Reload this Page >

Suggestions re. Loire Valley and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:46 AM
jj

Hello; we're planning a 2-week trip to the Loire Valley and Paris in mid-June this year and I'd love to have some suggestions on things to see.<BR><BR>Of course, in Paris we want to see the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, and Catacombs (I thinks the Catacombs is in or near Paris?). <BR><BR>We've heard the Loire Valley is beautiful. What should we be sure to see around that area? I think we'll be staying around Lyon.<BR><BR>We're a group of 3 middle-aged couples; 1 couple in early 20's; 2 teens; and one 9-yr. old (all family).<BR><BR>Thanks for any help!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:25 AM
ttt

Anyone?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:43 AM
maryanne

In the Loire valley, many beautiful chateaux--chenonceaux is especially beautiful. Also town of Azay-le_Rideau is nice. We stayed in the medieval town of Chinon--great. If I were returning I might stay in the center of town in the Hotel Gargantua--very impressive. Be aware that Lyon is not close by. Tours would be the biggest city in the Loire.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:00 AM
Grasshopper

You should probably either go to the Loire Valley OR Lyon. Both are very nice. You might consider taking the train (TGV) to either city (about a 2 hour trip on the high speed train vs. much longer trip by car!)and renting a car(s) when you get to your destination.<BR><BR>In the Loire, you could stay in any one of the charming towns (Tours being a good one) or stay in a chateau. We stayed at Jallanges in Vouvray. It was reasonably priced and could possibly accommodate your entire group if you book now. In the Loire you will visit the many chateaus in the area. <BR><BR>Lyon on the other hand is France's second largest cities and has many things to see and do. It is also considered the gastronimical capital of France. From there you can explore the Parc du Pilat region. We took the train from Lyon to Geneva for two days.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:33 AM
Byrd

Hi-<BR>What a wonderful trip you have to look forward to! We stayed at Chateau de Rochecotte and loved it, both hotel and restaurant. <BR>Byrd<BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:08 AM
David

Wow! That's quite a group. If I'm doing the math right that's 8 adults, 2 teens and 1 child for a total of 11. With a group like that you certainly have some logistical challenges.<BR><BR>I was in the Loire valley the 2nd & 3rd weeks of June last year. I was there with my Dad 64, neice 14 and nephew 13. When I was looking at castle hotels in the area, the main problem was they were out of the way. Which is fine if that's what you want. But to sight see the Loire you might do better to stay in a town and train to other towns with castles. From experience Amboise, Blois, Chinon, Chenonceau & Saumur castles are within a reasonable (for me, 1 mile) walking distance of the train stations.<BR><BR>Of course, you could do more castles more easily with an automobile. I found driving in the Loire to be very easy. But with 11 people you are looking at 2 full size mini vans or 3 sedans. You'll have to do some checking of train costs vs. car rental costs. <BR><BR>www.sncf.com is the French train reservation site. You'll want to look at train discounts for families and children.<BR><BR>Avis, Europcar and Hertz operate in France.<BR><BR>As a compromise you might want to train to the Loire and then rent cars as needed.<BR><BR>