sunday restaurants in montparnasse

Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

sunday restaurants in montparnasse

what restaurants are open on Sunday in Montparnasse-French or Italian, Thank you
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:18 AM

The big historic brasserie La Coupole is open Sundays.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:53 AM
tod

How about one of the most famous?
Here's the link - enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXxCFESp5uo
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:49 AM

You might like Montparnasse 1900 with its period decor and stained glass ceiling.

For Italian food, La Mamma is reliable.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM

Sunday is closing day for shops, not restaurants. A few restaurants may be closed for whatever reason but most will be open. I was just riding my bike through that neighborhood today (Sunday) and I couldn't go more than a few blocks without seeing an open restaurant. You should be aware that operating hours of most restaurants are from 12:00 to 2:00 for lunch and from 7:00 or 7:30 to anytime between 9:30 and 11:00.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM

I think quite a few of the smaller restaurants in Montparnasse are closed on Sundays, as in a lot of other parts of Paris, at least it is noticeable if there is some smaller place you have in mind. I know because I always stay in that area when in Paris. There are tons of restaurants in Montparnasse so finding one open every few blocks isn't saying much and would mean most are closed. I wouldn't go that far as to say you can only find one open every few blocks, though.

Depends what you want, of course the big brasseries and cafes are open (Rotonde, Coupole, le Dome, etc.). Chez Clement is open and the Relais de l'Entrecote (near the Coupole and Vavin metro), depends how fancy or expensive you want. It's kind of hard to suggest something without any idea of the price level you want. All the ones I named are French.

I think Chez Fernand is closed, for example (just east of bd Raspail), although it's a good place. I think Le Cameleon on rue de Chevreuse is closed also. Both those are good places, otherwise. SO is Chez Marcel on rue Stanislas, but it's closed Sundays, also. I'm just naming some I know are closed so you won't go there, but if you don't care where you eat, you could always find something open on bd Montparnasse or bd Quinet near the metro stop (or between it and the train station) as there are lots of restaurants along both. There are quite a few in-between raspail and bd St Michel, along bd Montparnasse, also (although some of them are closed, like Chez Fernand)).

There are quite a few cheaper Italian restaurants in that area, such as around the corner of Raspail and Montparnasse. Bistro Romain is a chain and next to the movie theater, and I imagine it is open. It's not as bad as you might think. I think one of the best Italian in that area is L'Auberge de Venise on rue Delambre but it's not cheap. There is one on bd Raspail just north of bd Montparnasse (Villa Borghese) which is nothing great.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM

A lot of places with chef/owners close on Sundays. Some close on Saturdays as well. And the month of August. And a couple of weeks in February or at the New Year or both.

Maybe that's why Paris can support so many restaurants. They are all covering for each other!
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM

I really liked Montparnasse 1900. Beautiful decor and decent food which wasn't too expensive. They had a pre fixe menu which included aperatif, entree, main course of salmon or steak, cheese and dessert - all for around 35 euros, I believe. Oh, yes, it also included a demi-bouteille of wine per person! I would definitely go there again. I usually stay in Montparnasse and really like the area.