Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions in Turkey or Italy for 2 single women?

Mar 16th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Allesandra

My friend and I are planning a trip to Europe this summer and would like to know if anyone has suggestions of good places for two, young, (late 20's) single women to go. I am interested in Turkey, however am concerned about being hassled, especially if we are unaccompanied.

I don't know much about popular beach resorts in Turkey or Italy for that matter. However, I have been to the Amalfi Coast. Any suggestions for fun, interesting destinations in either country would be appreciated.

Mar 16th, 2000, 01:50 PM
Debbie

While shopping in the Grand Bazaar(Istanbul) I had to wear my backpack around the front to avoid all of the groping, even had men grab my legs while there. I dressed very conservative (long sleeve top & pants). My two older brothers thought it was rather funny!

Mar 16th, 2000, 02:31 PM
M&J

Hello Allesandra. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed a week in Istanbul.
As a couple, she was never hassled by anyone but we were always together.
If you would like itinerary suggestions about this wonderful city--please email us.

Mar 16th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Elsa

Istanbul is a fascinating city, unlike anything you may have seen in other parts of Europe. However, be careful when taking taxis. We were ripped off when a cab driver said my husband only gave him $6 ($5 $ $1 ) instead of the $10 we had settled on prior to the ride. The driver had a $1 bill ready to exchange (unbeknownst to us) for one of the $5's my husband had handed to him . When we were getting out of the cab, the guy was waving a $5 & $1 at us saying "not enough money." My husband was POSITIVE he gave the driver 2 $5 bills, because that was all the American $$ he had left,except for a few $20s and he didn't want to deal with receiving Turkish Lire in change. There have been other stories like this on this Forum dealing with rip offs in Turkey.

I must say our daughter went to Istanbul and didn't have a problem (she probably wouldn't have told me even if she did.) She LOVED the people she met along the way, south of IST. Very friendly and warm. She is a couple of years younger than you and she was there a about 3 years ago.

I vote for Italy.

Mar 17th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Jade

My finace and I were in Turkey in Oct. Had a great time, spent the secomd week driving along the coast from Antalya to Izmir. Really enjoyed Olimpos. It's quiet, laid back and inexpensive. Stayed at the Hotel Odile for $30, 50 meters from the beach. Several seafood restaurants on beach serving fresh, grilled fish. If you travel along the coast, I recommend renting your own car. There are great spots to stop and take a swim in beautiful clear water, ruins to visit, etc...

Email if you would like more info.

Mar 18th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Karen

Allesandra, I have never been to Turkey, so can't answer your question. However, all the responses so far are from people who were travelling with a man. My experiences as a young woman in Italy were very different when I was with my husband than when I was alone or with my sister. I never felt in danger in Italy, but I was sometimes truly annoyed by unwanted aggressive attention. This is more marked the farther south you go. (On the other hand, I must admit, I always felt very flattered by the more subtle attention of Italian men!). You would be safe in Italy, but I'm not so sure about Turkey. Maybe some women who have travelled there without male partners will respond to your valid concerns.