Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions please for a Germany to England route.

Jan 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

We plan to Fly into Frankfurt in late June and out of London in early July, about three weeks in total. Other than a few days in Wolfsburg we are open to suggestions, I don't mind driving, don't mind trains, we have seen a fair bit of paris and the south of France so it doesn't need to factor in.

Just interested in people thoughts and suggestions, this is one of those nice open ended travel posts.
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM

We lived in Wuerzburg (W of F'furt) for 3 years; every summer we drove to family in UK: W'burg to Aachen, Belgium, then to Calais, France, & ferry to Dover, motorway to London. It's a lovely, all day drive from Frankfurt to Calais. The SeaCat is faster than the ferry; make reservations for either. Avoid driving and still get to see the countryside: Relax & take the train from Frankfurt to Calais, then Chunnel to London. Check this site: www.raileurope.com/us/rail/eurostar/index.htm Those stories you may have heard about the uninhibited European drivers are true!
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mirolex, I have done a bit of driving in France as well as Italy, so I am not fazed by the exuberant Euro motorists

The train does sound good though, we can always make stops !!
Jan 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM

I doubt you will be able to hire a car in Germany and leave it in the Uk - if you can it will cost you a fortune. Which leaves the train.
You could spend some time in Holland, and then either get the boat from Hook of Holland to Harwich and train to London ( you can buy a through ticket for this) or potter down through Belgium to either a Belgian port or onto Calais.

Or go through Holland, get the boat to Hull from Rotterdam, bus to York and then travel down to London.
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:14 AM

In practice, the quickest driving route practically always involves going to Calais and then through the Tunnel. Routes via Holland might be more relaxing (or not!!!) but you spend a lot of time on a pretty boring boat (there may be duller coastlines than either side of the North Sea, but I've yet to find them).

The Tunnel gives you - in theory - the opportunity for using the Hertz Le Shuttle, where you dump a right-hand drive at one tunnel entrance and pick up a left hand drive one at the other. Bear in mind, though, that although one-way drop off charges between different countries on the Continent are lower than the Camilla's ranson it costs to drop a Continental car off in Britain, there's still a substantial cost involved in dropping a Frankfurt-hired car off at a Channel port.

You may well find it a lot cheaper, say, to train to Amsterdam, potter round the Low Countries for a few days in a car, then dump the car at Schiphol and fly to Britain. Or more or less ditto, followed by flying from Brussels. Or (most painless of all) train to Lille, car and potter, then train to London
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

OK, more options to think about !!! Thank you !
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Is there any specific region you would like to include into your itinerary? Beaches, big cities, quaint countryside, mountains?

Since you have three weeks, and since London can be reached with low cost airlines from virtually any godforsaken airstrip in Europe, you could go wherever you wanted in Central Europe, and still were able to get to London in 90 minutes.
Jan 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Good point Cowboy, but not only have I embraced Slow Food, I am also trying to take on a few aspects of Slow Travel. We are travellers more than tourists (I'd like to think )

We are Australian so Euro beaches don't hold much appeal, Mountains are OK as long as they have snow on them and Ski lifts, we are probably more inetrested in seeing how the locals live with a smattering of history.......my wife will of course protest.... ABC !!!
(another bloody cathedral !! )