Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Summer 2011 open-jaw flight Slovenia/Croatia - too soon to book?

Old Sep 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

I asked this in the Air Travel forum but am also posting here just in case...

I'm pretty sure it's too early to start thinking about buying -- but if I don't have flexibility with location or dates would that make a difference? Some of the flights that come up on a search today list only 4 seats remaining at that price.

So I'm wondering if specific needs and destinations where there aren't tons of flights every day makes a difference on how long to wait to buy.

The flight I'd most like (least stops, and airlines) is Lufthansa and is $1610 pp today (coach). There are a few lower - around $1300 but involve several flights in each direction and really bad layovers.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 06:44 AM

What is your departure city and dates? You may try checking flights on www.kayak.com, they can be helpful in locating routes and airlines which service our area. Also try breaking your fare Frankfurt, round trip. And from FRA to Zagreb, Dubrovnik or Split. Sometimes it is much better total.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM

I am working on a trip for next summer, too, needing to find air tickets for family members joining us from different locations at different times.

One thing to keep in mind is that airline schedules can change, sometimes fairly dramatically, when you book so far ahead. You may end up paying a not-so-great fare for what used to be an agreeable schedule, only to have it change later on.

As much as I want to book soon, to get this phase of travel planning out of the way, I will probably wait until January or so.

I have booked a couple of FF tickets already, but I'll wait on the cash ones for now.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM

I agree with pavot. Even if you book right now there are no guarantees that it won't change. We had flights booked to Croatia in 06, 7 months before our trip, and about 2 months before departure the schedule changed drastically and long story short we had to leave a day early and spend the night in London to get to Dubrovnik on our previously-scheduled arrival date. I've had many flights that have had big schedule changes, but that one was the biggest and involved a lengthy call with AA customer service to get it resolved the best way possible to not interfere with our trip plans.

So basically you can book today but be prepared for schedule changes. Check on your flight schedule online often because in my instance we never received notification; I just checked our flight schedule one day and saw the changes.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I do understand about schedule changes and felt it was too early. But what do you think regarding the smaller number of seats available for that route? Does that factor in? I would hate to see it sold out or the remaining tickets go sky-high if I go forward & make other reservations for the trip.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM

So much of the decision really comes down to how comfortable YOU are with the purchase.

It's like a game of What If?: How would you feel if the price went up by a lot and you hadn't booked? How will you feel if you purchase the tickets, and the schedules change in ways you can't live with?

(Personally, once I buy a plane ticket, I never look back to check prices.)

I do love to get the logistics nailed down and out of the way, so I can understand wanting to buy now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do; I hope it will be for the best.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, pavot.
I got an alert from yapta that the fare on one had dropped $70 (glad I didn't really jump the gun!) so maybe I'll wait another few weeks and see what's going on.

I am willing to pay a premium for nailing things down but the risk of a big schedule change is a little hard to stomach.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM

if you are looking at a website like United and they show only 4 seats left, that is for that particular price.
There are usually many more seats available.
We are also going to Venice and Solvenia next Sept. but will continue watching the fares and wait until about two months before we leave. we have had success with this method in the past.
dtaylorburke
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

dtaylorburke: Now you tell me! I bought those tickets weeks ago. I'm not much at waiting when I get an idea in my head. I hope the price drops for you - but don't tell me if it does!
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM

my lips are sealed!
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Whether to buy early depends a lot on the situation. For example, I have already bought my tickets to get to Europe via India next May, returning in June, from Coolangatta with Air Asia. They had a brief "special" a month ago and I paid less than $1000, which is half the usual price, so I snapped it up. Australia is a long way from anywhere and airlines tend to charge accordingly.

But I have flown too many miles not to know that schedules change. So I leave a day's grace at every transit. That adds a night in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur between the OOL-KUL-COK (stay 4 nights)COK-KUL-STN and returning five weeks later STN-KUL-OOL legs, but it gives me peace of mind that I won't suddenly find my next leg departing before I arrive.

In your case, if the price is right, maybe it's OK to book. But be sure the price is right. Don't just check out skyscanner, kayak, sidestep, orbitz and the other multi searchers. Also look at some of the cheap carriers that don't always appear on those such as air berlin, wizz, bmibaby, easyjet and similar. Just remember that you get what you pay for.

As others have noted, it is very unlikely that they are close to sold out at this early stage. Add that day's grace into your planning and relax; that may also let you wait for later last-minute prices.

PS I didn't know this forum had an air travel section. I have a few flights of my own to check

Cheers, Alan
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/