Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Suggestions needed:Best International (world) atlas

Suggestions needed:Best International (world) atlas

Jul 7th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Carole

Suggestions needed:Best International (world) atlas

This will be a gift (will order via Amazon) and I need suggestions for a really fine World Atlas - any suggestions?

Jul 7th, 2002, 01:50 PM
lisa

This is a big question about a gift that will be useful for years and years. Is there any chance you could visit a library or bookstore before you order to decide which you think the recipients would prefer? You might get some excellent help if you asked a librarian.

We have the National Geographic (7th edition), Rand McNally (1982) and Oxford (1996).

I use the National Geographic Atlas the most, and you can't go wrong with it. It has lots of interesting commentary, aerial photos, flags, and very readable maps, including useful US maps. Plus, they update on the internet. It is the most "familiar" looking, at least to someone who grew up with the National Geographic magazine in the house.

The Oxford Atlas also has lots of interesting commentary and attractive plates. It is an excellent atlas, as well and runs close to the Nat. Geo Atlas, I think.

The new International Rand McNally Atlas (our is not so new) has names in the country's spelling, so if you can easily find a city by its native name. If you are looking up where your ancestors came from in Russia, and had a Russian name for some dinky town, I think your best bet for locating it is in this Atlas. However, this atlas probably has the least commentary of the three, the least "fancy" maps. (back in 82, anyway.)

Good luck. Tell us what you find out!

Jul 7th, 2002, 01:59 PM
flygirl

I have a National Geographic one from 1963. it's kinda cool. (yes I have newer ones, just can't bear to part with this one)

Jul 16th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Carole

Lisa, the Rand MC Nally Atlas sounds perfect- I went to Barnes and Noble and was surprised at the lack of options and I knew someone here could guide me! Mine is so old, (1959) but I agree they are too cool to part with!

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Apollo

The Times Atlas of the World is, IMHO, the finest atlas published which is not aimed at the academic market.
I used it at University and its the atlas of choice for most public libraries in the UK. It's not however overly top-heavy on the UK and Europe. Indeed the US and far east are covered extremely well, as is South America and Africa. In fact the poorest coverage is definitely reserved for the polar regions! Its very, very up to date and extremely comprehensive.
It's huge (a bit unwieldy), comes in a slip case and expensive: £125.00 but faultless.

Strongly recommend.

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:22 AM
lisa

For Christmas of 2000 I got a loved one an atlas as a gift and did a lot of research and browsing in bookstores before I bought. I ended up buying the National Geographic one which I thought was by far the best. It is normally $150 but Amazon has it for $105. Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...334448-4331015

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:57 AM
mark

I have the National Geographic, Atlas of the World, 7th edition. The maps are incredibly detailed. The index is well thought out - easy to find a city then locate it on the appropriate map. Lots of extra information - flags, ocean currents, constellations, etc, etc. And the book is big. The only quibble I have - and it's very minor - is that the cover is pretty drab.

I also have a coloring geogrpahy book, The Geography Coloring Book (2nd Edition) by Wynn Kapit - a very fun informative way to improve one's knowledge of geography.

Search this Thread