Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summer in the Swiss Mountains, but Where?

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:40 AM
kebanks

Four of us are planning to spend a week in August in the mountains of Switzerland, and I'm looking for your best recommendations. We live in Geneva, and have already visited Zermatt (loved it), Murren (great), Verbier, etc. Trying to decide whether to go back to one of those areas, or try something entirely new, like the Engadine or Davos area. What would you do? Is Eastern Switzerland worth the excess travel time from Geneva, or should we stick with the Berner Oberland, Gstaad or Zermatt? All great advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:58 AM

It should be worth the travel time to see something new. My choice would be the (Upper) Engadine. Even because it is terribly hot currently! It is really different from those mountain places you already know in Switzerland.

I wouldn't go to Davos, because it is more a town than a charming village.

Ingo
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:59 AM

Hi Kebanks,

Several of us went to Zuoz, in the Engadine in June and had a great time. Check out the trip report; Fodorites in the Engadine.

I have to smile at your remark about "excess travel time". Switzerland seems so nice and compact to me. I'm looking at a 1250 mile drive next week just to get home (and Utah and Nevada aren't NEARLY as scenic as where you'll be travelling!)
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 09:05 AM

I just recently got back from spending time in Gstaad and i absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I want to get back there as soon as i can. Its absolutely beautiful there... But if you have already visited there, go somewhere new..
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 09:06 AM

Hi Ingo! We were posting at the same time. (kebanks, check out some of Ingo's photos and recommendations.... he's very much in the know!)

So you don't think I should take my silent sister to Davos?
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:02 PM

Am in the process of posting pictures from our trip this past June. I vote for the Engadin. I liked it the best of what we saw in Switzerland. Loved Val Tuoi in Guarda. Had dinner at Hotel Messier which was referenced in 2002 Bon Appettit. Great dinner, not too badly priced. Here are the pictures, will post more today.

http://normasells.com/switzerland-su...ummer-2003.htm
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:11 PM

Forget Davos. Was not impressed-really suprised!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:14 PM

Try the Ticino area - Italian Switzerland. Stayed at Ascona on one of the lakes and took wonderful drives into the mountains as well as into Italy. Swiss friends sent us there - it was great........Can fly in and out of Milan's western airport and drive up in a couple hours.........
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:29 PM

We enjoyed Davos but we stayed outside at Hubli Landhaus, excellent lodging & food. We drove up & down every single road leading hither & yon & saw some incredible scenery & enjoyed the quaint villages in remote areas...we even found the army.
Wonderful places to walk & to sit & gaze. We also drove over to Klosters one day, and took all the lifts. We'd go back there...oh yes, market day was lots of fun too.
However, I do love Ascona & we had a great 4 days there one spring.
How can you lose? It's Switzerland!
Have a great time...Linda
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Good afternoon, kebanks
Can only suggest one place as prime for mountains and that is the Berneroberland.
Grindelwald, Murren.Wengen and Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken and the lakes of Thun and Brienz, combine to make it.
For mountians, the Eiger, Monch, Jungfrau and Piz Gloria can not be
surpassed. Even if you have been there
before return, you still have missed an
awful lot... Have been into the St. Moritz area twice and other than the
Bernina have been disappointed.. Try at least a couple of more days in the BO.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Intrepid

You live IN Geneva and are aksing US for recommendations about the mountains of Switzerland?????...that's a new one but seriously, combining the mountains with the lake areas as mentioned above might be the best