Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on places to stay and things to do on Lake Maggiore.

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying into Milan (MXP) and have only three days, two nights to explore. I thought we would head straight to Lake Maggiore (didn't want too long of a car ride). We will be going the second weekend of this October. We are a family of 4, two adults and two kids ages 7 and 9. It looks like a few of the attractions will be closing the next week. Does anyone one know if the ferries will be running? Grazie!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

I think I originally posted this too early in the morning. Please share your ideas. Thanks Jean
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 11:50 AM

I stayed in Stresa, a sweet lakeside resort town with a nice promenade, etc. and fairly small. And right off shore are the three Uber famous Borromean Islands - three tiny specks of land and each with its own character - one has a castle - one some gardens and one a Bellagio-type former fishing village that is a tourist magnet for zillions of Italians. Stresa is easy to get to by train via Milan but i think the buses that i took there right from Malpensa airport are no longer running but check as that would be the best way.

Borromean Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dec 7, 2008 ... Archipelago, Borromean Islands. Total islands, 4 ... The Borromean Islands (It. Isole Borromee) are a group of three small islands and two ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borromean_Islands - Cached - Similar
#
Borromean Islands (island, Italy) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia
Britannica online encyclopedia article on Borromean Islands (island, Italy), four tiny (about 50 acres [20 hectares]) islands in Lake Maggiore, ...
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...romean-Islands
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM

STRESA,LAKE MAGGIORE,the official web site of Stresa from 1999
Stresa: lake Maggiore - Italy , its mountains, its life. The name of Stresa first appeared in documents dated 998; it has been under the jurisdiction and ...
www.stresa.org/eng/
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM

We went to Stresa last October on a day trip from Cassano Magnagno (outside of Milan)and thought it was absolutely beautiful. The ferries were running (and crowded) in mid October; we took them from Stresa to Isola Bella, then to the other islands, then the entire circuit around to other parts of the lake. We liked the area so much that we are spending 4 days outside of Stresa next month before we fly out of Malpensa. We have booked an apartment, but I would suggest that you either check tripadvisor.com or homelidays.com for lodging. Not sure of what else there is to do besides the islands and the town--we plan to just chill out the whole time. We will be there from October 13-17; it sounds like we will just miss each other.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM

http://www.lagomaggioreonline.it/lake.maggiore.htm

a fine site of what to see and do (and also accommodations) on Lake Stresa (a k a Lake Maggiore)
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Wow---you make Stresa sound so nice we may add it to our Italy trip next June.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I better start planning. A few rentals are by the week only. I thought we would be late enough in the season to avoid that.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM

there is a puppet theatre on one of the islands, or there was 22 years ago when i was pregnant with DD.

i think it's on the isola madre.

regards, ann