Reload this Page >

Super-market/grocery store near Pantheon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:13 PM
deepa

Headed for Rome today and my husband has just convinced me to leave behind most of the diapers for my one year old. That means that we have to immediately buy those and other provisions like milk etc. on reaching Rome. We are staying at the Santa Chiara. Anyone know of any supermarket type place close by? Thanks

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:31 PM
micia

Hi, <BR> <BR>You won't need a supermarket but a pharmasy. Baby supplies are found at the drug stores (diapers, food, wipes, soap, etc). <BR>As for milk, you will be able to get it in Rome at any bar. There are also little stores around called alimentari, you will find milk and some food items. <BR>Don't worry , you will find all these places all over, there are many, ask you hotel for the closest, there are always a few in every neighborhood. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:43 AM
Janda

Why did you bring a baby on vacation? They will never remember it. You will not have a romantic time in the eternal city. Leave the baby at home with a relative !!! I'm sure the baby would have been alot happier at home instead of being dragged around Italy, crying I am sure. I have seen this so many times when I travel.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:48 AM
Diane B.

Your best bet would be to talk to the concierge at your hotel. They are knowledgeable about pharmacies as well as local markets that would carry the supplies you need. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your time in Rome. It is quite beautiful. Whether or not your child will remember the trip, if having him or her along makes it better for you both, more power to you! <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:43 AM
Gerry

Yes there is a small supermarket a few blocks from you near the Torre Argentina(on a narrow street). We shopped there for a picknic lunch. I can't remember exactly where but I'm sure your hotel can tell you. <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Marj

Deepa, I do remember a small deli-type store and a pharmacy very nearby the hotel. I think, as already mentioned, the pharmacy is the place for baby supplies, not the grocery. I did not notice any supermarkets at all. Most stores tend to be very small. You may want to email the hotel and ask them in advance. Their email is [email protected]. <BR> <BR>Janda, not everyone has someeone they can leave their child with while they are away. The only way they can take a vacation is to bring along the children. Grant it a toddler will not remember a trip to rome, but being with parents, all day for a week is a treat in itself for any child. We don't travel often but I would never even consider travelling without my kids while they are young. And as far as a romantic time, I think un-interupted quality time with my family is time very well spent and satisfying.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:54 AM
Marj

Deepa, one more thing to mention if you aren't already aware, Rome is not the most stroller friendly place. Sidewalks are narrow and streets are cobblestone. I would imagine a fairly sturdy stroller would be managable. <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:12 PM
Gerry

I found my receipt(what a collector). Address is Via Monte della Farina 51. One block from Torre Argentina; about 4-5 blocks from your hotel. This is definitely a supermarket(by Rome standards). It has a deli/butcher shop, bakery, groceries, household items, frozen foods, dheck out lines etc. I did not notice diapers but wasn't looking for them. <BR>We bought bread, cheese, meat and candy there.