Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suitcase or Backpack? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suitcase-or-backpack-1045286/)

WendyPGreene May 15th, 2015 11:15 AM

Suitcase or Backpack?

My 14 year old and I will be travelling by train from Amsterdam to Munich to Verona to Venice, spending a few days in each city. Would you recommend us taking a suitcase or backpack? I'm thinking a backpack would be easier to store on the trains, but never having done a trip like this, I'm not sure. Would a suitcase be more manageable? Thanks everyone!

Edward2005 May 15th, 2015 11:23 AM

Either works well. Packing light is the main thing. I prefer a backpack so I can walk around with my hands free.

Christina May 15th, 2015 11:34 AM

I think this is personal preference about whether you like something on your back or not. As for storage on trains, I've never heard anyone mention that reason, I can't imagine why a backpack would be easier. IN fact, I'd think it might be harder as it is softsided and an odd shape. At least in terms of the luggage racks at the end of the cars. If it is small enough, and the overhead racks are large enough, you can put it up there, but again, I don't see the difference in why it would be easier than a suitcase.

I wouldn't want anything on my back, I usually use backpacks locally and outdoors trips, etc., not for going to Europe for a long time. I would definitely want something with a handle no matter what, rather than having to carry anything on your back all the time. I know there are some backpacks with foldout handles, but that always kind of seemed to defeat the purpose as it adds weight and structure. But some people seem to like them.

colduphere May 15th, 2015 11:50 AM

I would use a backpack every time. But I've read here that backpacks knock unsuspecting bystanders over like bowling pins.

suze May 15th, 2015 11:59 AM

Either works fine. If you choose a suitcase make sure it has wheels and is around 22" in size only.

Same thing for backpack, make sure it fits you, isn't too large in size, and don't pack too much into it so it's not too heavy.

Good advice for newbie travelers is to pack your backpack or suitcase as you plan to for the trip, then go out in your own town and walk around for awhile. See if it is manageable, or not.

november_moon May 15th, 2015 12:06 PM

I only take a backpack if I am going to need to be walking with my stuff for a fair distance (miles) or on very uneven surfaces (dirt basically). For city and town travel in developed areas where you will have pavement, I always take a roller board suitcase. I find a suitcase much easier to live out of than a backpack - things stay folded, they are easier to access and shift around to find what you need. For train travel, you just have to be able to lift the bag up into the train and onto the overhead shelf (and sometimes not even that if there are lower racks).

mdinbc May 15th, 2015 12:18 PM

A friend of mine travelled with her teenage daughter Norway to Netherlands and Germany. She purchased a combination backpack/roller and loved it. She said it was the best purchase and highly recommended it for her 4 week trip. (she must have packed lightly!)

I can't remember the name brand but there are plenty to choose from.

ElendilPickle May 15th, 2015 12:37 PM

We just spent 12 days in Italy, and our carry-on roller suitcases fit fine on the trains and were easy to roll as we walked to our apartments.

Lee Ann

Mutti May 15th, 2015 01:13 PM

Team backpack here. I always pack lightly and wash in my room or send laundry out in less expensive countries. The main reason for the pack is ease. My hands are free, I don't have to worry about rolling on cobbles or uneven surfaces. Packing lightly is freeing because there are not extra items to deal with as one might while overpacking a suitcase. I use a 45 liter pack with tuck away shoulder straps. Try going to your local REI or other type of camping/travel store and try a few out. Remember, if you are traveling between countries, especially on bargain airlines (RyanAir), they have very strict weight and size requirements. Running for a train, accessing money or tickets, and hopping on a streetcar or hailing a cab seems easier with free hands. Make sure your child is willing to use and be responsible with the luggage she picks. You don't want to be dealing with two cases.

Edward2005 May 15th, 2015 01:39 PM

Worse yet, if you use a backpack the Europeans will be able to peg you as an American. If you pick a wheelie suitcase, they will spot you as from the U.S.A. It's nice when different threads tie together.

suze May 15th, 2015 01:50 PM

Edward, hate to break the news but if you are walking around with luggage of any kind, local people know you are a visitor.

ekc May 15th, 2015 02:14 PM

If for no other reason, I would choose a carry-on rolling suitcase because I would hate to have a sweaty shirt under my backpack.

I always use a carry-on rolling suitcase (2 wheels) and have never had a problem. That and a "personal item" and I am good to go for my 2-week trips to Italy. It is much easier (for me) than hauling around a backpack.

And I also am one of those who really hate getting shoved/bumped/whacked by someone wearing a backpack who turns around and/or doesn't look where they are going.

Sidny May 15th, 2015 04:43 PM

Why choose? I've used a combo backpack/roller bag I bought from Eddie Bauer about 6 years ago (not sure they still sell them), for every trip to Europe (and Thailand) since then. I know not everyone is a fan, but I love the flexibility of being able to roll it through airports but throw it over my shoulder in train stations or walking over bumpy streets or going up and down stairs. The only thing I don't love about mine is it's curved at the top so I lose a little storage space, but it's my go to bag for travel. The only time I use my traditional carry-on bag is for US business travel.

bvlenci May 16th, 2015 03:10 AM

I've used both, but I've decided I prefer a rolling suitcase for normal travel. It's usually harder to find things in a backpack. I used to put the stuff I thought I'd need first on top, but invariably I ended up needing whatever was at the bottom.

There are travel packs with C-shaped zippers, and fold-away straps, and sometimes wheels, but they don't have the support and balance features a true backpack has.

I found my backpack a bit annoying in urban settings, because I had to constantly take it off and put it back on. You should always remove your backpack in crowded places, because it's true that just a slight turn may smack someone in the face. I've been on the receiving end.

I don't think there's any difference in storage. Size and weight are important for both.

swandav2000 May 16th, 2015 03:21 AM

Hi WendyPGreene,

I'll advise you to get the rolling suitcases, and to get a spinner type. With a spinner bag, you can roll the cases sideways down a train aisle, which is really helpful. I travel by train a lot, and I can't tell you the number of times I clipped knees and elbows as I walked down a train aisle (murmering "excuse me. sorry. sorry. excsue me" the whole time) before I got my current spinner.

I find spinners to be really agile and quick, whether running for a train or walking through town to get to my hotel. I'm 60 years old, a short woman, and have found them easy to handle.

If you opt for a backpack, I'll just repeat what colduphere notes above -- be VERY aware of what you are doing and who is behind you, especially on a train. Again, can't tell you the number of times I've seen a clueless young person turn around in a train aisle and thus slam into the face of a seated passenger. Best thing -- once you're on the train, take OFF the back pack and hold it in front of you as you walk.

Have fun as you plan!

s

pariswat May 16th, 2015 03:28 AM

Edward,
Most of businesmen now travel with a backpack in Europe.
At work, the proportion would be 90% using backpack and 10% rollers. Proportion is inverse for women...
I guess what's been said above makes it : in backpack all our clothes get wrinkled, but men don't care much.
In rollers, women keep their clothes neatly folded.
My wife only uses rollers/suitcases (I carry those when I'm there anyway), and I use only backpack - one 'normal' backpack is good for 10 days of travel, including my laptop, some books and some files... My wife doesn't understand....

bvlenci May 16th, 2015 06:51 AM

Spinners are nice in airports and other places with smooth even flooring, but they're somewhat less useful on bumpy surfaces. They also have the annoying habit of rolling away on a slight incline. I wish they had brakes! We have two small suitcases that we use for about 90% of our travel. One is a spinner and the other is a traditional rolling bag. Both can roll down an aisle in a train, although sideways is better. I pick up the suitcase and carry it sideways when there's a risk of bumping protruding legs and bags. I never use a suitcase that I can't comfortably carry up steps and down aisles unless it's a trip that will be straight from plane to car.

Gary_Mc May 16th, 2015 08:03 AM

I use an Osprey soft sided 18" roller.

http://www.ebags.com/product/osprey/...FYU_aQodRgMA7A

My wife uses a 22in hard sided roller. There have been a number of times on German regional trains (especially double deckers) where my bag would fit in the overhead but not hers.

You will probably be riding ICE trains. I am not sure about luggage racks in those.

swandav2000 May 16th, 2015 08:24 AM

Well, I live in Germany and don't have a car -- I am always taking my case over rough asphalt and cobblestone streets to catch a bus to the train station, or walking from the train station to my hotel. Never had a problem with spinners in those cases.

When I'm on the train, I lay the case on its side so it doesn't roll.

s

bvlenci May 16th, 2015 08:36 AM

Maybe our cobblestones in Italy are more cobbled than those in Germany.

I also lay our spinner on its side in trains, but it's a bit of a nuisance in crowded airport boarding lounges and in similar crowded places where luggage has to compete with feet. I sometimes clamp it between my legs. I've also had it roll away when I'm buying a newspaper or waiting in a train platform. All in all, I prefer the regular rolling bag, although I do see the advantages of the spinner. It really should have a brake.