Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summertime blues: Would anyone here knowingly choose Euro summer travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Sophie

Hi. I've watched these board off and on and I constantly hear: shoulder season, shoulder season, shoulder season - practically like a chant. Hey, I'm not crazy. The times I've traveled before were Sept-Oct and April. But next summer we're bringing the pre-teen and teen offspring (and two of their friends) who can't miss but the last day or two of school, putting us in Venice June 15 and then on to more northernly places through July 10 or so. <BR> <BR>That recent post where everyone cautioned the poster (the not-so-hot-on-Italy traveller) against travel in summer has me down! <BR> <BR>Anybody have anything REALLY GOOD to say about summer in Europe? <BR>- Sophie

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 11:07 AM
greg

If you want to see Sons et Lumiere shows in France, they are only held in summer, mostly in July and August.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Robin

Very long days (sun sets around 10pm) are great for touring, and most sites have longer operating hours as well. <BR> <BR>Try to build in some off-the-beaten-track sites if possible, and then just brace yourself for the crowds. The truth is, the top spots are crowded at all times of the year, but the heat just makes it a little less tolerable. Maybe seeing this stuff through the eyes of the kids (who won't care about crowds) will help with any frustration you feel. <BR> <BR>It'll be great!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 11:40 AM
rob

I've been to Venice in Late May, and it was fine - I don't think it will be horrible in mid June. Maybe a bit more crowded, but the crowds are fairly easy to avoid. Weather should still be fine. <BR> <BR>I suggest going from Venice to Austria. June is perfect for Austria. Do you like mountains? A lot of them still have snow on them in June. Not crowded at all. From Venice you have plenty of choices. You could go from Venice to Villach to Lienz ( a great town with almost no June tourists) and then up over the Grossglockner Road. Actually, the Grossglockner Road is one of the best things about Europe in the summer - it's only open from May to November. From the Grossglockner, Salzburg is pretty close. Another option is Venice to Verona up over the Brenner Pass to Innsbruck, and then on to Munich or Salzburg. <BR> <BR>Have a great time.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Karen

I'm travelling to Italy next June, a month I picked for the same reason as you--two sons who are still in school. I know it will be more expensive and more crowded, but we don't have a choice, and June will be better than July or August!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Al

You might check Bergen Lines web site and investigate their Hurtigruten ships which ply the coast of Norway, from Bergen to Kirkenes and/or back. We bought their fly/hotel/cruise package three years ago and found it to be one of the best vacations ever. In Sweden, incidentally, hotels offer lower rates because commercial travelers are on holiday and they want to entice tourists to come and stay.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:42 PM
elvira

In the cities, buy passes or tickets ahead (no waiting in lines, in the heat) for museums, historical sites and transportation. <BR> <BR>Spend more time in the country than the city (fewer tourists; it's always cooler in the country than the city); you can go swimming! You can go horseback riding! You can go to the top of an Alp in shorts! You can rent mopeds and bicycles! <BR> <BR>FRESH PRODUCE <BR> <BR>Summer is when lots of saints have feasts and villages have festivals and fairs, which makes for great photo ops and great interaction with the locals. <BR>This does not mean you should do the running of the bulls in Pamplona. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:56 PM
russ

Sophie, <BR> <BR>I like Rob's itinerary above, and in fact, did almost that exact one in June of last year. Out side of Venice, no problems with crowds or weather. I you want more time in Italy, add Vinceza and Mantova to his Venice-Verona itinerary. Then head up for the Austrian and German towns he suggested. Have fun! <BR> <BR>P.S. One note about Venice in Summer. All the crowds are at the same places: St. Mark's, both church and square; the Doge's palace and Bridge of Sighs; the Accademia Museum and the Rialto Bridge. Walk 15 minutes in any direction AWAY from these places, and you will have the town to yourself. Do a lot of wandering. Getting lost in Venice is one of its chief pleasures. Good luck.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Paulo

You have it much more convenient than we have it here in the southern hemisphere. When travelling in the European summer we have to go during July (we usually stay a month)... I can't say that the heat really bothers. As long as one has a/c in the car and book hotels with a/c no much sweat. Appart from the longer days and site opening hours, feasts, etc (if one wishes to attend an opera in Verona's arena, one may do it only in July and August!), one big plus in Italy is the low precipitation rate during July (from the lakes down to Naples). During our last 4 times there it didn't rain a bit during daytime (here and there a few drops fell during the night). <BR> <BR>Unless you're very unlucky, it shouldn't rain much north of the Italian border either (though last time, it poured continuously and heavy during more than a week in all the area from Salzburg down to the Italian border). <BR> <BR>There are sites like the Wasserspiele castle near Salzburg that are a kids must and once one gets all wet the heat of summer is surely a plus . <BR> <BR>In Viena, Prague, all of Bavaria west to Heidelberg and up to Frankfurt, Brussels and Brugge we always had marvelous weather (just about no rain at all and surprisingly mild temperatures). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 02:57 PM
lisa

Yes! Absolutely. I have ONLY been to Europe in July-August (twice) and loved it both times! England, Holland, France, Italy (including Venice -- which I adored), Greece, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium -- all great. You are going to have a fantastic time. I'm sure it is less crowded in the off-season but we can't always take vacations at the ideal times. Plan ahead, reserve early, don't schedule too many major crowded tourist sites in one day, and you will be fine!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 03:21 PM
Mary Ann

Hi Sophie <BR>I was one of the ones hyping Venice for the fall, but...... In 1997 our daughter was doing a semester in Germany, with class ending July 31. Plus we were purchasing a car which had to be picked up no later than about July 25th. So we decided to go July 23 - August 9th. We were in Germany and Switzerland the first week and had absolutely no problems (we did make reservations in advance which I would recommend). The only problem we had was driving on August 1st in Germany when we picked her up on our way to France. I think all of Germany went on Vacation and the roads were packed. France was great! Did the D day beaches, went on to Brugge and Amsterdam, which was having a heat wave and it never got below 75. <BR>The good news is that it is so warm everyone wears shorts, many go to the South of France so go north! Use the web and make your reservations. Weather was fantastic, only had one day of full rain, and the other times it rained when we were driving. <BR> <BR>You gotta take advantage of these trips when you have the opportunity. They fly by too fast especially with the kids. We have very fond memories of sitting in a Beer pub in Brugge with our 21 year old daughters undivided attention for an evening! (among others) <BR>So go and have a great trip!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 08:47 PM
julie

If I could choose, I would definitely not do London in the summer. Did that last summer to our regret. City was full of French tourists, kids, teens, all eating "take away" food, junk all over the sidewalks, the subways crowded and hot, and lines, lines, lines. Go to London in the winter..a totally different experience. And for a good place to go in the summer, try Scandanavia..went there last spring, and it was cool and not too crowded, and incredibly beautiful.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 05:54 AM
frank

Summer is a good time to visit Europe's "second cities" - marvellous places in their own right which are always put in the shade by a nearby city with more famous historical sights, & so get few tourists. <BR> In these places hotels are cheaper, people are much more friendly towards tourists, better service, less theft etc.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 06:23 AM
sherrie

Just went to Rome and Venice. We were there on June 16th to the 25th. It was great, there were some crowds, but not like in July and August. The kids in Europe don't get out of school until the middle of July. The weather was perfect the sights were fantastic and the people truly charming. Enjoy your adventure.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Diane

I prefer off season but... will be in Scotland and France mid to late August. The reason for summer travel this time is to do a sailing course in Scotland. We will be there during the festivals so that will be fun to experience, and I am anticipating the flowers to be beautiful.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Karen

I forgot to say that since we have to go to Italy in summer (June), we are definitely going to spend a few days at the sea. I wouldn't do that in winter or early spring, although I might in fall. A few days near the water will make up for crowds in the city, at least for me!