suggestions on Croatia/Slovenia driving vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a driving vacation to Croatia and Slovenia from Verona. I like having the flexibility of having my own car. I would like to see Dubrovnik, one of the islands (Brac or Hvar), perhaps a day in Split, the Plitvice National Park and drive up to Ljubljana for a couple of days. Any recommendations on the best way to accomplish this? It's a full day's drive from Verona to Dubrovnik - are we better off driving to Split and then ferrying to Hvar and then to Dubrovnik? If so, how long are the ferry rides? I hate moving around so often but I don't think I can pick a single location in Croatia to serve as a home base. Any other recommendations on accomplishing these logistics? I've got about 10 days to do it all in so I can afford stopovers if necessary although I'd like a few days on the beaches of Croatia.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:21 PM

I spent 3 days in Brac last September (mainly in Bol) and really liked it there. Small picturesque town, fantastic stone walkway/avenue through the pines and alongside the water, from Bol at one end to the famous (pebble) beach Zlatni Rat at the other, and excellent hotel accommodation in between the two.

Ferry time : Split to Brac 1.5 to 2.0 hours depending on whether you take a high speed ferry or not (there are several).

Driving time Split to Dubrovnik (or vice versa) : 4.5 hours car or bus, with beautiful scenery. Highway very good, and very easy to travel. You have to pass through Bosnia for a brief bit so there will be 2 passport check points.

Beaches and water : Water temps were between 18 and 20C. Reminiscent of cottage/lake country in Canada. All beaches are pebbly and you do need rubber sandals or water shoes, and a mat to lie on for maximun comfort. You can however rent sun beds quite cheaply at most public beaches.

I sympathise with you for not being able to pick a point and make it your base; I ran into the same problem, and lived with it, though it can be done. There again, I only spent my week between Split, Dubvronik and Brac/Hvar.

Have fun.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

DId you make it to the Park? Wondering if that's worth a stop for a day. Not sure if there are hotels around the park or not.
This helps alot though - could spend a couple of days on Brac and then drive down to Dubrovnik for a couple. Do you think I could leave my car anywhere in Split - safely?
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:23 PM

The park is very worthwhile, IMO. There are a couple of hotels around it as well.

Your car would probably be OK in Split. Things happen, though. There will be a ton of Northern European cars there....doing the same type of thing.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 03:18 PM

If you click on my name you can read my trip report for Croatia last year in May. I also posted a link to some of my photos from that 2 week trip.

The ferry from Split to Hvar is about 1 1/2 hr. The ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik is about 8 hours. I recommend at least three full days for Dubrovnik. It is a wonderful city!

Enjoy!