Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sunset view from hotels in Oia, Santorini...are they being honest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 01:39 PM
JW

I'm about to book a room at a hotel in Oia (either Esperas, Atlantis...or Perivolas - if I can find the extra cash!). <BR> <BR>These hotels all claim that they have a spectacular view of Oia's famous sunset from their rooms' private terraces/balconies - not just their pool terrace. Have those of you that have stayed in these hotels or the general area, found this to be true? <BR> <BR>Some responses to a previous posting have made me a skeptic. Help!

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Joyce

Hello! I'm wondering the same thing myself, actually. I've heard sunset views from the guest rooms at hotels in Imerovigli are spectacular. And I've heard this about some hotels in Oia as well (specifically Perivolas), but I'm just not sure what to believe.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 04:24 PM
Martha

I stayed in Fira at the Loucas Hotel this past June, but walked to Oia for a day. Any hotel on the caldera in Fira should have a good view of sunsets (the Loucas certainly does). The town of Oia is at a little different angle, so it probably depends on the individual hotel. Any on the caldera edge should have a great view of the volcano and water, and a view of the sunsets off to the right (if you're looking at the volcano). I flew back to the states with a honeymooning couple who stayed at the Atlantis villas in Oia and said they were great. <BR>Martha <BR>

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 03:17 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Any location on the Caldera in Oia will <BR>be fabulous. We did the Esperas for <BR>3 nites and I still have goose bumps. <BR>The whole island comes to the fort at <BR>Oia for the sunsets--go for it.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 10:09 AM
Robin

I may be one of those who made you nervous! I think the discrepancy lies with whether you really want to see the ACTUAL SUN drop below the horizon. Many hotels simply don't face the right direction for this. On the other hand, as it does anywhere, the sky lights up and the colors are wonderful, and sitting on your terrace is a fabulous experience. The sunsets in Oia are famous, and many people flock to the parts of town where you can see best, but my friends and I never felt compelled to do so, since the relaxing and quiet atmosphere at home was so nice! I hope this helps to clarify. <BR> <BR>One other point that I didn't think of before. The position of the sun when it sets varies with the seasons, so my experience in September may be quite different from what happens in May, for example. If this is very important to you, you can probably get more official data somewhere!

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 11:00 AM
steven Bird

Sunset view from Esperas or Fanari Villas in are the best site in the whole island. You do see the sun disappear. Its magical!

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Peter

JW, <BR> <BR>Was at Santorini last week (honeymoon). The sunsets at Fira, Oia, Imerovigli are equally impressive. Trust me. I stayed in Oia, which most will agree is the most romantic part of Santorini. If you want a spectacular hotel, try Katikies. (It is a small hotel with two incredible pools overlooking the caldera). I watched the sunset on my private deck overlooking the caldera, while sitting champagne. For a perfect, unobstructed view, try the fort at the end of Oia - about a 5 minute walk away. Join the crowd and enjoy the sight!!!!

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 05:45 PM
Patrick

OK, Peter, here is a friendly but helpful little hint. Since this was your honeymoon, you'd better start saying things like "from OUR private deck", not "from MY private deck." Otherwise the honeymoon may be over sooner than you think.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 11:52 AM
eric & kimberley

Hello, <BR> <BR>We stayed in Esperas in early June of this year. Oia is the best place to see the sun set on the entire island. In fact, before sunset people migrate to Oia to vie for the best spot to see the sunset. We had an incredible time at Esperas. It was a very beautiful hotel and the views are breathtaking. <BR> <BR>If you have any questions please email us directly. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 01:04 PM
Patrick

Could somebody explain that last one to me? A lot of people told us that the sunsets were best from Oia so we joined the mobs there one evening --quite crowded and no parking available in the little lots. There were four or five major tour busses dumping lots of people out and taking up most of the parking. The sunset was pretty, but the sun simply set out over the open sea, with no land in sight. From our balcony in Fira the other evenings, the sun also set over open sea, but between the point of the island that is Oia and the outer islands, causing them to turn colors and then black against the brilliant colors of the sea and the sky. We thought it was a lot more spectacular that way than from the end of the island. Of course, I suppose it depends upon the time of the year, but in June the sun still sets over open sea between those points, not behind an island, and it couldn't have been more spectacular than it was from Fira.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 08:11 PM
Jim

Like Patrick, we stayed in Fira and I tend to agree with him. <BR>Don't let your choice of towns be dictated by advertiser's sunset claims. <BR> <BR>Our balcony overlooking the Caldera hosted a week of magnificent sunsets. Suprisingly, these magnificent displays paled in comparison to the full moon, with assistance of many a whitewashed wall, illuminating the wee hours of the morning. The nights were truly enchanting as we were wakened and drawn back out the balcony doors by the bright moonlight at 3 or 4 AM nearly ever night. <BR>Toasting a full moon going over the horizon in the wee hours did wonders for our vacation........The sunsets were merely nice. <BR>If you have the flexibility, I suggest adjusting your trip accordingly. <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 08:52 PM
Mary

My husband and I stayed in Oia in August in the Oia Mare Villas. This wonderful hotel literally sits on the side of the caldera below the "fort" and while we sat on our private veranda (or the pool one evening) we marveled at the people above that came from other parts of the island to share "our sunset." <BR> <BR>The Oia Mare will give you a work-out as you walk up the steps to the shops/restaurants, but it was WELL worth it. The donkeys that bring you from the sea port below stop right at its entry, which waas VERY convenient for us! <BR> <BR>Obviously, I can't say enough about the Oia Mare -- it was reasonable, considering August was high season and we actually got several postcards with our hotel featured with the sunset!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 01:52 PM
Susan

I'm with Patrick on this one. We didn't stay in Oia - we were near Akrotiri, but we did drive to Oia with the idea of having dinner and seeing the sunset one evening (not in that order). It was a real zoo. So many people it was almost unpleasant. Another evening we drove up to the monastery - got a fabulous view of the sunset with no people. <BR> <BR>Although I found Santorini visually very different from anywhere else I've been and I admit it is beautiful, it wasn't my favourite destination. I guess I had high expectations and while I wouldn't go so far as to say I was disappointed, I thought 4 days were plenty. It didn't feel very Greek to me. <BR> <BR>Mind you, I can't understand the whole preoccupation with sunsets! After Santorini, we went to Naxos where we saw wonderful sunsets. But we also spent an afternoon wandering around the old part of the port town looking for the Venetian homes and their crests. That was far more interesting and I loved it. The sunset is only a few minutes. <BR>

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 02:12 PM
Thyra

JW, having returned from Greece yesterday, I can attest that the sunsets are incredible from Santorini. My husband and myself also stayed in Fira, (I believe the same hotel as Patrick) and there could not have been a more private, lovely place to watch the sun go down. On our last night, someone was playing an instrumental rendition of Amazing Grace that echoed through the Caldera and seemed utterly apropos. Although we didn't venture to Oia (we like to be near town) my friend who is a travel agent recommenede the Perivolas hotel to me personally, (she spent 4 nights there) and she could not rave more about the sunsets and the balconies and how lovely it was. We would have stayed there had it been in our budget, but we really enjoyed the Loucas hotel that was only about $70.0 per night as opposed to Perivolas that was over $200.0 (but I hear for quiet romance Oia is your best bet.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 04:15 PM
MARIA

I AM FROM GREECE AND I'VE BEEN TO SANTORINI.I HAVEN'T STAYED IN THE HOTELS YOU ARE MENTIONING BUT I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT I BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE TRUE BECAUSE IN OIA YOU CAN SEE THE BEST VIEW. BESIDES FROM OIA YOU CAN SEE THE BEST SUNSET IN ALL EUROPE.HAVE FUN!!!!