Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions needed for an August trip through Chamapagne and Alsace Lorraine Region

Suggestions needed for an August trip through Chamapagne and Alsace Lorraine Region

Apr 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

My husband and 9-year old daughter and I are planning a trip to that region of France in August. Two main interests: WWI and WWII sites and wine/food.

We'd rent a car and are thinking of following a loop through Reims, Verdun, Metz, Nancy, Colmar, Troyes, Provin, etc. back into Paris for departure. A few questions:

1) Is 10 days to 2 weeks sufficient time to make this loop at a leisurely pace? The concept is to tour things in the morning, enjoy a leisurely lunch and relax in the afternoons (my daughter hopes this relaxation will be by a pool!) How many nights would you allot for each location/area?

2) What sites, restaurants, villages, wineries along the way are memorable and should not be missed? (NOTE: My daughter is used to European travel and is fine with sitting to enjoy leisurely meals and has an adventurous palate.)

3) Hotel reccommendations? I have always tended to enjoy staying in towns as it gives me the opportunity to wander around at will. However, we're open to staying in a country hotel within a few kms of a town/village if it's nice and my daughter gets her pool.

4) Any site or experience within that route that is worth a pass as it is more hype than anything else?

Any and all suggestions would be gratefully received!
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Yes that is leisurely to me

great scenic drive goes from outside Paris - from Melun along the Marne River Valley - vineyards and lots of little wine cellars to visit and cute little towns.

Chateau-Thierry has high on a cliff outside of town a WWI (or WWII?) U.S. memorial, maintained by U.S. government on site of major battle.

Reims has the War Room, in a former school by the train station where US Allies plotted final assault on Germany - war maps left as it as are name placques and chairs, etc.

Verdun if of course epicentre for WWI sites

And the Maginot Line is still in part intact and you can visit several various subterranean parts of it.

Luxembourg City has a WWII U.S. military cemetery with Gen Patton buried in it - he was killed after the war i believe in a jeep accident in the Grand Duchy.

Take back roads if possible as these are well paved and virtually traffic free - cute little villages - often rather depopulated as younger folk flee to more economically prosperous areas.
Apr 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM

We visited the Champagne area in 1990, staying in Epernay. We visited the Moet-Chandon cellars. Very fun!! Checked out the cathedral in Reim. A quick side trip was to the Belleau Wood. Here was a major battle of WWI and is now a US Cemetary. It was very moving and in the woods you could still see the trenches.

Good luck,

MY
Apr 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Being August, when most of France is on vacation, I would have hotel reservations if possible!

If you are in Epernay...Restaurant Les Cépages 16, r. Fauvette 03-26-54-51-30 2**Michelin Red Guide. Wonderful champagne selection-excellent food-one of the few true non-smoking dining rooms we found in France a couple of years ago. We stayed at a Best Western - Hotel Continental? friendly staff, modern larger rooms, neighborhood isn't bad (parking limited, though)

Between Épernay and Dormans...at Chatillon sur Marne...great home cooking in small restaurant : La Porte Oubliée 6, place Urbain II 03-26-58-37-58--Closed Tues. eve. and all day Wednes. Old town with park overlooking the valley and it's vineyards, statue of the native son, Pope Urbain II, etc. Worth a walk to work off that lunch -enclosed area so daughter can run around w/o close supervision . We were there during late Sept during harvest time.

Troyes - heartily recommend Hotel de la Poste, 35 rue Emile Zola. A Best Western, if I remember correctly. tel: 03-25-73-05-05
Nice restaurant. Excellent patisserie, Gerard somebodyorother across the stree (if you get a street side room, you can watch the patissiers work through the night on the second floor!) Centrally located just across from large square where the old town starts--very happening square.

Have a great trip!
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM

You might consider taking some time in the Somme to visit WWI memorials & cemeteries at Vimy Ridge (Canadian) & Thiepval (British). I found both sites profoundly moving.

You will love the Alsace for its charming villages and natural beauty of its regional national park & the countryside. Check out the scenic drives along the Route du Vin and Route des Potiers. Colmar would be the perfect town to base yourselves and tour the region!