Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on hotel near Gatwick Airport

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:41 PM
DavidK.

I am stopping in London en route back from Rome to Los Angeles, and will be in London afternoon and evening, departing Saturday morning from Gatwick. Any suggestions on hotel near there? Also, any suggestions about what to do late afteroon and evening we will be there (myself, wife and son)? Thanks.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Nancy

Le Meridien hotel is located at Gatwick thru a connecting hallway - very convenient. I was there for a dayroom en route to Kenya from Los Angeles and had dinner there also, leaving at 11:00 pm that night. As I recall, the dayroom price was about $99.00 so it may be expensive but sure was worth the convenience.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Ben Haines

For what to do in London I should book nothing now, but on arrival buy at the airport the listings magazine Time Out, to read on the train up to London, and pick a concert or play. You'd phone with a credit card from wherever you arrive in London (I suggest Charing Cross, not Victoria), to book your seats. To eat, if the weather is good, you might try outdoors at Gordon's wine bar, between Charing Cross and Embankment stations. If the weather is bad, then somewhere near the concert or theatre you are to go to.

I am sorry I cannot help on hotels at the airport. But I can offer a wholly different approach. At the airport tourist desk book a hotel on the sea front in Brighton. The page http://www.brighton-hotel.com/ shows some of the range and includes two that I like, when I can afford them, the Old Ship and the Royal Albion. Both charge 60 pounds per person per night, but the Old Ship is masking a special offer on that web page. Also at the airport buy the Brighton Argus daily newspaper, and read the events list on the train for the thirty minutes to Brighton. Taxi to your hotel, wander and dine in the Lanes, perhaps a concert or play, to bed, and an early train back to Gatwick for your checking-in.

Please write if I can help further.

Welcome to England

Ben Haines

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:42 AM
DavidK.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:18 AM
doug

I've stayed @ the Ramada. It was pretty cheap compared to othe Gatwick hotels and I was pleasantly suprised. Clean, big room, Close by shuttle. There is also a Hilton connected. The connected hotels are usually fairly pricey.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Gregory

Hi David,

I'm off to Las Vegas this weekend and staaying overnight on Saturday at the Renaissance Gatwick ( Part of Marriot) for £60 per night. It has a swimming pool and hasa courtesy bus.
Near the North Termnial there is a Travel Inn (www.travelinn.co.uk) which offers good quality rooms but little in the way of amenities ( ie no fitness room or swimming pool) but you do pay £45 per night.

Regards
Gregory

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:16 PM
DavidK.

Gregory, Please let me know how you like the Renaissance Gatwick. Someone above mentioned Le Meridien which is located as part of the airport, and which has a promotional of 95 pounds for two people with breakfast during the time that I am going. I think that the Renaissance has a promotional 55 pounds without breakfast and 86 pounds with breakfast. Thanks.