Superfares.biz. Anyone heard of it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this response to a question on the Airlines forum and thought I'd post it here because this forum moves a lot faster. I'd sure appreciate a response if you've used this site and would recommend it.

Just checked the site for my late April-early May trip from SF to Rome. The least expensive option is on Delta on a flight that connects through Cincinnati (Northern KY). Arrivals, departures, and layover times look fine. The price is $547.82 (INCLUDING TAXES), which is about $250 less than anything else I've found after searching extensively for weeks. Flights on other carriers such as BA, USAirways and others are offered as well in the same general price range. The site has no homepage, address or telephone number. Maybe there's contact info available after the flight is booked, but I can't go any further without giving my CC number. Does anyone out there know anything about this site? I've never heard of it until I saw this post, so I'm reluctant to go ahead with the booking until I know more.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Betsy, I saw your question on the Airline forum and did not answer because I have never heard of Superfares.biz. Then saw your post here.

Please do not give out any information to a website that does NOT give you the information you should be seeing. A website that does not give out a homepage, a address a phone number in my opinion is like having some stranger walk up to you on a street corner and tell you "hey if you give me your name, address, credit card number, the expiration no. etc. I can get you a really cheap flight".

Please do not this, and I am sure you will not since you have posted on both the Airlines and the Europe Board.

Why not call Delta and ask them about this website. You might get some interesting feedback. And if it is a phoney site, they would be interested I am sure.

By the way, Cincinnati in NOT in Northern KY. Does that tell you anything?

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Cincinnati Airport IS in Northern Kentucky.

But I agree. Give my credit card information to a site without any contact information showing? I don't think so!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

On further exploration of the site, I found this info:
All material herein 1998 - 2004 SPrice Limited , all rights reserved.
SuperFares.BIZ and Submit Your Price are registered service marks of SPrice Limited

Also there is an 800 telephone number that I missed the first time around.

Love Italy, I'm not at all sure that this is NOT a reputable site. I posted the question in the hope that someone who has booked through the site with satisfaction would relate his/her experience. I do think the Cincinnati airport is in Northern Kentucky.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:51 PM

By the way, I just went to www.superfares.biz
At the bottom is a link to contact them with 800 number to call with any questions.
Click where it says "contact".
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

I Googled SPrice limited and was directed to a site with the same page format as Superfares, but the URL was for busysky.net.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

There are two toll-free numbers. The first rings busy after several attempts. I dialed the second one and a recording said, "Thank you for calling. Good-bye."

Hoping that some satisfied customers will post.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Well oooops, I was thinking (obviously )of Cincinnati OH Patrick.
Well Betsy, hopefully someone on Fodors will have the info you need. I sure wouldn't give personal info out unless I knew for sure that it was legitimate.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:33 PM

I just got on the site too, and also called Delta. Delta had never heard of the site, but they said that they do not know about a lot of the internet sites offering airfare. They could not offer me a comparable price. Anyone have any information?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM

LoveItaly, I'm sending you a US atlas, LOL. Cincinnati is in Ohio, right on the Ohio River. If you go across the bridge you are in Kentucky and the Kentucky part of Cincinnati is called Covington (plus other suburbs). The airport for Cincinnati, Ohio happens to be on the Kentucky side of the river.

Very suspicious, this site. Yes, I tried those two numbers also and got the same response. I emailed them and asked how to access an operator, since they say their operators are available 24 hours a day, but that it is NOT possible to book by phone. Sounds very suspicious to me. And have you ever entered the name of any other discount booking service on Google and come up totally blank? When did this business start? Today?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Good info, Tracy. You were smart to ask Delta if they could meet the Superfares price.

Don't worry, LoveItaly, I wouldn't think of giving them a CC number until I'm sure the site is legit.

Looks like their website has been up since 1998, Patrick.

I posted a question about the site on Eurotrip's Cheap Flights forum, and will keep you informed if there are favorable replies to my post.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:17 PM

Betsy, I will be interested in the outcome of this. A mystery for sure!

Patrick dear, actually I could use a new atlas :'(

And as it is obvious I have never been to either Ohio or Kentucky. I was just trying to be helpful.

BTW, how are things going in your life? You have been in my thoughts.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Betsy-is there some other part to this address that I'm missing? It comes up "no website configured to that address" when I try it!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:57 AM

I have posted a reply to Betsy in her post in the Airline forum, but since there are more responses here, I'll restate what I said there.

I have never heard of this website, and have not used it. So, it may be a legitimate business, maybe not. But I have experience with operators of similar type. They set up a website that looks to be interactive, and give you excellent airfares when you search for a flight.

However, after you put in your credit card number and try to book, they'll send you a message that their representatives are now contacting their source - i.e. a consolidator - for "availability". And chances are if their stated prices are significantly lower than what you can find on Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc, then those fares will not be available.

Notice that they have a "live chat" help line. That's what they'll use to contact you, and hold you up by the computer for many minutes while they try to get a fare from their source; and finally they ask if you can spend more on a different fare when they can't get that original fare.

No, they won't go steal your credit card number, but you must ask yourself if that's worth the trouble, as chances are those fares are not available.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:59 AM

Spygirl--The site is:

www.superfares.biz
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:39 AM

I got it this morning, Tracy, thanks, I don't know what the problem was yesterday.

Let me say that rkkwan is RIGHT ON with his perspective on this site-I tried some sample fares to Europe, they were all $200 below the going fare, and I thought-(before reading rkkwan) they're going to jack the fare when I put in my credit card-because they'll say no availability, and then want me to book at the going fare.

I've had that happen on hotel search engines, (most recently a few weeks ago with a fairly well known res system that specializes in Asia) and other air fare search engines a number of times, and it's a bit frustrating-you think you've got this great deal, and then, no availability.

And it isn't a question of getting burned-it's not a scam to get your credit card number, or anything like that-you'll invariably get your ticket and reservation- it's just a standard "bait and switch" tactic-we lure you in with our seeming low fares, and then, when it's time to put your credit card to the fare-that low fare is suddenly unavailable. Live and learn.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Anyone else have any information? I need airfare to Rome at the end of May, and prices are still very high. Should I wait? I know that noone knows for sure, but do you think airfare will go down? Rex...?

Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM

OK, last night after failing to get either of their two phone numbers to work, I entered a message on their live chat, then later entered it as a sent email. I said I was ready to book an airfare, but I had a couple of specific questions to ask. Since they say they have 24 hour a day live operators, I asked how I could contact one as I couldn't get the phone numbers to work. Meanwhile I specifically asked what the fare was for -- a made up date and destination. That was now about 22 hours ago. Neither the live chat nor the email have been answered.

THIS SITE IS A SCAM!!!! I WOULDN'T TOUCH IT.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:01 PM

hmmm. And guess what? Now I can't access the site at all. Closed down already? Can anyone else still get it?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

What a wild goose chase this was. I guess all the employees have left the building, as I can't access the site either. Patrick, I tried to phone again this morning and still got a busy signal on one line and that very strange "Thank you for calling. Good-bye" message at the other number. I guess it it really was too good to be true....

Tracy, Don moderator of the Eurotrip airline board thinks fares for late April through May from the West Coast to Italy should be in the $550 + tax range. I'm going to wait a bit to book while watching daily. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -