Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Summer in Greece (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/summer-in-greece-872848/)

Pierre2020 Jan 10th, 2011 11:18 AM

Summer in Greece

I will be spending approximately two weeks in Greece this summer. This is a first time visit.
I would like a mix of beach (staying put for 5 to 7 days in one, maximum two places). And then a bit of wandering around.
Any suggestions of spots to go and see? We are two adults, 50+ years old, enjoying travel.
We are fairly open as far as destinations are concerned.

ParisAmsterdam Jan 10th, 2011 07:30 PM

I'm not a beach person so I'll let someone else suggest
where on that topic. For the other part of your holiday
spend 2 nights in Nafplion in the Peloponnese. It's a lovely town and was the first capital of Greece after independence.

From there you can easily visit Epidaurus, Tiryns and Mycenae. Corinth too.

Drive to Delphi and spend a night there. Spend your last 2 days in Athens... plenty to see and do and you'll be close to the airport for departure.

Rob

worldinabag Jan 10th, 2011 08:41 PM

Hi

Yep thumbs up for Rob's suggestion. In the same area is the beach resort Tolon. Alternatively stay on a Greek island for 5 days - try Paros.

KayF Jan 10th, 2011 09:43 PM

We've had a few trips to Greece, mainly to the islands. The last visit was in August and we wouldn't normally have chosen to go in the middle of summer and the peak season and wouldn't recommend it. From our experience August is incredibly hot and humid and crowded, I think June, July or September might be more pleasant.

Santorini is one of those places that once seen, you will never forget. It's jaw droppingly stunning. We liked Chania on Crete, Mykonos, Naxos and Rhodes. From Rhodes you can do a day trip to Symi and you can visit Delos from Mykonos.

It's not as easy as you'd think to link up the islands by ferry or plane, as some don't have airports and the islands are in groupings for ferries, so it's easier if you can pick a couple of islands in the same group. I liked this website for ferries and prices but the summer timetables won't be available yet:

www.goferry.gr

How about Mykonos, Naxos and Santorini or Folegandros and Santorini?

Kay

parosblue Jan 12th, 2011 09:28 AM

For your week on beaches, I recommend Paros. There are wonderful and varied beaches there and you could take a day trip over to Antiparos and there is a nice beach there as well. On Paros there are lots of villages to visit, from the busy harbor hub of Parikia to the quiet mountain village of Lindos, plus other coastal towns, like Naoussa and Alyki. We are never at a loss for things to do and beaches to explore. Rent a car so you get off the main road to less accessible beaches. We are just a bit older than you.....we like to stay in Parikia as there is the most activity there and then take a bus or car to other spots as desired. Our favorite beach near Parakia is Parasporos. On the north side go to Kolimbythres near Naoussa. If you can get to Santorini for a couple of days it is definitely worth it because of the spectacular geography. However, you won't regret spending more time on Paros where there is a sense of real island living. While on the mainland, I'd combine Athens with a stay in Naufplion - it is lovely there and many ancient sites of great interest nearby. Lastly, one night in Delphi would let you also experience that magical mountainside setting. Make sure you save 2-3 days for exploring Athens. I would do the mainland first and then go out to the islands. With two weeks, the temptation will be to try and cram in too much.Travel time an the need to absorb what you are seeing should be factored in. Of course there are so many beautiful islands in Greece. After some reading up, let us know what your preferences are and we'll weigh in on your itinerary.

Odin Jan 12th, 2011 10:24 AM

For stunning beaches and scenery, I would recommend the Pelion area. Milopotamos is the most stunning beach, with marble pebbles and clear calm water, to name but one beach. The scenery is dramatic with cliffs that plunge into the sea, the area is very green whilst alot of Greece is rather dry during the summer. The architecture is interesting, houses with overhanging balconies and traditional Pelion roof tiles and many merchants mansions converted to hotels to stay in. The monasteries at Meteora are within reach of Pelion, however Pelion is quite a drive from Athens unless you can fly to Volo. It is less crowded than the islands as mainly Greeks and some Europeans holiday in this area as it is less well known.

brotherleelove2004 Jan 12th, 2011 11:08 AM

Another vote for the beaches of Paros!

MyLittleNomads Jan 13th, 2011 09:38 AM

I'd do 2 islands in the Cyclades. Paros is great, as mentioned above. Naxos is one of my favorites for it's mix of beaches, sights, and inland exploring — whether it be hiking or visiting small quaint villages.

David Robert Hogg,
Publisher of My Little Nomads