Summer 2008 Czech Republic and more

Oct 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Summer 2008 Czech Republic and more

My wife and I have the opportunity to travel through July and August of 2008. Our hope is to travel on a pretty tight budget staying in small guest houses etc and travelling by train or bus. We are looking for advice on how realistic it would be to travel with the cost of food and lodging at around $30-$50/day for the both of us. More expensive means a shorter trip-(we had a wonderful summer in Southeast Asia last year at that budget)We want to minimize the cost of food and lodging to keep a reserve of budget for experiences the areas offer. Does it make sense to travel through the Czech Republic to Slovakia and Hungary and either Romania or Croatia? We only speak English and basic French.
Oct 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM

Sorry, I think $30/day might get you food, or (extremely rudimentary...read = hovel) lodging, but not both. If your "experiences" exclude food, drink, and accomodations, that doesn't leave much. I think a 'basic' budget would be more like $90-$100/day
Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM

It is really cheap outside PRague in the Czech Republic, but your budget isn't possible anywhere that I know. YOu really think you can get a day's food and half a lodging cost, plus transportation, for $15 per person a day? I don't know anywhere in Western Europe you can do that. Even though public transport is cheap in the CR, that might be about $5 right there, depending where you are going (part of a train trip, a bus ride, etc.).
Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Agree with the other posters.

We have found the CR to be relatively cheap (outside of Prague) but still cannot see how you can do it on that budget. We have always found, thus far, gorgeous B&B's for 50 euros a night for my husband and I. And you can find cheap food. Don't know how realistic $30-$50 is! I would say to at least double that, unfortunately, but you can spend a lot more eating better and attending the symphony, etc.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
ira

Hi A,

>..food and lodging at around $30-$50/day for the both of us.

Not at all realistic.

Make that per person and change it to Euros, and you will still be on a very tight budget.

"Europe From $50 per Day" was published in 1996.

Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM

ditto on the budget, but here's a practical suggestion: Don't go to ANY cities and stay away from the coast of Croatia--that's high season. If you are a nature person, the northeast of Croatia is well worth investigating.
I think staying in rural areas could work at a bargain, but not quite the bargain you are looking for.
I economize by taking sleeper cars on trains for long trips.
My advice is to check out some books on teh regions you are interested in to find out real numbers on--again, rural areas. Good Luck