Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SUgguest one more italian city to visit...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:54 PM
colin

I will be in Italy after New year and will be going to Rome, Florence and Venice. Do you have any sugguestions for a town or city for an extra 2 days? Would it be a good idea to include somewhere scenic for january?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:05 PM
Ira

Hi Colin<BR><BR>You can do a day trip from Rome to the Amalfi Coast. You could also overnight in Naples and see either Pompeii or Capri.<BR><BR>How long will you be in each of the cities you're visiting?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:18 PM
colin

Ira- Hi there!<BR> I am spending 5 days in Rome, 4 days in Florence and 3 days in Venice.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:30 PM
Rex

Assisi<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:47 PM
carolync

I'll put in a vote for Parma. Not a popular &quot;tourist&quot; stop. Small city with loads of charm and on the way to Venice from Florence.<BR><BR>I've also heard Bologna is nice.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:30 PM
fred

If you are driving I'd opt for a spot in Tuscany or Umbria from which you can explore for a couple of days. Assisi, Cortona or Spoleto would be good choices. You also couldn't go wrong with Siena.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:38 PM
Any

any more?<BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:47 PM
clovis

Are you driving or training? That would require two different sets of advice.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Romeo

Verona is to die for, between Florence and Venice.<BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:21 AM
deb

Orvieto. You can easily train there from Rome or Florence.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Sandi

I visited Rome for a week in March and included a day-trip via train and public bus to Paestum and a drive along the Amalfi coast. I took the very early train out of Rome and ended up back there at about 11:00 p.m. I spent not quite 2 hours in Paestum, about an hour and a half in the town of Amalfi and had time for a pizza supper in Naples, too. It was a fun and very scenic day.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 09:34 AM
uncle sam

Orvieto is a winner!<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 09:46 AM
alice

hi colin, why don`t you spend 2 days at the amalfi coast, in a small village ,just for relaxing and enjoying that amazing part of the world.the scenery is just so wonderfull, and after visiting three cities you might want to spend time in an quite,unusual athmosphere.<BR>But Verona is also a place you have to be once in your life, the city of romeo and juliet is just amazing and an experience you should not miss.For another city to visit I would recommend that,

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Anne Robichaud

Colin,<BR>Whether or not you are traveling by train or car, Assisi, &quot;crown jewel of the medieval hilltowns&quot;, would be a perfect choice. And our tourists are already gone. The locals say, &quot;ci sono solo 4 gatti in Piazza&quot; (&quot;there are only 4 cats in the square&quot;, ie, our main square). If you come, do have a look at &quot; A CLIMB TO HEAVEN: Fresco Restoration in Assisi&quot; - on the homepage of my site: www.annesitaly.com<BR>Saluti da Assisi, Anne Robichaud

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:14 AM
kam

Lots of great suggestions here. I would add Lucca and Siena.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:23 AM
SA

Siena or Orvieto.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Julie

Siena, Assisi are both beautiful, though there are hordes of tourists in Siena. This shouldn't be too bad in January though... <BR>Going to Naples will give you an entirely different perspective on the Italian experience since it is in the south and depending where you are flying out of, it may be too far out of the way. If in the Naples area, I would stay in Sorrento.<BR>I don't think you could go wrong no matter where you decide to spend a few days!<BR><BR>Good Luck,<BR>Julie

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Melissa

Another vote for Orvieto. One of the most charming, friendly, and scenic towns I visited when I went to Italy.<BR>Have fun!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Marla

We would recommend the charming, friendly city of Sorrento--easy access to the Amalfi Coast--one of our favorite places to visit in Italy. From there you can also tour Pompeii--do not miss.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Wayne

If you can drive, I'd recommend one day in Siena and a second day exploring the surrounding towns like Pienza and Montalcino. Part of the charm of Tuscany is driving around and getting lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -