Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions - Spain, Italy, Portugal - Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Looking for any and all help to spend about 2 weeks over Christmas in one or all three of the above countries. Will it be too cold? Rainy? Does anyone have suggestions on your favorite places. Probably would prefer to fly into somewhere and spend a week and then move to a new location for the 2nd week (either by train or Ryanair or something like that). Not really planning on a car. Our daughter is in Cambridge and we would like her to be able to come spend Christmas with us. Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:41 AM

Weather…One thing you can be sure of it will be variable. If you manage to find a weather history website you can also guarantee that statistically things will be different on your visit.
I would not worry about the weather.
Christmas’ in theses countries could prove to be rather quite as families tend to celebrate this at home rather than out at restaurants and hotels.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - quiet will be fine. Really just want chance to spend time with my family also. Any ideas on best spots?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Maybe Barcelona and Rome. 2 great cities, both with lots to keep you busy for a week, and lots to do indoors if weather isn't great. I have no idea what airline would fly between the 2, but they are both on my list of favorite cities. You could also spend 2 weeks traveling around just Italy or just Spain. Probably same is true for Portugal (haven't been there yet but going in Oct for 8 days).
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM

I went to Madrid for four days between Christmas & New Years 2009. The weather was in the 50's with 2 sunny/2 rainy days. The Christmas decorations and atmosphere were wonderful and everything was open. I especially liked the Mercado St. Miguel and St. Gines Chocolate and a tapas walk. I also did a day trip to Segovia since I've been to Madrid several times. There were tons of people in Madrid celebrating - it seems like many people go to Madrid to celebrate and see the decorations - the restaurants, etc. were very busy but fun. Iberia has flights between Lisbon/Madrid.