Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Suggestions needed for fun train trip in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/suggestions-needed-for-fun-train-trip-in-italy-439252/)

PLMN Jun 5th, 2004 05:01 AM

Suggestions needed for fun train trip in Italy

Good Morning all.

I am looking for suggestions for a fun train trip in Italy.

We will be going in October. We will be spending the first 3 nights in Rome. We then have 2 days to kick about before going to the villa in Cortona area where we will be staying for a week.

At some point after the first 3 nights in Rome we plan to have a car.

I know that during the week at the villa we can take trains to many places including Florence.

My father wants to visit Bologna and my mother wants to visit Carrerra at some point. I think I should visit Lucca and I really want to see Venice. (My mom does not like Venice, but I think my father has been and might want to go again for my sake.)

So I guess what I want to know is for a train trip that shows off the beauty of Italy what would be the most important train trip? An answer to this question might depend on if we will be flying back to the US out of Rome. This I do not know yet.

I may not be phrasing the question correctly so if anyone needs clarification let me know.

Thank you.

Sylvia Jun 5th, 2004 05:17 AM

A really good journey with spectacular scenery is from Stresa on Lake Maggiore to Locarno in Switzerland.
You get the train to Domodossola and change for the train to Locarno.
From there you can take the ferry back to Stresa

PLMN Jun 5th, 2004 05:24 AM

Hello Sylvia. Thank you for the response.

About how long a trip is this? What type of train would this be? Any idea of the cost? On the type of trip I am talking about can one get off the train at any point and then get back on to continue the trip? I mean let us say you are looking out the window and see scenery that makes you want to get off in the town or village and explore.

If you don't know I can look up the information.

Thank you very much.

bobthenavigator Jun 5th, 2004 05:56 AM

Phoebe, you really need a good map.
I suggest you use viamichelin.com to give you time and distances. You cannot see all of Italy from Cortona.
Why not train to Siena[via Chiusi] for the 2 nites, then get your car and drive to Cortona.

PLMN Jun 5th, 2004 06:13 AM

Hi bobthenavigator. I really have followed some of the advice I have been given here and on Slow Traveler. I picked up a great map book at Books-A-Million, the Michelin Italy spiral bound is very detailed. I have used the site you suggested for the times and distances, great fun to fiddle with.

I understand I can't see ALL of Italy from Cortona. Just looking for suggestions to make the best use of our time there while accommodating 3 very different peoples individual desires. As you know I'm dealing with some wacky parents ;)

I have only taken one "scenic" type of train ride in my life. The Auto Train from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL over 20 yrs ago. It was an overnight trip and I spent most of it in the bar car because it had huge windows from which to view the scenery (sp?) and there was a gentleman playing the guitar for entertainment. (I slept here because the seats were more comfortable.) It was tons of fun. (Of course being 18 at the time and on my own helped.)

I'm not looking for an overnight train trip in Italy though. Just something to give my mom a taste of how much fun train travel can be. Not like the subways I grew up with in NYC, dirty and crowded.

bobthenavigator Jun 5th, 2004 06:22 AM

The scenic trains are mostly in the Alps--too far for you. The trains in Italy are the primary transport for most Italians are are utilitarian. If you just want the experience, then train into Florence from Arezzo--a better connection than Cortona.

ira Jun 5th, 2004 06:29 AM

How about taking the train through the Cinque Terre or training to Orvieto for the day?

PLMN Jun 5th, 2004 07:04 AM

Thanks ira and bob. As always, suggestions are appreciated. I will look into this. (After I finish my TCI research.) ;) No Flames please. (Am I using the term "flame" correctly here?)