Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sunday in Dublin (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sunday-in-dublin-287427/)

Aussie603 Feb 11th, 2003 09:36 AM

Sunday in Dublin

What's open in Dublin on Sundays?

Ardfert Feb 11th, 2003 10:36 AM

Shops,theatres,cinemas,football games and lots more.Take a day trip somewhere.

Aussie603 Feb 11th, 2003 11:01 AM

My 15year old son would LOVE to see a football game. Do you know how we would get tickets?

SiobhanP Feb 12th, 2003 03:30 AM

ALl the shops are open until 5-6 pm. Take a stroll around Merrion Square where the artists set up the paintings around the square. The park inside the square is lovely as well. Check out any of the museums. The Guinness tour would be fun on a sunday. As well take a bus tour out of town to Glwendolough or up to Newgrange. These are all things I do on Sundays.

Aussie603 Feb 12th, 2003 08:32 AM

Hi Siobhan: Thanks for all the great info. Actually we'll be visiting in July, and I'll have two teenagers in hand. One of them would love to see a sporting match if possible. Are there football games ( we call it soccer) in July? Also he'll want to buy some football jerseys and sports souvenirs. Can you recommend a store that would be sell this type of thing. Thank you again. Maria

waffle18 Feb 12th, 2003 10:30 AM

If you want to see a football match, and I'm talking Gaelic football here, then your best Dublin best would be to go to Croke Park. Hurling, too, is a popular sport at that time as September is the when the 'Super Bowl' of both sports is finally played.<BR>Try www.GAA.ie for game times and schedules. Sundays are when these games are traditionally played...<BR><BR>If you can't get into a game at least take in the GAA Museum at Croke Park. Sure to be lots of sporting goods and souvenirs there! The museum is open on Sundays, too, noon - 5pm. <BR><BR>Most of the larger department stores in Dublin will have a sports section where you can buy shirts and the like. Very popular witht he kids last time I was there...<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Wendy

Ann41 Feb 12th, 2003 12:58 PM

There are some Gaelic matches in June (it's all on the GAA's website), but there's usually not much going on in terms of soccer in the summer. Even Ireland's home Euro2004 qualifying matches are in June or September.<BR><BR>Gaelic's a great sport to watch, so I'd try to get tickets to one of the matches at Croke Park if possible.

SiobhanP Feb 13th, 2003 07:54 AM

I think Aussie/Maria was looking for soccer games not Gaelic but they would be fun to attend as well. I do not know of any international matches playing but check out the www.fai.ie website and this would show you any matches at the time. For soccer shirts etc, Champion sports are around the city and Arnotts department store has a huge sports department that would have the largest selection. It's on Henry street (the major north side of the liffey shopping street). <BR><BR>Also there is a rock and roll tour of Dublin that the teenagers might like. The information can be gotten at the Tourist Office on Suffolk street, it's in a converted church, you can't miss it. <BR><BR>Glendolough would be lovely in July as well for the day as the sun does not set till late over here. It's outside Dublin in the mountains and just a beautiful place to go for the day. <BR><BR>If they they bored and you want to shop without the hassle from them there are tons of internet cafes off Grafton street. It would be safe to drop them in for an hour and they can surf the web and send mails while you shop. I go to one called Cyberplanet on a small street between Suffolk Street and Exchecquer St off Grafton Street. They can have a snack and stay busy. <BR><BR>Have fun, July is a great month in Dublin!