Sunday mass in London.

Mar 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Sunday mass in London.

For music, architecture, general old style beauty.

We'll be staying between Regent's Park and the British Museum that day. St. Ethelreda's? I know they had plainchant at one time.
Mar 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Best is probably Brompton Oratory (South Kensington tube). Their 11 am Mass is sung in Latin (New Order). 9 am Latin Mass is said acc to 1962 Missal (pre-Vatican II).
Westminster Cathedral Solemn Mass is at 10.30 am (usually in English).
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Do you arrive in Paris on a Wed or Fri?

If so, doing the Louvre any kind of justice after hitting town at 2:30 might be possible, because it's open late.

If not, I suppose a person could race past the Winged Victory of Samothrace, glimpse the Mona Lisa, get herded out at 6 PM closing time, and feel that she had done the Louvre. Better than not glimpsing those things.
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

funny...the above is wrong thread entirely. sorry. what I get for randomly hitting keys, I guess.

Thanks, Alec!
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM

stokebailey -- I think you meant to post your second entry on a different thread . . . . .
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM

we were posting at the same time . . . . .
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM

We attended a service at St. Paul's. Beautiful building.
Mar 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM

St Paul's isn't Catholic of course. We went to Westminster Cathedral for solemn mass and I recommend it, if it is a Catholic service that you want.
Mar 24th, 2009, 10:32 PM

If by Mass, you mean RC:

St Ethelreda's is the only medieval church in London where Mass is celebrated, and the 1100 Sunday Mass is sung in Latin - sometimes using plainsong, sometimes using simplified arrangements of Byrd, Lassus etc.

Apart from Westminster Cathedral and Brompton Oratory, these 19th century Pugin or Gothic Revival churches sing the main Mass in Latin and have a decent choir:
- St James, Spanish Place
- St George's Cathedral, Southwark.
- the Immaculate Conception, Farm St

If by Mass you mean a Christian service that looks, smells and sounds like an RC Mass, and is celebrated more or less in the same rite as a Mass, by men or women wearing a chasuble etc, you're spolit for choice. But only Westminster Abbey and St Bartholemew's have a proper sung Sunday Communion, a pre-Great Fire building and a serious choir.

The Times seems to have dropped its useful online weekly guide to each Sunday's music. But, though the business model of newspapers has changed in the past year, the music in London's churches hasn't. Use a recentish listing (eg http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3901765.ece) as an indication of what's being sung where
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, travelgirl. We hope to attend evensong at St.Paul's or Westminster Abbey.

I did mean Catholic, aussiefive. Thanks. Should have specified.

Thanks, flanner. I hope church music continues to change more slowly than business models. (Except in the US, where RC music should change immediately in my opinion.) Excellent information.
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

janis, you helped us a lot on our last trip to London a few years ago. Really appreciate it.
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:48 AM

For commentary on Christian churches worldwide, you may like the Ship of Fools website at http://ship.saintsimeon.co.uk. In particular, look at the "Mystery Worshipper" section.
Mar 25th, 2009, 06:10 AM

FWITW:

My experience of US Catholic music is that it's nowhere nearly as awful as it is practically everywhere in Italy.

Ship of Fools is New Age waffly in its obsession with cuddly-feely nonsense like being greeted and the coffee afterwards. It consistently whinges about the eccentric tendency of England's great church music centres in London, Oxford and Liverpool to concentrate on the liturgy and the music. It regards any hymn that's not Kumbaya as elitist, and the use of Latin or the 1662 Prayerbook as wilfully obscurantist.

Cultural vandalism in a disguise of sharing and caring.
Mar 25th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Yes! What I think of as the "Have A Nice Day, Jesus" school. The songs all written by Foley, but could have been computer generated. Nothing that can't be strummed on a guitar. Don't get me started. I feel much less caring-y when strongly irritated by mediocre music.

Wait, there's more. I recently attended a service in MN where the worshipper next to me grabbed my hand to hold it during the Lord's Prayer. It's apparently madatory.

(However, the greetings and the coffee are fine with me.)

Sorry to hear it's even worse in Italy. What were those immigration laws in England again?