Sunderland Family History in London

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunderland Family History in London

Hi there,

We are travelling to London this Fall! We have Ancestors with the Sunderland and Spencer names. Are there any interesting places to see that would have a relationship to the Sunderland family? We found the Spencer House and will visit there. Any ideas would be very appreciated. THANKS!

Sunny
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't help much except - there is a Sunderland Terrace between the Bayswater and Royal Oak tube stations near Westbourne Grove, It isn't far from Kensington Gardens/Palace and Portobello Rd Market so you could see it in connection w/ a visit to one of those sites.

The town of Sunderland is way up in northeast England near Newcastle.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM

There are several Sunderlands in the UK - Northumberland, Cumbria, Lancashire, Kent & the Scottish Borders.

The surname "Sunderland" however is from Yorkshire
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information!
I found the printed family history.
The book should arrive next week? I will look for more specific ideas. My husbands birthday is around the time we visit. I am trying to find a nice surprise for him. Althorp would be to far for us to travel to. We are in London only 3 days.
The Royal Rebels: The Sunderlands in America, by Howard R. Houser, 1992
The Sunderlands, whose ancestors include Winston Churchill, the Princess of Wales (Diane Spencer), and George Washington, settled in Washington Township, in Ohio, around 1800.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you know that you're descendants of THE Sunderland family? Having the same name is no guarantee. Anyone having done any extensive genealogical research soon becomes aware things are not always as they seem. Granted the 2 names have more letters than Smith, but they're not uncommon names, and not necessarily descended from the same ancient person.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM

tomboy...I was thinking exactly the same thing, but then I thought the OP probably realises this and isn't taking it too seriously, it just gives a focus for a bit of fun during the trip? Unless they really do go around telling everyone 'oh yes we are related to....'
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM

Sunderland is a socking great big town in the North East of England. It's where the Mackems live. Under no circumstances go there. Even by Northern standards it's bloody grim.

There's a greasy spoon in East Dulwich that I used to use called the Sunderland cafe. Again - not really worth a trip....

You might be able to catch Sunderland FC playing in London if you come at the right time....