our apartment is slightly outside the main town so if we just want to take the boats around the lake is there parking at the ferry area as we are not sure how long a walk we would have to get to the ferry terminal
thank you
Apr 14th, 2008, 08:23 AM

As you may know, Menaggio is the largest (area-wise) of the three mid-lake towns (Varenna-Esino and Bellagio).

There was, as I recall, some possible parking at the ferry dock and there was also some available on the street near the ferry dock.

As to the supermarket..there certainly MUST BE at least one given that town's size although all I saw were smaller places..but on my last visit I more or less confined myself to the "town square" area and immediate environs.

Am sure others here will have more specifics for you.
Apr 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply, I know of 2 supermarket chains in Italy the coop and conad but on looking at their sites they are all in Italian (obviously) and my slight knowledge of the language isnt much help. I think we may have to drive to Como to find somewhere. I should imagine there will be small grocery shops in the town where we can buy basics.
Apr 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Yes, there are certainly places in town...as i said, this is the LARGEST town so it makes sense that if any of them were to have a large store, Menaggio might be it.
Apr 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM

of COURSE there will be a supermarket in Menaggio - I have not been there in years, so don't have specifics...but people DO have to buiuy their groseries somewhere Menaggio is fairly large - if I remeber correctly, isn't there a soccer stadium there and I thought I remembered a shopping "mall"-type place witha large grocery (?) Im sure someone else will chime in...but...if not, you should email or cll the person you are renting the apartment from I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you where to get groceries, park, etc. (!) usually, homeowners put together a litle "guide" book to tell you all these things anyway...just ask them if they could email it in advance or just let you know so you can plan.
Apr 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM

Last summer, there was a Pelican supermarket in Menaggio. I imagine that it is still there. Had off-street parking for several dozen cars. Propably half the SF of what you are used to but typical for Europe.