Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sunday tea in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sunday-tea-in-london-45579/)

Ben Haines Jun 2nd, 1999 11:35 AM

Sunday tea in London

I have found a place for Sunday afternoon tea that is pleasant and old- fashioned. <BR> <BR>St Anne's Church on Kew Green is a Georgian building with Victorian tombstones, and has the grave of the painter Gainsborough. From now to mid September every Sunday and Bank Holiday they offer tea both indoors and at tables among the gravestones. The area by the church is Kew Green, with many good Regency houses and three pubs lined up around it. Middle aged middle class parishioners serve proper tea, with scones and home made cakes (they also sell home made marmalade) from 1.30 to 5, and there's a free recital of music in church from 3.30 to 4.15. They can also take on parties on weekdays if yuou pre-book, John Holt on 0171 876 2635, or Dorothy Hayman on 0181 878 0267. <BR> <BR>The District Line runs to Kew Gardens, and from there it's 15 minutes walk towards the river to reach the church. Or if you're in Waterloo, trains leave the station at ten minutes past each hour for Kew Bridge: the green is over the river. <BR> <BR>This tea would combine well with a visit by tube and bus to Sion House, or even to Ham House, which is over the Thames via a ferry boat that takes pedestrians and bicycles only. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Tammy Jun 2nd, 1999 12:04 PM

I never made it to Kew Gardens, but hopefully I will be able to visit London again in the not so distant future. I am definitely going to keep this on file. One of the things I enjoyed most of all while in England was afternoon tea! Thanks for the recommendation.

Bridget Jun 2nd, 1999 12:12 PM

Thanks for the great tip, Ben! We are staying in Richmond, which I think is somewhat close to the Kew Gardens, so St. Anne's would be perfect!!! How far in advance would you recommend us making reservations? Sincerely, Bridget Wunder

Ben Haines Jun 4th, 1999 02:08 PM

<BR> <BR>Dear Ms Wunder, <BR> <BR>Sorry to have misled ou. On weekdays they take onlky parties, and they do take reservations for those. But the odd half dozen visitors on a Sunday are no problem, and need not prebook. Indeed, I'd advise against it. You want to go when the weather's good. Try as we may, we cannot promise that in London. <BR> <BR>There's a reasonable teashop and cafe to be found if you turn left when you leave Richmond station. May I also recommend a bus a mile to Ham House, and a trip over the river there on the foot passenger ferry ? And of course the two theatres. Pleasant place, Richmond. <BR> <BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Ben Haines Jun 4th, 1999 02:09 PM

<BR> <BR>Dear Ms Wunder, <BR> <BR>Sorry to have misled ou. On weekdays they take onlky parties, and they do take reservations for those. But the odd half dozen visitors on a Sunday are no problem, and need not prebook. Indeed, I'd advise against it. You want to go when the weather's good. Try as we may, we cannot promise that in London. <BR> <BR>There's a reasonable teashop and cafe to be found if you turn left when you leave Richmond station. May I also recommend a bus a mile to Ham House, and a trip over the river there on the foot passenger ferry ? And of course the two theatres. Pleasant place, Richmond. <BR> <BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines