Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suitcase style (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suitcase-style-953729/)

bendigo Oct 15th, 2012 03:47 PM

Suitcase style

I know a lot of you travel light, and can make do with carry on, but that is not going to work for us.

From beginning of December we will be heading to Europe for 3 weeks - London, Paris , Italy - so will need plenty of clothes to keep us warm, dry, and slightly stylish!

In Austalia I usually travel with a hard shell suitcase, but am wondering about current security practices, / expectations in Europe.

When I was in the USA a couple of years ago, I used a soft-sided case with zippers that I secured with TSA approved padlocks.

I am wondering if I need to do this again, or whether the internally-locked hard-shell cases are OK for Europe?

(The difference to me is almost entirely financial - if I can't use the hardshells, I need to buy 2 or 3 new cases for the family!)

Thanks,

Rob

flpab Oct 15th, 2012 04:24 PM

I like the hard sided cases if I am checking a bag with liquids. I always use the strap to make sure it is secured well. I don't lock my bags anymore but use zip ties. If you have a nail clipper you can cut them when you get to your destination. You also know if someone has opened your bag. Do your bags only lock with keys? No zippers? I would use the straps.

bendigo Oct 15th, 2012 04:33 PM

Keys and combinations on the hard cases - no zips, and no obvious points to secure with a zip tie.

Soft cases we have are zipped, so a zip tie would work as well as a padlock, except when an over-zealous customs agent wants to look in a case!

maxima Oct 15th, 2012 05:05 PM

Your best bet is to check the rules where you are from from and to for restrictions. the airports generally have a link to the restrictions. be careful about using ties on the zipper pulls,, over zealous personnel are know to just cut them off and may ruin your zipper pull or case

janisj Oct 15th, 2012 06:11 PM

"<i>. . . but that is not going to work for us.

From beginning of December we will be heading to Europe for 3 weeks - London, Paris , Italy - so will need plenty of clothes to keep us warm, dry, and slightly stylish!</i>"

OK - I manage to keep warm, dry, and more than 'slightly' stylish out of a 21 inch rollaboard. (Whether for 3 days or 3 months)

Southam Oct 16th, 2012 05:08 AM

The easiest and most effective security procedure is don't put anything valuable in your checked luggage. Then, in the very unlikely circumstance that your bag is rifled, whatever goes missing can be replaced (and it should be covered by your household insurance.)
It is not "overzealous" for security personnel to do their job of inspection. Security is for your benefit.
While I am not as adept as janisj, I agree that carefully chosen layers of clothing can keep you warm and attractive in winter, although wet weather will test your footware. You can also do laundry; it's sort of fun to spend an hour or so in a local laundromat. "Stylish" is in the eye of the wearer, not the beholder, since nobody except your companion will know you are wearing yesterday's sweater today.